Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How does the 5D Mk II AF compare to the K-7

I know at least nostatic's had both - anyone care to comment on how the AF on the 5D2 compare with that of the K-7. Canonites often slag the AF of this body, but if it can meet the speed of the K-7, and track better than the K-7, that'll be enough for me... I tried one briefly today at the worlds worst photography store, but I couldn't really get much out of the experience since the salesman didn't know how to set AI Servo mode (and I believe he was the owner of the store ).

So, how 'bout it - I want a 5DII, but the 7D has a strong appeal too... I can justify either for their merits (and I can justify neither, since they won't make me a better photographer either way ).

10-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Kinda hard to say as I didn't shoot them back to back. I did shoot the K20d and 5D2 back to back and it was kinda like night and day wrt speed and accuracy (especially in low light). This was using single/center point with both.

I recall the K7 was better than the K20d especially in low light. But my memory guess would be that the 5D2 is still faster than the K7. The USM lenses are certainly faster than the SDM - no contest there. In ultra low light both will hunt, but that is comparing fast glass on the Pentax (f1.8) to slower glass on the Canon (f4).

K7 will outperform FPS but I don't shoot that way so a non-issue for me. But I'd have to say that AF on the 5D2 is better than K7. But the K7 is totally viable.
10-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks nostatic - that's about what I figured. I guess I'll have to drive two or three hours to a store that's actually heard of customer service (I'll tell the story in another thread about how lame the one hour away store was - insane) and try again.

I agree about FPS - even when I play at being a wildlife shooter, I usually shoot single frames, or just a few in machine gun mode. I find my K-7's AF to be viable as you say, I'd say I like the camera overall but I find it's photos at ISO 3200 to be... ugly.
10-28-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

well, that's a big issue, and was a main reason I switched. I wanted to be able to shoot 3200 and 6400 without losing sleep. Both the 5D2 and D700 allow that. I was generally ok with 1600 on the K20d and K7.

10-28-2009, 04:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You've proven that people will bitch no matter what camera they own. A fella by the name of John Ker is the main photographer for Mountain Bike Action Magazine (one of the biggest bike mags in the world) and the last time I saw him he was still shooting exclusively with the OLD 5D.

I shoot the K-7 and 1DmkIII and although the 1D is faster, the pentax is now fast enough and accurate enough that I don't care about the difference. I suppose if you are talking about low light situations (ISO 3200 you mentioned) then the pentax will still hunt more than the 1D but above a certain threshold of ambient light it is really just comparing "fast" and "faster".

I posted this in the "pentax for weddings" thread showing the speed and accuracy of K-7 and DA*200mm under real shooting conditions https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/783562-post72.html
10-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I can not compare it to K7 I handled it only in store, but I can tell you that central focusing point on 5D2 is very accurate, and other focusing points can miss once in a blue moon.
10-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
You've proven that people will bitch no matter what camera they own. A fella by the name of John Ker is the main photographer for Mountain Bike Action Magazine (one of the biggest bike mags in the world) and the last time I saw him he was still shooting exclusively with the OLD 5D.

I shoot the K-7 and 1DmkIII and although the 1D is faster, the pentax is now fast enough and accurate enough that I don't care about the difference. I suppose if you are talking about low light situations (ISO 3200 you mentioned) then the pentax will still hunt more than the 1D but above a certain threshold of ambient light it is really just comparing "fast" and "faster".

I posted this in the "pentax for weddings" thread showing the speed and accuracy of K-7 and DA*200mm under real shooting conditions https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/783562-post72.html
The 5D, both old and new, tracks great if you're using the center point with the "hidden" assist points enabled. It's just the other AF points that are crappy.

11-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

a bit ot, to the guys that use the 5dmk11 & d700

do you miss ois - or do you think it is overrated?

dyls
11-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I prefer VR and IS over Shake Reduction, SR

I prefer VR and IS over Shake Reduction, SR.

I can see image stabilize in the viewfinder with VR and IS lenses which I cannot do with Pentax. But I cannot stabilize every lens I own like I can with Pentax. Plus when she flies without me for work the Pentax gears travel with her.

My wife was my Little Pentaxian and then she re~gifted the K20D I bought for her, back to me. So I'm keeping Pentax in my kit thesedays but I have been approved to cash~out of K-Mount when I want to. She opted to take over my D700 and one of my 5D classics is hers to use too. So at somepoint when D700 drop solidly below $2,000 I'll probably buy another D700 and call it "Mine". I'll fund the D700 #2 with the sales of the last of my Pentax goodies.

My "Roadmap"

No hurries. Full Frame K Mount Dslr is right around the corner I am always reading, just next couple months away right now, by mid January 2010 right?

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
a bit ot, to the guys that use the 5dmk11 & d700

do you miss ois - or do you think it is overrated?

dyls
11-05-2009, 05:16 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
A fella by the name of John Ker
"Long may we say 'God save the Queen,' because nothing will save the K-7."

About ten people got that.