Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #1

How to achieve this DOF look (video)

I know this isn’t photography related, but this seems like the most appropriate place to post.

Look at this video: YouTube - SEOULMATES GRAFFITI TOUR EPISODE 12 (Antwerp feat.MAD`C)

Scrub to 1 minute and 17 seconds (1:17). See this shot, with the girl?

Besides taking pictures sometimes I'm also into making videos. I really like this shot with the girl and want to recreate that "look".

I'd say it's a safe bet to assume this is all because of the lens he is using. It does seem like a pretty good camera, most likely a HD Semi-professional cam, maybe even a RED. But how can I go about doing this?

It's all in the aperture right? Seems like the f-stop is around f/1.2 to give that amazing shallow depth of field. But also seems like the fish-eye is still being used as the diffraction is quite noticeable. Are there special lens you can buy for video cameras for this type of DOF?

I know it is a bit over the top, but I can see it being used really well in film.

Thanks!

10-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aside from the fisheye distortion which could be added afterwards if you really want it, or buy a regular fisheye lens for your DSLR, it is all DoF control, just like in DSLRs. Read about it - mostly aperture and camera-subject vs subject-background distance.

Here are some DSLR videos with shallow DoF:

A better place for this would be the video forum.

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-30-2009 at 03:32 PM.
10-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
I understand some DSLRs can shoot video, but I was meaning more towards Video Cameras alone.

I believe this is more lens related than what you're actually shooting on (DSLR, HD Video, DV Pro - it don't matter)
10-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nope. Sensor size matters a lot - a small sensor will have to have a very good lens to get that DoF. Read up on DoF.

If you get a video camera with a larger sensor, it will be easier. Most that I know don't really have large sensors, but I haven't looked at expensive video cameras.

Look at P&S - on those you can't get shallow DoF easily. Sensors of many video cameras are similar in size to those sensors, though they may have better lenses. If you zoom very close on P&S, you can get some shallow DoF, but the subject has to be small or you're only seeing a small part of it.. again.. read upon DoF.

The factors again are aperture and camera-subject to subject-background distance ratio. With smaller sensors, you have to increase your camera-subject distance to get the same framing which increases DoF.

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-30-2009 at 03:32 PM.
11-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

with either a 35 or APS-C sized sensor, that type of DOF is easily attained by an F2.8 lens

you have to note that she is VERY FAR from the background, and if it is indeed a fisheye lens, she is very very close to it considering her head is filling up the frame

as such the depth of field is in fact very shallow

check this out, the background is only like 6-7 feet behind and already its nicely out of focus, taken with a 16mm F2.8 fisheye.

11-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Google "dof converter" - they have versions that shake and so on.

Essentially, the way I understand it, you use a very fast SLR lens that casts the image on ground glass, and the video camera shoots off the ground glass.

Last edited by Nesster; 11-02-2009 at 09:51 AM.
11-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Depth-of-field adapter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wiki has your answers.