Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Ricoh GXR is no K-mount (yet?)

Ricoh GXR Wouter photoblog | Wouter Brandsma photography

Well a cartridge with a Kmount and it is done. But will it?
Mmm Innovating certainly but practically ?

11-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A regular K-mount (or other 135 format mount) on the GXR would severely affect the compactness (well, the thickness, to be precise) of the camera because of the required registration distance.

For the same reason, I don't see much of a point in K-mount (or F-mount, or EOS mount) adapters for micro-4/3.

Or the point of the Samsung NX mockups we've seen with their huge zooms.

But maybe I'm just weird.
11-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
But maybe I'm just weird.
No you're not (well, IMO) but at the same time, if I had such m43 thingie, I'd be happy to 'recycle' a macro lens on it, if need arrises. Why not using the DSLR then, well I dunno
11-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
A regular K-mount (or other 135 format mount) on the GXR would severely affect the compactness (well, the thickness, to be precise) of the camera because of the required registration distance.
Attach a pancake lens and you get a coat-pocketbale comba. You won't ever get anything that small with a DSLR.

Prog.

11-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If they came up with a K mount for the thing, the registration distance needs to be the same.

For this reason it will not be thinner then any of the DSLR's that Pentax sells.

I'm too lazy to explain why.
11-11-2009, 03:21 AM   #6

The registration distance won't prevent from pocketing a GXR+Pancake lens in a coat pocket.

Moreover, using a collapsible mechanism could make the registration distance much shorter when the camera is turned off and stored in a pocket. It's been done decades ago, so think what today's technology can do with the same concept

Prog.
11-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #7

But this could be a great solution to use lenses from different manufacturers.
Just imagine cartridges with K-mount, alpha-mount, canon, nikon, FT.
I would love to have some similar with DSRL maintaining the sensor, just changing the mount and some electronics.

I know I'm delirious, never mind.
11-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
If they came up with a K mount for the thing, the registration distance needs to be the same.

For this reason it will not be thinner then any of the DSLR's that Pentax sells.

I'm too lazy to explain why.

Yeah, and you'd end up paying some pretty serious money for something that'll be less useful and more unwieldy than say a K-x. Don't really see the point, just like I don't see the point in the compact some people want Canon to build that'd take EF lenses.