Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax SMC Glass on Micro 4/3?

Anyone here using pentax lenses on the Micro 4/3 platform?
I just picked up the Panasonic GF1 a few weeks ago and my K-mount adapter (Voigtlander K) will arrive next week. I'm anxious to see how the 43 Limited will perform on it or even the FA*80-200.
Just curious if anyone else might have a similar setup. It would be great to see some output from it. If not I'll be sure to post some images next week.

Thanks,
JayT

11-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #2

Original Poster
Well, the SMC glass works very nicely on this little m4/3 sensor.
Here are a couple samples:

JayT
11-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #3

looks amazing.....as always.. :P
12-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Those pictures look pretty good.

I've been curious about using Pentax lenses on these cameras; what functionality (if any) have you lost? It would be great to hear about the pros/cons of a set up like this.

12-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd wager that like most any adapted lens you lose open aperture metering and autofocus (obviously the latter isn't "lost functionality" for the SMC Taks...).
12-16-2009, 06:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

@jay

what camera?

the picture look nice. really.

thumbs up!
12-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #7

If I understand correctly, you can only use lenses with the ring of diaphragms (therefore, only Series A, Series M and Series FA). Of course you lose the AF and you adjust the exposure time directly from GF1. right? someone confirm?
Bye
12-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Those pictures look pretty good.

I've been curious about using Pentax lenses on these cameras; what functionality (if any) have you lost? It would be great to hear about the pros/cons of a set up like this.
The deal-killer for me and m4/3 would be the 2x crop factor: most of my existing glass wouldn't become anything interesting, until you get to basically being telephotoes, and for those jobs, a little EVF camera wouldn't be my first choice, anyway.

If I wanted an m43 camera *anyway,* it *might* be worth buying an adapter, (I like adaptable,) but I wouldn't go there for the express purpose of using old lenses.

12-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A 4/3 system with its 2x crop factor might be good for extreme telephoto range. A 600mm mirror lens would become the equiv of a 1200mm and at the low F/stop you wouldn't be able to focus with a split prism anyway; the 'liveview' would be beneficial. The apparent depth of field would be greater than an APS-C sensor would also help at such and extreme focal legnth.
12-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
Forum Member

I have a GH1 that I purchased exclusively for video. I use my Pentax glass with it, my 50mm 1.7 in particular, and it's really quite a nice setup.
12-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Saaby Quote
I have a GH1 that I purchased exclusively for video. I use my Pentax glass with it, my 50mm 1.7 in particular, and it's really quite a nice setup.
I'd like to use with the Lumix GF1 exactly the Pentax M 50mm F/1.7. How does it work? Set the aperture on the lens and the time on the body? and the manual focus of course!
12-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

While I was in my local camera shop on Monday helping Mr. Claus with his gift for me a fellow was checking out a new Oly D-Pen thing. The folks at the store mentioned the adaptors available and the guy's eyes lit up with mention of the Leica-to-M43 model. He even said he'd love to use his old dual-range on a digi-cam. If he bought the Oly I hope it turns out okay but I'd hate to spend that money only to find I don't like the results from one of my trusted old lenses.

The shop fellow placed a Novoflex adaptor on the Oly and then mounted a 35 Summilux. I've no idea of the resulting photos but the camera-adaptor-lens combo looked just about perfect. I wonder though how many old-timer Leica folks will buy the Oly or Panasonic only to then go for the M9.