Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alsterling Quote
Well guys.... I'll test your observations this AM. When I was at Samy's, they only had one small gondola area for chemicals, and only a few bottles of fixer, developer, etc., spread out on what most would consider a near empty shelf. I remember buying fixer and developer in bulk gallons, and for under $5..... which makes it really tough when I see a gallon of fixer, or maybe concentrate (?), for $32?! (I've gotta' look again...) I'm quite sure there are better buys online. As for the enlargers, and me being in the graphics industry for the last many years, I've seen darkrooms disappear in all companies. I'll never forget, back in the mid 1990's, going to a General Dynamics asset auction, and seeing a huge "locomotive sized" horizontal litho camera being auctioned off for $100. Today, you'd have to pay to get it taken out of your work space. I never thought to look for enlargers, although I saw a decent variety of print papers on Samy's shelf. But if it's home film and print processing, the best supplier in SoCal has always been Freestyle Photo in Hollywood, just off the 101 freeway. They used to sell bulk films, papers and chemicals. Maybe a trip over there would be in order?
FYI, Freestyle has what they call a "Catalog Order Center" in Santa Fe Springs. It's not a full retail location per se, but you go in and tell them what you want and they fill the order on the spot.

QuoteQuote:
Steve, I'll see your "bevy of bodies..." and up the anty with my 500mm f8, catadioptric astrological lens! (smile) Nice meeting you Steve..... I lived in Claremont, CA for over 30 years, and was a family friend of Sam Del Cioppo, from the late great Claremont Camera. We should chat.......?
Nice to meet you too! I must be honest though, I grew up in La Verne, so it is in my nature to resent you as a Claremontian.

Oh how I miss the old Claremont Camera, but once they sliced the store in half it was all over. I still regularly use the Vivitar 28mm lens I purchased there many years ago. Two of the people from CC&V started their own shop after it closed. They named it Claremont Photo & Video. It is down in the village. It is a much smaller place, but it is a good place to stop if you need a roll of film or a battery.

I'll trade you one of the bodies for that 500mm lens!

Last edited by Steve Beswick; 02-06-2010 at 01:05 PM.
02-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention - a few years back I got a Durst enlarger for free, along with a timer, trays, many lenses, a few negative carriers, a couple of different condensers, all sorts of film processing stuff, etc. I now have 1.5 complete darkrooms, minus the actual room. I'm not saying this to rub it in. My point is that you should be able to put a darkroom together for next to nothing. If you can't put the stuff together any other way go to Camera Expo - there is a guy there who will put a darkroom set together for $50.
02-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out Photographers Formulary, I used to buy most of my chemicals from them.

Photographic chemicals, photo chemistry, photo processing equipment, photo chemicals
02-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #49
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Steve...... what is Camera Expo? A store or Flea Market? And per jimH's add about Photographic Formulary, I'll check it out. With internet, I think we all key into our final net billing, which includes shipping and taxes. I went into Freestyle's website, and saw various brands of deleloper, with what may be their private label brand being pretty cheap. I used to buy concentrates and mix my own chemicals. As for the enlargers, the prices I saw in Ebay were not that low. I'm thinking Craig's List or "free to the first person here..." ads, may be the answer to those "giveaway darkrooms" you guys are referring to. And Steve.... I have a niece living in La Verne..... I'm OK with LaVernians! (smile) I really miss living in the area, but for the fact that I was in the Pomona Valley from 1970 thru '05, and the familiarity of knowing where everything is. However..... I must say that we have absolutely no pollution down here in South OC. Although, when I'm driving up North on a business trip, or to Vegas, there's another 35 minutes to an hour of extra driving just to cross L.A. County.

02-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Camera expo is a photography "swap meet" of sorts. It meets roughly 8 times a year in a community center in Anaheim. Google is your friend on this one.

I don't have any real animocity towards Claremont, it's just fun to joke about. If you lived in LaVerne for a while you would understand.
02-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #51
Veteran Member

My B&W poster machine, till the film runs out.

02-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I hate you in such a beautiful way! (in other words, I'm super jealous.)