Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #1

Problems focusing with D40

I have a hard time with proper focus. Its not the cameras fault but mine... I think it always seems to focus on the background and look bad, I so miss manual focus. Ill add pics later

11-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you using center/select point autofocus + recompose? 5,11,area focus gives me problems on any camera, so I choose my focus point.
11-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
theres only three on D40 I wish I had that many. I cant focus up and down this makes it hard
11-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, many people use only center point and focus+recompose, have you tried that?

11-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
yes I useraly do... i dont know
11-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecoronin Quote
theres only three on D40 I wish I had that many. I cant focus up and down this makes it hard
To tell you the truth, even on the D300s with it's 51-points, super-duper AF system, i'm on the central one 99 times out of 100... "Focus and recompose" method works the best... just make sure you're in AF.S mode... As in continuous it will refocus...

Cheers...
11-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a hard time with proper focus. Its not the cameras fault but mine... I think it always seems to focus on the background and look bad, I so miss manual focus. Ill add pics later
If this is a brag about the superiority of Pentax AF compared to the Nikon bottom feeder, thanks for the info.
If it's wondering about how to make Nikon's bottom feeder AF work better, you should probably seek out a Nikon forum for answers.

11-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #8

Original Poster
I am just frustrated thats all... I need to get better. and I think alexeyga is right thanks for the advice thats prart of the problem I think
11-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I am just frustrated thats all... I need to get better. and I think alexeyga is right thanks for the advice thats prart of the problem I think
I also think he is right. A 3 point AF system is not going to hit what you want to focus on except by blind luck. The 11 point AF used by Pentax isn't adequate, and the 51 point used by the D300 is, while a huge improvement over either Pentax of the D40 AF, it still isn't absolutely solid, though it is very good indeed.
11-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I also think he is right. A 3 point AF system is not going to hit what you want to focus on except by blind luck. The 11 point AF used by Pentax isn't adequate, and the 51 point used by the D300 is, while a huge improvement over either Pentax of the D40 AF, it still isn't absolutely solid, though it is very good indeed.
I don't know about others, but in every day's shooting I'm having hard time trusting AF system with more than one point at a time... No matter Pentax, Nikon or whatever...

With only one point in use, I'm always certain where the focus is... But as soon as there's more than one focus point involved, it becomes a wild lottery, it's hard to predict what the camera will choose to snap on...

KISS principle always seem to workout better...

Check your custom settings, switch the option 02 into AF-S Single-servo AF and option 03 into Single area.. that will make things a lot more certain, but a tad less auto...

Last edited by alexeyga; 11-19-2009 at 08:48 AM.
11-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Focus with centre point and recompose works for me 99% of the time (with AFS, of course). The only time I'll use a side focus point is if I'm really moving the focal item to the edge of the frame and I know I'm using one of my lenses that has a pronounced focal curve to it. And even then, I typically switch to manual focus.

I've never had focus problems before using this method.

c[_]
11-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #12

Original Poster
ok I will try this out
11-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
edl
Veteran Member

Here's what I've found from my D40:

1. Use center point (side points have a hard time locking focus) and recompose.
2. For low-light focusing turn on the AF-assist light.
3. If that doesn't work, get a focus screen and skip AF altogether. I use a $20 screen from jinfiance on ebay and a $50 pre-AI 24/2.8 on my D40 as my light walkaround setup, it works pretty good.

Also follow alexeyga's suggestion regarding AF-S and single area.
11-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

How anyone uses the camera's brain to guess where you want to focus is beyond me. I find focus/recompose a tad cumbersome and throws things off at close focus distances.

Solution? Select the AF point yourself and use a camera with at least 9 points
11-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
How anyone uses the camera's brain to guess where you want to focus is beyond me. I find focus/recompose a tad cumbersome and throws things off at close focus distances.

Solution? Select the AF point yourself and use a camera with at least 9 points
I thought about, that the af doesnt work close up at all with my kit lens... thanks for the advice