Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2010, 07:39 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Out of curiosity, how heavy is that TTL finder? Enough to make the camera top-heavy? (And is it a 45 degree jobbie?) I'm having difficulty recalling what I saw when I was poking around: I still have the notion of possibly going to such a finder for steadiness' sake in the future.

02-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Out of curiosity, how heavy is that TTL finder? Enough to make the camera top-heavy? (And is it a 45 degree jobbie?) I'm having difficulty recalling what I saw when I was poking around: I still have the notion of possibly going to such a finder for steadiness' sake in the future.
Here's three pictures of how the kiev looks with the waist level finder (collapsed and deployed), and the TTL finder. The TTL finder is significantly heavier (duh) than the waist level finder, and the fact that it does not collapse, makes the camera fairly unbalanced in my hands, especially when trying to shoot some shots. Not only that, I find it a little awkward to use the TTL finder due to how much the film back protrudes into my face, when I'm trying to use it. It's easy TO use, just not comfortable to use.

That, and I really like the simplicity of the waist level finder. You do have to center your eye to get the focusing aids to work properly, but that's it.

Name:  Kiev1.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  66.9 KB
Name:  Kiev2.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  59.6 KB
Name:  Kiev3.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  64.1 KB
02-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VF-19 Quote
Here's three pictures of how the kiev looks with the waist level finder (collapsed and deployed), and the TTL finder. The TTL finder is significantly heavier (duh) than the waist level finder, and the fact that it does not collapse,
makes the camera fairly unbalanced in my hands, especially when trying to shoot some shots. Not only that, I find it a little awkward to use the TTL finder due to how much the film back protrudes into my face, when I'm trying to use it. It's easy TO use, just not comfortable to use.

That, and I really like the simplicity of the waist level finder. You do have to center your eye to get the focusing aids to work properly, but that's it.

Indeed: especially with square format, WLF's are nice. Also,they're nice because they're lighter. I'm so very out of practice leveling the reversed image, is my only problem with my 645's. And I do like verticals and such.

Finder very bright or dim, come to think of it? It is rather a boxy one, at that.
02-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The finder is surprisingly bright, just really awkward to use.

Also, the standard ground glass that the kit came with, comes with markings (in addition to the split-prisim and mirco-prisim collar focusing aids) to aid in composition, and to help level horizons (or get your verticals vertical), making it easy to setup your shots.

02-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VF-19 Quote
The finder is surprisingly bright, just really awkward to use.

Also, the standard ground glass that the kit came with, comes with markings (in addition to the split-prisim and mirco-prisim collar focusing aids) to aid in composition, and to help level horizons (or get your verticals vertical), making it easy to setup your shots.
Cool. Crop marks are really useful with square-format cameras. I think I may have mentioned somewhere how out of practice I've become leveling a waist-level finder.

It doesn't look from here like I'd have a terribly hard time fitting my face behind there (I guess I do have these really high cheekbones) but I'll take it under advisement, should I end up looking that way: plenty of time to not-worry about that just now.

I wonder if you could get away with trying to extend the eyepiece a little, if you wanted to use that one.
02-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I could... But I'd rather use the waistfinder and a lightmeter.

Just a heads up, if you're looking to actually buy one of these, make absoluely sure that whomever you buy it from is willing to do refunds. I purchased a "new-old stock" kit, so at least mine was never used, and you can be sure I was going to fight for the $200 if the camera turned out to be a dud (which of course it isn't). I bought my camera from ebay user sovjak, and if you're looking for a Kiev, he has one for sale.

Also: | Kievaholic Klub - The place for Kiev lovers everywhere | This website is VERY useful in operating the camera, especially the part about how to load the magazine.

Also also: The standard strap sucks *insert something of your choice*. I'd reccomend getting the optional wide strap. It's more comfortable, and it's cheap. It can be had for less than $20 including shipping.
02-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Right, VF. Good advice for anyone with these, really.

Such things are sort of distant on the radar for me just now, but I've been curious for the future. If it's about something important, I'll try and obtain one someone can vouch for, even if it costs more. I suppose it's also possible I might take a chance on a real bargain sometime if I ever get caught up on the repair projects I already have backed up, and something tempting-for-a-lark comes my way.

I've been wondering about them since I was doing the shopping that ended me up with this old Mamiya, but I wasn't too inclined to try anything too risky or unfamiliar then.