12-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Canon 7D Weather Sealed?

Canon 7D Weather Sealed?

7D #1 Weather Sealing

12-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's pretty impressive. I'd trust my 1Ds2 to handle anything up to and including submersion, but the 50D is a different story altogether. Glad they have a solid crop body now.
12-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LOOK AT THE 4TH PICTURE IN THE ARTICLE.
12-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

LOL is that sea lion tring to eat one of their lighting stands or tripods? haha!

12-07-2009, 01:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Have been some very "mixed" reviews from pro togs re: the 7D, with most not enjoying it's image quality nor it's Af
12-07-2009, 03:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
7D is a complicated camera

7D is a complicated camera. Some are doing real well with theirs. Some not so well. Still fun to read about:

Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera Review
12-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well my friend just picked one up and he's having a blast with it (he also uses a 1d iii and 50D, does weddings and sports journalism). One of these days hopefully I'll get to try it out (maybe with my old 85mm on it, which he bought). If I think to bring a CF card I'll shoot some RAWs and form an opinion on the IQ, but in the meantime I kind of feel like people are misevaluating and not learning to play to the camera's strengths, kind of like how everyone complained about how soft and noisy the 50D was right after release, and they're only just realizing that it is indeed cleaner and sharper than the 40D.

12-08-2009, 05:21 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Have been some very "mixed" reviews from pro togs re: the 7D, with most not enjoying it's image quality nor it's Af
Yes, 7D's pixel size is so tiny, that everything except the very best lenses will give soft results. Check this: Leica S2 Field and Studio Review

"The best current lenses are able to out resolve sensors with pixel pitches in the 6 micron range. Once we get below 5 microns (if we can do so without compromising image quality in pro-grade sensors) even the best current lenses may become the limiting factor. Note the use of the words "best lenses". While top lenses have an edge, everyday lenses are easily out-resolved by today's sensors."

So putting a dim crappy pile of glass in front of 7D (4.3µm square pixel pitch) is guaranteed to fail.
12-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, the dpreview res test was done with a 50/1.4 (certainly not an exotic or expensive lens) and showed an increase in resolution over the 50D as was expected. I'd take the "top lenses" thing with a grain of salt; most lenses today will challenge even the most pixel dense sensors if stopped down a bit.

It's kind of funny that both the 50D and the 7D have met the following arguments:

a) The sensor is too noisy/soft to increase resolution
b) You need super awesome lenses to take advantage of the increase in resolution

Wonder which it is?

Maybe... neither?
12-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Does anyone have a link to an article of a test or field review for the K-7, K10, K20, or K200D's weatherproofing?

Or even the DA* lenses?

Thanks.
12-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Pentax Corp doesn't do such stuff - they believe their camera's and their abilities sells themselves
12-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The best I've seen them done something like that is the Russian ad with the DA*55mm and K-7 soaked with dirt and water at a spot taht looks like a rocky beach.

The next best one is all those videos of people washing their sealed pentaxes under running water
12-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I got 7D and it is very cool. It is definitely making tracking a much easier task. Though, I found the image quality has yet improved with successive generation of camera bodies...
12-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
Does anyone have a link to an article of a test or field review for the K-7, K10, K20, or K200D's weatherproofing?

Or even the DA* lenses?

Thanks.
Here are some I've come across :
http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/images/pages/Pentax_1_1600.jpg

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/images/pages/Pentax_2_1600.jpg

and an older thread :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/56275-coffee-spilled-camera-2.html

From the DPr review of the Eos 7D, they write :
"The red color on the illustration means sealing, green shows strengthened seams on the magnesium body."
and
"Construction and environmental seals
In keeping with its XD designation, the 7D shares the same extensively-sealed magnesium construction as the 5D Mark II. Canon again claims the same degree of moisture and dust resilience as the EOS-1N pro-level film SLR from the 1990s."

So it is better than the Eos 50D. But as Ole Jørgen Liodden write, not as good as the Eos 1Ds Mark series.

All in all, those are some great shots from the link. Love Nature photography like that.

From the Canon introduction of the Eos 7D, they wrote :
"Canon has listened to photographer feedback when designing the body, as well as the internal technologies. A magnesium alloy body offers environmental protection – the tough, lightweight construction is designed to defend against moisture, and dust – equivalent to the legendary EOS–1N."

From an older link of Canon lenses, it is written :
"A system is only as strong as its weakest link, and so if you intend to shoot under adverse conditions, not only the lens needs to be weather sealed, but the camera has to be as well. The current "1 series" cameras (and some older digital "1 series" cameras) are all weather sealed. In the film camera line the EOS 1v was the first (and only) such camera. The earlier EOS-1 and EOS-1n were seled to some extent, but not as effectively as the EOS-1v."
Canon EOS Weathersealed Lenses - Lensplay.com

The new Eos 7D is up to the EOS–1N, just shy of the EOS-1v. But the best; apart from the Canon One series. And as the link demonstrates, very capable indeed.

I do wonder why he uses ThinkTank “raincoat” for his 300mm. Is that an f/4 version, which might not have extensive sealing ?

Good thing for Canon users that they've felt pressured into supplying better sealing. Competition help all us comsumers.
The Eos 7D has set new standards for high-end crop DSLRs, and now it is up for other brands to close the gap.

Another Norwegian who recently visited Antarctica, is our own Jostein Øksne :
Alunfoto
That is one area that I would really like to see one day.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 12-23-2009 at 05:37 PM.
12-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I just picked up the 7D 15-85 kit with the battery grip along with another set of SDM 16-135 zooms; no 10-17 BOOO!, all i can say is i'm impressed ...the salesperson had that look on his face..."BIG COMMISSION...Merry Xmas"

Too bad there are no EFS weather sealed lenses?

Last edited by Clicker; 12-24-2009 at 03:22 PM.