Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Question for LX3/G11 (or similar) owners...

I've been considering a new point and shoot for some time. I know what both are capable of... That's not really the question. The question is, do you reach for them, even when you have a more capable Pentax kit - a Pentax kit that can be quite portable with the limited lenses?

Here's my situation... I have some decent Pentax gear, including some of the beautiful primes. I also have a Sigma DP1 - a camera that I truly enjoy its output. However, as much as I have tried to convince myself otherwise, I hate the handling (slow) and the focal length is not ideal for how I shoot. I'd rather it be wider or longer. Think I will sell it (ouch! I was one of the first adopters at $800) and use the $350-400 towards either high end P&S OR a new LTD - DA21 perhaps.

I'm not new to the P&S scene. I have had too many over the years, including more recently a G9, DLux 3 (on two different occasions), Fuji F20, Canon A570is, Canon A610, and probably others that I cannot remember right now.

When I sold my last one - the F20, I had come to the conclusion that I just didn't use it. I'd rather have the money towards a lens or something that will benefit my DSLR use.

Any thoughts here? The weight/size isn't a big factor. A K2000/Ltd combo is pretty light and relatively small. I'd like to think I would enjoy not carrying around a DSLR, but something tells me I still would.

12-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
Forum Member

I use my LX3 a bit more than my K10D. An SLR, even with a low profile prime like the Ltds just isnt practical for me to carry around. If I'm going out on the town I definitely use the LX3. It takes visibly better pictures than most point and shoots, is plenty fast and fits in a small bag or jacket pocket.

However, as you would expect, the K10D takes noticeably better pictures, especially at ISO 200-800 (anything above 400 on either camera is pretty lousy but 800 is usably medicore on the K10 while just plain horrid on the LX3). I also enjoy shooting with the K10D much more, the controls are of course far superior.

So, if I'm out and about but not planning on shooting and want a camera just in case I see something inspring, I reach for the LX3.

If I'm actively shooting or doing something particularly scenic (motorcycle trips/hiking etc), I take the Pentax and a tripod.

Not to say that the LX3 cant take enthusiast-grade photos (I've been amazed in good and even decent lighting) but the SLR is of course going to get better results more often.

Hope that helps!

12-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
edl
Veteran Member

Nice response, PaddyB. I agree with everything you said.

OP, I think it depends on how much size matters to you. Here's my setup when I think of weight:

Everyday - always in my backpack or coat pocket - LX3
Slightly better, but not serious shooting - D40 + 24/2.8 or 35/1.8
I'm going somewhere primarily to take photos - D700 + full kit

I've been pleased with the LX3, and would buy it again in a heartbeat. I'd also consider the Canon S90 if you're not a strobist.
12-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I appreciate both replies. It's a little bit of a tough situation for me because I can't seem to figure out what will work best for me. I'd like to have a hot shoe, so S90 is out (otherwise it would be a winner). The LX3 is the price I want, size, speed (f2.0), wide angle, but doesn't have an affordable under water housing. Not a must have, but is a would like to have. On the otherhand, the G11 has the tilt swivel LCD, good handling, reasonable under water case, but at the expense of size and speed.

Just like every other camera, there is no perfect solution.

On top of that, I still question if I would use it.

Well DP1 is up for sale. Perhaps that is step 1. Once that is sold, I can prioritize and decide what makes the most sense for me and my shooting.

12-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
ouch! I was one of the first adopters at $800
Sigma (or just dome dealer) is apparently dumping a lot of (new) DP1S now for ~EU180

WOW! Just snatched a new DP1s for 178 EUR ! [Page 1]: Sigma SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

what a drop...
12-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've been considering a new point and shoot for some time. I know what both are capable of... That's not really the question. The question is, do you reach for them, even when you have a more capable Pentax kit - a Pentax kit that can be quite portable with the limited lenses?
I have both LX3 and now DP2 both in my bag (I wish Panasonic had Foveon... that thing and in GF1 body...)... Кх is too big alone
12-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
edl
Veteran Member

I appreciate both replies. It's a little bit of a tough situation for me because I can't seem to figure out what will work best for me. I'd like to have a hot shoe, so S90 is out (otherwise it would be a winner). The LX3 is the price I want, size, speed (f2.0), wide angle, but doesn't have an affordable under water housing. Not a must have, but is a would like to have. On the otherhand, the G11 has the tilt swivel LCD, good handling, reasonable under water case, but at the expense of size and speed.

Just like every other camera, there is no perfect solution.

On top of that, I still question if I would use it.

Well DP1 is up for sale. Perhaps that is step 1. Once that is sold, I can prioritize and decide what makes the most sense for me and my shooting.
Well, if you carry it everyday you'll use it. I don't think you'll be dissapointed by the image quality unless you zoom to 100% to look at pixels (maybe you do, i don't know). I've found that these cameras work great for web postings and non-critical printing tasks. And they're much better than the typical P&S (which looks smudgy and bad even at 25%)

On the other hand, these are relatively cheap cameras with good market demand. Just purchase one online with Bing cashback; if you don't like it you're out maybe $50-75 on resale.

12-16-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
Forum Member

I also have a Sigma DP1 - a camera that I truly enjoy its output. However, as much as I have tried to convince myself otherwise, I hate the handling (slow) and the focal length is not ideal for how I shoot. I'd rather it be wider or longer. Think I will sell it (ouch! I was one of the first adopters at $800) and use the $350-400 towards either high end P&S OR a new LTD - DA21 perhaps.
DP1 and 21 on pentax have about the same angle (28 and 31mm in 35mm equvalent).
so anglewise it does not make sense to have both.
I have DP1 and DA21 - different purposes. I use pentax when I need faster AF and can take bigger staff (not a pocket camera).
I bought f100fd fuji for my wife - it has better sensor, smaller size but optically not as good as G11 or X3 - I'm trying to avoid using it as fa as I can use sigma or pentax
12-16-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by artemapei Quote
DP1 and 21 on pentax have about the same angle (28 and 31mm in 35mm equvalent).
so anglewise it does not make sense to have both.
I have DP1 and DA21 - different purposes. I use pentax when I need faster AF and can take bigger staff (not a pocket camera).
I bought f100fd fuji for my wife - it has better sensor, smaller size but optically not as good as G11 or X3 - I'm trying to avoid using it as fa as I can use sigma or pentax
I definitely realize that DA21 provides a similar focal length, but that 28-36mm focal length is missing from my selection primes. I'd rather carry the DA21 when I want to shoot in that range than another camera (and possibly battery and charger).