Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Reasons to own camera bodies from different brands

I only own one pentax DSLR, but I've considered buying the K-x when it gets to a reasonable price. Then I would have to buy some more lenses to go with it.

I haven't really thought much about buying a Nikon or Canon camera, although these are often available at very favorable prices, too.

What would be a good reason to buy an alternate brand body? Suggest a lens that isn't available in K mount that would make owning another brand a good alternative.

12-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The question I'd ask is: what do you want a second system for?
If you're happy with Pentax performance, then is there a need for you to look elsewhere when you have lenses now that'll fit on the K-x that's in your sights?

Most photogs who invest in 2nd or 3rd systems have a clear use for each system, like Canon 1D for sports or Nikon D300 for very low light work (these are just examples), where the Pentax lacks in their opinion (even justifiably so).

Consider the cost of going to a second system also, which may not be as big a deal for a pro, but should be for an amateur/enthusiast.
12-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I tried carrying around a 4/3 setup (panasonic L1 and olympus 70-300) - got a good deal on it and thought it would be useful for wildlife (with the 2x crop factor of the 4/3 sensor the 300mm turns into a 600mm equivalent lens), but it just ended up being a pain in the a$$. Even still, I have more than I know what to do with, but if I think about leaning out my lens lineup I can't really bring myself to get rid of any one lens, they all serve their own purpose.
12-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
I only own one pentax DSLR, but I've considered buying the K-x when it gets to a reasonable price. Then I would have to buy some more lenses to go with it.

I haven't really thought much about buying a Nikon or Canon camera, although these are often available at very favorable prices, too.

What would be a good reason to buy an alternate brand body? Suggest a lens that isn't available in K mount that would make owning another brand a good alternative.
If you're into architecture / city scapes and such, the Canon lineup of tilt/shift lenses could make you jump ship to the dark side. Me, I did it for the autofocus performance (and if I knew then what I know now, the "affordable" 300/4 and 400/5.6) and lens adaptability (M42, OM, C/Y etc).

Unless you have a real NEED to run a second system though it makes more sense to buy a backup body for your current system if you're doing any paid work, or spend the money on good lenses.

12-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What would be a good reason to buy an alternate brand body?
m4/3 to be able (w/ adapters of course) to mount almost anything out there if necessary...
12-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
If you're into architecture / city scapes and such, the Canon lineup of tilt/shift lenses could make you jump ship to the dark side. Me, I did it for the autofocus performance (and if I knew then what I know now, the "affordable" 300/4 and 400/5.6) and lens adaptability (M42, OM, C/Y etc).
Seconded... Canons's 17mm and 24mm T/S set.

And the price difference between our 60-250 and Canon's 70-200/4 IS is probably enough to buy a used canon body....
12-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
edl
Veteran Member

... Suggest a lens that isn't available in K mount that would make owning another brand a good alternative.
Any of the Canon L primes, Canon 70-200 F/4, Nikon 14-24, Nikon 85/1.4...

12-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Quality used lenses can be had in Nikon land.

Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G AF-S ($199 new)
Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D ($109 new)
Nikon 85mm f/1.8 AF-D ($320 used/near mint)
Nikon 105mm f/2.5 AIS (MF) ($190 used)
Nikon 180mm f/2.8 AF ED IF ($540 used/near mint)
Nikon 300mm f/4 AF ED IF ($491 used, won ebay auction/near mint)
12-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently bought a Konica SLR in order to try Konica AR lenses, particularly the 40/1.8 pancake.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-03-2010 at 05:04 AM.
12-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

First determine what you want to do with the camera and then buy what you need to do the job. Just about all the DSLR's out there will produce very good results most of the time. There are always newer models and digital technology is improving at a rapid rate. All this great new stuff we are reading about today will be outdated and obsolete this time next year. Owning 2 brands could get expensive. Also keep in mind that there is a lot of BS floating around, like you CAN'T shoot sports with a Pentax. While it's true that if you want to spend a few thousand more there are some cameras that will get you better performance for sports shooting, or better high ISO, etc., I find my "oblolete" K10D more than adaquete.
12-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Lust, baby, sheer lust. There are so many cheap cameras out there that it's easy to satisfy all those long-suppressed desires for the one of your dreams. However, as others have pointed out, you could rapidly wind up with a truckload of gear that eventually becomes ripe for a garage sale. Certainly, there's no single camera that can do it all and the more serious you become about photography the more likely it is that you'll acquire several. But it's also worth remembering the likes of Henri Cartier-Bresson, who struggled along with just a Leica and a couple of lenses for most of his career. And he did quite well, quite well...
12-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

To have more forums to complain on?

Seriously, I've invested in Pentax glass so I'm not going anywhere anytime soon unless I win the lottery. But, the M43 bodies with a K-mount adapter are tempting...
01-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I added the Canon 7D for the speed for certain sports i like to shoot, Pentax can't come close, this is one of my hobbies. Pentax finally has nice fast teles but not the body, K7 maxs out at 5fps and can only shoot certain situations...i want all situations covered so Canon was added. As someone mentioned if you're an enthusiast, it can be taxing on the pocket carrying a muti-brand system.
01-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Only reason for me to switch would be if A: your current camera brand does not produce a body with x feature you need or B: specialty lenses (canon MP-E65 for example)
01-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

"Suggest a lens that isn't available in K mount that would make owning another brand a good alternative."

EF 70-200 F2.8L
This lens is worth buying 5D2 for it. Canon L primes are not bad ether.