Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #1

P&S Camera

I'm wondering what P&S cameras people have that they love. I shoot mainly my k20d, but I have my lame little Canon camera for pocket needs. I hate it. I bought it 2 years ago and the one we had 7 years ago was better. I was wondering what is one you love that takes good pictures and is fairly fast (for catching pictures of kids). I'd like one that has sharp quality and doesn't throw in a bunch of noise. My Canon has noise even on low speeds (100, 200) and is just not that great in picture quality. I don't know if I got a defective one, but I need another one. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Michelle

12-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
PFH
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beside my K-7 and my K20D I also have a Canon G10, maybe not exactly a P&S but I rarely leave home without it. I just wish that Pentax would make a camera in this class.
Here´s an example with the G10 on 200 iso.
Attached Images

12-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PFH Quote
Beside my K-7 and my K20D I also have a Canon G10, maybe not exactly a P&S but I rarely leave home without it. I just wish that Pentax would make a camera in this class.
Here´s an example on what the G10 is capable of on 200 iso.
I have to agree, my Canon G9 is a stellar P&S:

12-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Check out the P&S section of this forum. There are questions like yours from time to time there and I bet with a little searching, you can get some great ideas from past threads.

Jason

12-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mchud Quote
My Canon has noise even on low speeds (100, 200) and is just not that great in picture quality. I don't know if I got a defective one, but I need another one. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Michelle
Hrm, if you got that a couple of years ago, this may be because it is from the height of the 'megapixel wars' where they'd be cramming more MP on to those little sensors regardless of whether or not it made better images.

How little do you want it to be, and what's the budget?

I'm generally pretty positive on Panasonic/Lumix P&S cameras, such as I've seen. (I have an old FZ-7 I've always really liked, inherent performance limitations aside.)
12-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mchud Quote
I'm wondering what P&S cameras people have that they love. I shoot mainly my k20d, but I have my lame little Canon camera for pocket needs. I hate it. I bought it 2 years ago and the one we had 7 years ago was better. I was wondering what is one you love that takes good pictures and is fairly fast (for catching pictures of kids). I'd like one that has sharp quality and doesn't throw in a bunch of noise. My Canon has noise even on low speeds (100, 200) and is just not that great in picture quality. I don't know if I got a defective one, but I need another one. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Michelle
I just bought a G10, (a gift for my wife who wants an easy to use camera) I have been doing some experimenting with it and above ISO 400 it does have more noise than I'm used to. It is a bit slow to focus when in low lighting conditions but the little camera has a very diverse range of user choices. Very close to a DSLR in a compact body. (well not as compact as some others). The view finder is IMHO useless. I never use the live view LCD on my K20 so getting use to it on the Canon is taking some time. I do like the color the camera renders, very natural looking. When I was making my choice I had it narrowed down to 3-- Nikon P-6000, Lumix(sorry forgot the model), And the Canon G10. All were around $400-$500.
The biggest factor in my decision making was the fact that 2 sales persons at 2 different camera shops recommended it even though they no longer carried the G10. I am in the same situ as yourself, If I want great pics I shoot the K20 with fast glass. But the little Canon seems like it's gonna be along for the ride a lot of the time.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachhttps://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/...1&d=1261234207
Attached Images

12-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roverlr3 Quote
But the little Canon seems like it's gonna be along for the ride a lot of the time.
I thought it was a present for the wife...

12-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have an Olympus C5050z. The zoom is like a 30mm to 90mm in 35mm full frame equivalent. Not much range, but oh so fast, f1.8 at the wide end and f2.3 at the tele end. Sharp too. It has a flash shoe as well as a built in flash, an optical viewfinder as well as a tilt LCD, and can take an adapter for filters or front converter lenses, and it runs on AA batteries.
GP
12-20-2009, 06:02 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
I thought it was a present for the wife...
I got to get it all sorted out so I can explain how it works to her. You know, make sure the camera is in working order. LOL
12-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I have an Olympus C5050z. The zoom is like a 30mm to 90mm in 35mm full frame equivalent. Not much range, but oh so fast, f1.8 at the wide end and f2.3 at the tele end. Sharp too. It has a flash shoe as well as a built in flash, an optical viewfinder as well as a tilt LCD, and can take an adapter for filters or front converter lenses, and it runs on AA batteries.
GP
gp, can you post some examples? I'm curious.
12-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

The president of Pentax Imaging recommends one of the Leica cameras very highly.
12-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I highly recommend the Ricoh GRD/GX series. Great user controls, good, relatively fast optics, good IQ for a P&S, built like tanks. As with all other cameras, subsequent generations have better ISO performance, but there are even fans of the quality of the GRD's noise. Apparently, B&W conversion results in a nice, filmlike grain...
12-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The president of Pentax Imaging recommends one of the Leica cameras very highly.
I have the "OEM" version of said camera and like it quite a bit!
12-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The Panasonic LX-3 is fantastic. I just love mine.
Panasonic have made a good camera great with their latest firmware upgrades.
12-24-2009, 01:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Do you mind posting a picture of the unsatisfactory results from your Canon? If we can see where it's failing, we can better recommend a replacement that doesn't have that flaw.

Noise isn't a huge problem... there are ways to reduce that in post processing, but it the detail isn't there, it's going to be difficult!