Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 05:44 AM   #1

Rugged film camera for travel

Hi all,

Am going to be travelling in the next few months and looking at my itinerary, I have neither the space, strength or inclination to carry my K20 across several different countries.

So, I'd like some recommendations on a rugged analogue camera to take with me. I'm looking for something compact(ish), sturdy, preferably mechanical and something that wouldn't break the bank!

So yes, if money wasn't a concern, I'd pick up an M4 and be done with it. However, I'd love some ideas...

12-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Pentax MX if you're digging pentax gear, LX if you can afford it
OM-1 is a favorite for many, Nikon FM2n with its 1/4000 shutter
there are also the older Minolta and Canon FD cameras of which i am not too familiar

if you can get a trance, try to handle some of the different cameras and see which one you like the most and then also decide based upon the lenses you want and are available. if you're into the normal standard lenses, pentax makes probably one of the best 50 1.4s
12-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #3

+1 for the MX on the Pentax side. Also look into the KX and Spotmatics, but they might be a bit large. The OM-1 is a good choice too, as are the various Minolta SRTs (though SRTs are large metal bricks of cameras too.) Canon has the FT, FTb, AE-1, A-1, and AE-1 Program (the first three are mechanical, the last three are electronic bodies.) The Canon F1 series might also work for you, but being a professional-grade SLRs they are large, heavy cameras. I don't know as much about Nikons as I should, but I know the FM series are all great bodies.
12-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From the Pentax side of things, a pre-Chinese K1000 wouldn't be a bad choice.

12-28-2009, 02:10 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
duplicate thread

Closed
Please don't start duplicate threads in different sections of the forum.

Follow this thread here.
Closed Thread