Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Samsung NX-10 Preview at DPR

Samsung NX10 Hands on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

QuoteQuote:
15.1 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor (presumed to be close relation to Pentax K7 sensor)
14.6 million effective pixels
New Samsung NX mount (25.5mm flange-back distance)
720P movie capture (H.264, 30 fps)
Contrast-detect autofocus
3.0" AMOLED screen (614,000 dots, PenTile RGB array)
921k dot Electronic Viewfinder
30mm F2 pancake and 18-55mm standard zoom options

Last edited by LeDave; 01-03-2010 at 05:38 PM.
01-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

haha, was looking for something about this in the off-brand forum...

Why is the olympus 420 the benchmark of 'small dslrs'? I would like to see it next to the Kx as well. Maybe if they can manage a fully functional K mount adapter it might be interesting, at the moment just looks like a really small dslr lacking an optical VF. I just ordered a gf1/20mm from panasonic, and this isnt making me scramble for the cancel order button.
01-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
haha, was looking for something about this in the off-brand forum...

Why is the olympus 420 the benchmark of 'small dslrs'? I would like to see it next to the Kx as well. Maybe if they can manage a fully functional K mount adapter it might be interesting, at the moment just looks like a really small dslr lacking an optical VF. I just ordered a gf1/20mm from panasonic, and this isnt making me scramble for the cancel order button.
I don't think the 420 would be that much smaller anyways. Even with the dimensional differences, the size of the K-x is unnoticeable smaller than the D5000 when seen side-by-side together.

Even with a K-mount adapter, I still see that that the new NX lenses contain a OIS on and off button, so either way they won't be stabilized. I wonder how much this 14.6 MP sensor changed from the K-7, or if they even changed it at all as well as the price.
01-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

the lack of stabilization is kinda disapointing, I suppose it was cost prohibitive to get the rights from Pentax (they probably wanted collaboration rather than money). It could also possibly be due to size, as it is a very small registration distance for lenses considering the aps-c sensor size.

I was wondering, did they have to pay Pentax for use of the Fn button, or is that a universal abbreviation? joking!

WITH a K mount adapter this could be a viable system...but there hasnt been any official announcement of such an adapter. the longer they wait, the more people they will lose to panasonic - they also need a lens roadmap, two kits and a pancake arent going to cut it!

01-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

WITH a K mount adapter this could be a viable system...but there hasnt been any official announcement of such an adapter. the longer they wait, the more people they will lose to panasonic - they also need a lens roadmap, two kits and a pancake arent going to cut it!
Agreed, an adapter would be a huge advantage... but then again this thing got announced today.
01-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

I was wondering, did they have to pay Pentax for use of the Fn button, or is that a universal abbreviation? joking!
I think the question should be more applicable to the use of the green button on NX10
01-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mirek Quote
I think the question should be more applicable to the use of the green button on NX10
holy crap, missed that one! Definitely infringement I think...wait you cant patent a button, or green? ah well.

01-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by dpreview:
• Adaptor for Pentax K mount lenses tba
... and Samsung execs earlier said in an interview that a K mount adapter was likely.

DA limiteds on a body sized like this - yummy - BUT no SR/IS and AF ???
01-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm here's some interesting facts as well as several differences from the K-7.

Metering: 247-zone multi-pattern sensing system

3 FPS Continuous shooting up to 3 RAW or 10 JPEG, Burst (30fps, 30 shots with a single press of the shutter, 1.4 MP)

Sensitivity max out at 3200 with no expansion.

Focus modes include 15-Area-Focusing (normal) / 35-area-focusing (close up), Contrast-detect Auto Focus, Face Detection (max 10 faces, 1 Point AF (free selection)

Metering Range is 0-18 EV

Max shutter speed of 1/4000s

Also look at this, Samsung NX10 Hands on Preview: 2. Specifications: Digital Photography Review It states "Adaptor for Pentax K mount lenses tba"

Last edited by LeDave; 01-03-2010 at 07:25 PM.
01-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
... and Samsung execs earlier said in an interview that a K mount adapter was likely.

DA limiteds on a body sized like this - yummy - BUT no SR/IS and AF ???
True. The NX was also 'announced' before the panasonic G1, GH1, GF1 and olympus EP-1 and EP-2 were released. For now I'll file this next to the FF threads (in the rumor section)...if the camera doesn't sell then the adapter won't follow (of course there will be 2 dozen ebay sellers with adapters for every mount type anyway, unless they offer at the least auto aperture and preferably AF, the 3rd party adapters will probably corner that market before the TBA announced adapter hits the street).

The smaller brands also pretty much NEED SR to compete (panny has gone the OIS route though, but they have a pretty strong brand loyalty themselves with their advanced P&S lineup, and their OIS carries over by name). On that subject, is samsung's in-lens OIS licensed from panny? I realize it simply stands for optical image stabilization, but every manufacturer uses different terminology, why use the same acronym?
01-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't see the great size advantage. Once the NX has a K-mount adapter, and a lens, it will be almost the same size as the Pentax K-x. The depth will be the same (front of the lens to the back of the camera), and the width is the same. The only size advantage is the NX is 6mm shorter.

Am I missing something here?
01-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Am I missing something here?
Perhaps you aren't. It's hard to compare the camera sizes but in fact it seems that NX-10 is close to the G1 one which according to dpr isn't all that much bigger than a K-x. A pity.

Digital Cameras Side-by-Side, 2 cameras: Digital Photography Review
01-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Perhaps you aren't. It's hard to compare the camera sizes but in fact it seems that NX-10 is close to the G1 one which according to dpr isn't all that much bigger than a K-x. A pity.

Digital Cameras Side-by-Side, 2 cameras: Digital Photography Review
To add another data point, here's our beloved K-x besides my brother's E-P1. The K-x has the DA40/2.8 mounted while the E-P1 has the Panasonic 20/1.7 mounted.

The NX-10 and E-P1 and Panasonic GF are all similarly-sized. As small as the K-x is, it's not that small. That said, Pentax could use the K-x as the basis for a great EVIL camera -

It would take 5 steps:

1 - Remove the grip by replacing the AAs with a rectangular Li-ion
2 - Remove the pentamirror and replace with an electronic viewfinder (EVF)
3 - Chop the lens mount area so that it's flush with the body (doable thanks to step 2)
4 - Develop an adapter so that current lenses can be mounted (maintain registration distance and electrical contacts)
5 - Release a new line of lenses based on the reduced registration distance

Until that day comes, I'll be eyeing the NX-10 and M43 models and appropriate k-mount adapters...
01-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #14
Forum Member

But add to the E-P1 an oly lens adaptor and I think it will be same size as k-x.
01-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

According to Pentax Ceo Pentax makes Samsung Dslrs

According to Pentax Ceo, Pentax makes Samsung Dslrs, so that means Pentax makes the NX-10 for Samsung too, right ???

Maybe this is why pentax can only make two dslrs thesedays, K-x and K-7 as they also been preparing to make NX-10 for Samsung. I'd like to know if NX-10 is made in Philippines or Korea to decide who builds NX-10.

Hoya Eyes $1 Billion M&A to Boost Health Business (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

"Partnership For Pentax

The Pentax division will have to build a partnership in order to compete with larger rivals in the digital-camera market, Hamada said. Pentax supplies Samsung with single-lens-reflex cameras for sale under the South Korean company’s brand. "

Last edited by Samsungian; 01-03-2010 at 11:06 PM.