Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
What I haven't read here yet is that the NX10 could well be the MF lenses shooter's dream. I mean... An APS-C sensor is way bigger than the 4/3 sensor, so finally a nice solution for shooting our old DSLR lenses, even the ones that could not be used on DSLR's previously (for instance the Canon FD and Konica mount which both have shorter registration distances than the PK mount).

I would think that the Chinese mount adapter makers would completely jump on this new camera.
I agree. This is one of the less mentioned benefits of getting rid of the mirror box and reducing the registration distance significantly.

01-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Isn't this the same 14.6mp sensor as used in the K7? Those 1600 ISO shots look fairly clean.

As for this camera, my attitude is "Meh!"

I can't take any DSLR seriously with an electronic view finder, having tried one I find they are extremely inferior and still aren't capable of offering the quality or speed that an optical finder is capable of.

I personally can't see this camera been a success as I'm not clearly sure who its supposed to appeal to, it sits somewhere between the Olympus Pen and the K-x and uses a propietary lens mount with a VERY VERY VERY limited selection.
01-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jaleel Quote
But add to the E-P1 an oly lens adaptor and I think it will be same size as k-x.
Conversely, remove the grip, mirror, and pentamirror from the K-x and it will be the same size as the E-P1.
01-05-2010, 04:34 AM   #34
Veteran Member

One thing I find with all these ultra compact cameras is that they are very uncomfortable to grip. I even found the K-7 too small to comfortably grip (I got cramps after a while) until I got the battery grip.

Stick a large lens on one of these anorexic cameras and the balance is all off.

01-05-2010, 04:40 AM   #35
Veteran Member

It seems to me that all major manufacturers (well, I consider Samsung major) of photo gear and/or electronics (Samsung evidendly being major in electronics department) have reached similar levels of mechanical and electronic minitiaruzation. However, they apply their abilities differently...
01-05-2010, 05:02 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
It seems to me that all major manufacturers (well, I consider Samsung major) of photo gear and/or electronics (Samsung evidendly being major in electronics department) have reached similar levels of mechanical and electronic minitiaruzation. However, they apply their abilities differently...
Thing is though Samsung doesn't have a pedigree with cameras so I can't see them been taken seriously in the professional arean.

Miniturisation is great but only if the ergonomics render it practical to use.
01-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
To a certain extent, but a lot those people already have some form of the M4/3 cameras. The greater DOF would be nice though.
I presume you meant to type "greater DOF control" as the apparent DOF is lesser as the sensor size increases.

01-05-2010, 05:56 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Conversely, remove the grip, mirror, and pentamirror from the K-x and it will be the same size as the E-P1.
The difference being that you CAN add a lens adapter to the E-P1.
01-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Regarding the grip/comfort issue, imho these cameras are suited to travel/street photography first and foremost. I could imagine poking around europe with a PEN, a 15, 21 and 77.
01-05-2010, 07:02 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
The difference being that you CAN add a lens adapter to the E-P1.
Which is exactly what I'd love Pentax to do - create an EVIL based on the K-x with along with a host of adapters for other lens mounts.

How many Canon, Nikon, Leica, Pentax and other shooters are buying E-P1s and GF-1s as second or third bodies? How many, as a result, are being exposed to Olympus/Panasonic when they otherwise would have taken a pass?

Imagine Pentax doing the same and having Canon and Nikon shooters rave about the high ISO and green button, overall controls, and great legacy Pentax glass - might that not influence what cameras they recommend to others?

An EVIL K-x can be a "gateway drug" into the Pentax world much the same way that the iPod was a "gateway drug" into the Mac...
01-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #41
ogl
Banned

Samsung will make several new lenses till the end of 2010.
And I hope we can see Leica-M adapter for NX10.
01-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
From the Preview "... The NX, by contrast, has been developed entirely in-house, independently of Pentax (or any other partner: Samsung claims the NX is 100% Samsung)"
Samsung also said that all their lenses were Schneider's.......and the k20 was hyped in China to have a 22bit ADC.
I believe (what should we hit today) a campaigning politician or a banker before believing anything Samsung says.... but it's good PR for selling a ton in Korea.
That camera feels like 80% Pentax regardless... the buttons, jumbled k mount ect..
"Samsung" lens my.... well you know.
Not Pentax made/designed maybe, 3rd party positively.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 01-05-2010 at 07:38 AM.
01-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Which is exactly what I'd love Pentax to do - create an EVIL based on the K-x with along with a host of adapters for other lens mounts.

How many Canon, Nikon, Leica, Pentax and other shooters are buying E-P1s and GF-1s as second or third bodies? How many, as a result, are being exposed to Olympus/Panasonic when they otherwise would have taken a pass?

Imagine Pentax doing the same and having Canon and Nikon shooters rave about the high ISO and green button, overall controls, and great legacy Pentax glass - might that not influence what cameras they recommend to others?

An EVIL K-x can be a "gateway drug" into the Pentax world much the same way that the iPod was a "gateway drug" into the Mac...
That's what I said. Not really, but similar, only before the K-x. The K-x ticks off most of the boxes i specified, now shave off the prism and make the AF in LV snappy.
01-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #44
Veteran Member

why would pentax want to encourage people to buy canon or nikon glass? that would be a compatibility nightmare anyways.
panasonic has made adapters for 4/3 and leica m lenses (probably only because of their leica co-operation).
01-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #45
ogl
Banned

The main thing is the price of NX10 + 30 pancake. Not very high. It's good.
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Samsung_confirms_NX10_camera_price...ws_293396.html

Last edited by ogl; 01-05-2010 at 09:28 AM.