Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any one carry all 3 brands Pentax, Canon and Nikon

I'm at that cross road for awhile now, since i started my Canon system again, i've been wanting to get into FF (for whatever reasons) nothing from Pentax currently so that leaves the other two i've been comparing both the 5D/D Mk2 vs D700/whatever ver might come from CES. I'm more or less waiting to see what comes out at the CES and for some test reviews then deciding.

Right now my Pentax gear is used for 60% of my shooting mostly involving travel, Canon is dedicated to sports ....Canon or Nikon FF will strictly be for portrait use, i've been consistently reading and re-reading everything i can find and comparing both at the same time trying to stay grounded and not spend freely (my weakness for photo equipment otherwise, you can't squeeze a dime out of me)

I don't shoot professionally and will only be setting up my usually 3~5 lens systems, i'm pretty much set with the Pentax gear just waiting to see if there'll be a better K7, Canon i just need to add 2 more lenses but depends on my FF body.

I'm sure some/most of you are shaking your heads ...LOL but i can't help myself

Anyone care to berate, cajole, sympathize my weakness?

I should clarify, this is for my digital gear, i have film gear in all 3 formats already which i do use occasionally.

01-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #2

I have three SLR systems from Nikon, Pentax, and Minolta (film SLR from my dad). I've played with Canon 5D but don't own it myself. I'm letting parents using the Nikon system... they find it easier to use than their compact "easy-to-use" Canons, what can I say.

I use my Pentax system primarily because it's my favorite, but I shoot the Minolta from time to time (nostalgia, stocked on film rolls, just shot 2 rolls over the weekend). I find it pretty tedious to have two systems too similar to each other but in your case since you shoot sports you might have a pretty good case!

Shawn
01-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I do have K200D (had K20D), Canon EOS3 and D700. I use K200D occasionally with Voigtlander Nokton 55mm and the EOS3 is a stresstoy right now - the grip so funky to handle. I had few lenses for EOS but the mirror of my 5D blew clean off so I got D700 instead as my main system. You should get FA31mm ltdf for Pentax, 14-24mm (or 18 & 21mm distagons) for Nikon and 70-200 & 85mm 1.8 for Canon if you want a 3way system.
01-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In terms of quality affordable lenses that come together to make a great kit I would rank Nikon last... but of course others would disagree depending on their demands and there is no doubt that when you get a bit of professional grade Nikon gear it is stellar quality. I shoot both Canon and Pentax and I use them for weddings and sports professionally.

My Pentax kit
k-7, k20D, DA*16-50, DA* 50-135, DA*200, 43 Ltd.
Missing from that kit is the 31mm and 77mm Ltd lenses that I will end up with at some point.

My Canon kit
1DmkIII, 35L, 135L, 24-105L, 70-200 F2.8L, 300 F2.8L, Tamron 28-75 F2.8.
I don't feel I'm missing anything from the Canon kit because it is covered by Pentax (i.e Pentax 77mm instead of Canon 85mm)

To replace either of these kits with Nikon would not be easy. I looked into it and the lens selection was not what I wanted/needed.

Together these systems compliment each other quite nicely. Maybe the smart thing to do would be to sell all my Pentax gear because I'm sure I could survive without it... but it sure takes nice pictures and I'm a firm believer that size DOES matter ... and smaller = better as far as I'm concerned

01-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

Nikon, Canon, and Pentax for me

OP, I can relate - I'm no pro, just a serious amateur/hobbiest/gear freak.

I've owned Nikon gear over the past 5 years including (D70, D200, D700, D1, D2-series pro bodies) - I still own a D700. I've also owned Canon gear over the past 3 years including (10D, 20D, 40D, 5D, 1D MK1 and Mk2, and 1DS Mk1 and Mk2) - I still own a 1DS.

I recently added the K7 as a lightweight, portable travel kit. Along with the 15, 21, 40, and 70 limiteds, I haven't found any other system having such a portable, feature-rich system. I'm not seeing the results I can get with the other systems yet, but I think it's primarily user-error and just a matter of getting familiar with it's operation, idiosyncrasies, and post-processing know-how.

IMHO, for the generalist, amateur photographer, any of these brands could produce wonderful results in the right hands. In other words, it's not the gear, but the person behind the gear. Having said that, however, the gear makes a difference depending on your needs.

Canon has an awesome lineup of primes. I've owned the 35 1.4, 85 1.2, 135 f2, and 200 2.8 - all fantastic. Canon is also unique with their excellent F4 constant zooms including the 17-40, 24-105, and 70-200. The 5D is still one of my favorite all-times cameras for stills and landscapes - it's just not great with action. But, that's one of the reasons they offer the 1D and 1Ds-series bodies.

The D700 is my current favorite body overall. Wonderful color, FF sensor, among the best AF-systems, high ISO capabilities, and feature-sets of any system. The files it produces are extremely forgiving, allowing an amateur like me to recover from bad settings or difficult lighting situations. It's essentially great for any usage. With the 14-24 or 17-35, 24-70, and 70-200 zooms, the results are simply stunning.
01-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't see the point in having 3 systems.

Since you already have a Canon crop body camera, if you add a FF camera you get the following benefits: backup camera (though with different crop sensor), and being able to share lenses, flashes and possibly other things between two cameras (unless you are using EF-S that is). If you'd rather have Nikon, then get a crop body Nikon and a FF Nikon instead. But I really can't see the meaning in having THREE separate systems.
01-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Having a second system in addition to a smaller Pentax camera is not a bad idea if you are looking for FF.

I picked 5d2 last summer. I kind of liked D700 more for the super accurate AF, and ergonomics, but it was just too big and heavy for my taste. Also Canon 70-200 2.8L is one hell of a lens, and 17-40 4L and EF 50 1.4 are excellent for the price. For now it is my FF kit, and I do not think I will need anything else for a while, I am not into shooting sports or action, otherwise I would probably picked D700 with similar lenses from Nikon.
01-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As an amateur I see little reason to have more than one camera system. To have a good camera system (not just a body and a kit lens) is serious investment and having invested in top of the line Pentax gear (FA limited, K-7, etc), I am both quite happy with the result and in no particular need of anything else. Naturally, there are things that I'd like to have were I living in ideal world, etc, but Pentax suits me well so far.

01-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I shoot old Pentax lenses on film and digial cameras plus Nikon digital. I have to go with the folks suggesting sticking with one kit. If I had a complete Pentax kit that I found 100% satisifying and I wanted a second kit from scratch I would choose something such as a Leica M3 plus three lenses or maybe Mamiya medium format. Something for a change of pace.
01-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

B Grace, as you can tell by my gear collection I like how you think. (Though I went for M4-2 to get 35mm frame lines...)
01-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got three systems - dSLR (Pentax), 35mm (Pentax Mx and Olympus XA2), and iPhone.

Does that count?
01-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I recently bought the D700. The past 6-7 months I've been ready to buy FF system and no good news from Pentax. I wish I could afford to keep my K-7 along with small primes but probably can't
01-07-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Another one that jumped from Pentax to a FF!

How do you like the D700?
01-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It's great. I never even knew Nikon also has virtual horizon in the viewfinder and the support for vintage Nikkors is very good. At the moment I have an AI'd 24mm F2.8 mounted on my D700 and it allows matrix metering and shows the aperture in the VF.

Manual focus is also something that I find suprisingly easy. There's an arrow in the viewfinder telling you which way to turn the focusing ring and the light for correct focus lights up immediately when there's focus. No need for split screens.

Anyone interested in K-7, F135/2.8, DA21, DA16-50/2.8, A50/1.7? :P
01-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
No need for split screens.
How does that screen do in comparison to Pentax DSLR's ?

AFAIK the D700 screen can not be switched anyway.

Georg