Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2010, 01:31 AM   #31
Forum Member

nikoncafe.com and nikonians.org. I'm not a big fan of Nikonians as it is a pay site, but the info there is pretty good. NikonCafe does have a buy and sell forum, but you must have at least 300 posts just to see it.

02-04-2010, 03:17 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jonlee Quote
nikoncafe.com and nikonians.org. I'm not a big fan of Nikonians as it is a pay site, but the info there is pretty good. NikonCafe does have a buy and sell forum, but you must have at least 300 posts just to see it.
Thanks. Maybe I'll just be REALLY active in pursuing unnecessary extra info on the D90's sensor characteristics and testimonials on the 105 DC to rack up the needed posts. I won't be buying anything for a little while anyhow.
02-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
As a quick aside, anyone here know of any good (pentaxforums-esque) Nikon forums, and/or good buy/sell forums for Nikon gear? Fredmiranda seems pretty Canon-dominated.
Actually FM isn't so bad... There's quite a lot of traffic in classifieds, although it's mostly high-end gear... ever since i've started shopping there, i think i've seen more D3-s for sale than D90-s...

The other good place is nikon-cafes, but you've got to be a member for 6 months and have at least 300 posts before you'll be able to access the classifieds section, which is totally lame...

Local classifieds usually work for Ca/Nikon fairly well... at least better than with Pentax gear...
02-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by jensm Quote
I really like the Nikon setup, though I still miss the DA 70
It's in good caring hands.

02-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #35

I like the cafe. I've been spending a lot of time there. I've picked up a few lenses at FM. I do like the idea that you have to pay to sell at that site.
02-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supa Lao Quote
I like the cafe. I've been spending a lot of time there. I've picked up a few lenses at FM. I do like the idea that you have to pay to sell at that site.
You do here, too.
02-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #37
Forum Member

I just bought a K-7 today, but now I am starting to worry after reading this thread. lol. I have owned a D300 and currently own a D700/D90. As much as I LOVE my Nikon (glass+cameras), they are quite large. I wanted a cheap, small, strong, weather-resistant camera, and gimmicky HDR feature :P

Should I stick to Nikon?

02-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #38
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drewx2 Quote
I just bought a K-7 today, but now I am starting to worry after reading this thread. lol. I have owned a D300 and currently own a D700/D90. As much as I LOVE my Nikon (glass+cameras), they are quite large. I wanted a cheap, small, strong, weather-resistant camera, and gimmicky HDR feature :P

Should I stick to Nikon?
If you want a cheap, small, strong, WR camera, I think the K-7 should suit you fine. I have another recommendation if you don't mind skipping the HDR function:

Fujifilm | Quicksnap 800 Waterproof 35mm Disposable | 7025227

All joking aside - you have a D700/D90, just suck up the minimal size and weight differences and keep them. The AF and metering on the D700 is first-class. Basically, you spend more time taking photos and less time messing with your camera. It's that simple.
02-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #39
Forum Member

Drew - I was in a similar situation a few months back. I already owned a D700 and Canon 1DS and was looking for a P&S-sized camera, but with SLR functionality. After briefly looking at the Canon G11 and Panasonic GH1, I just happened to buy a K-7 for my sister as a wedding gift and was taken by it's small size and feature-set.

About a month later I picked up a K-7 for myself, along with the 15, 21, 40, and 70 limiteds. I've been very pleased with the system. Image quality and color is great, WB, metering, and its controls are all excellent. I like having the HD video available too. To my surprise, I even sold my Nikon 105DC F2 in favor of the 70 and/or 77 limiteds.

My few concerns with the K-7 have been its noise levels at moderate ISO and its AF tracking capabilities. Noise is a lesser concern for me. I find it acceptable up to 1200-1600, then I pull out my flash. Plus, I still have my D700 when I really need it. I recently added a 50-135 to test out the K-7's AF tracking abilities. My preliminary results when compared to my D700 and 80-200 AF-S showed the K-7 to be a step down from the D700. No great surprise here, as the D700 has one of the best AF modules currently available in the dSLR world. However, I would say the K-7's AF tracking is still usable and capable, just not quite in the same league as the D700.

Bottom line is I'd likely have more keepers when shooting action shots with my D700, than the K-7 - but it would be at the "cost" of a much bigger, much heavier, and much more expensive system. I still need to do further compares and under different scenarios to really see.

(Taking this shot was the first time I've actually needed 3 bodies) :-)

Last edited by jonlee; 02-09-2010 at 10:35 PM.
02-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #40
Forum Member

Thanks Jonlee for the great reply and especially thanks for the comparison shot. My thoughts seem to exactly echo your old worries, however my nerves are much calmer now after reading your post. Can't wait to receive my K-7 tomorrow. I suppose I should start purchasing some ltd lenses. I was hesitant to purchase the 50-135 because reviews say its so large, but that must be in the Pentax world. Compared to the Nikon/Canon world its pretty small.

Also, I remember owning that 80-200 AF-S lens. It's a beast of a lens. I ended up selling it and just sticking with a 70-300VR (which produced much sharper pictures, although not as fast). That and my 24-70 seems to always be on the D700. But getting back to the K-7, D700 + 24-70 is pretty heavy to be lugging around as my walk-around set.

And hearing you sold your 105DC for a 70 or 77... seems like you really like Pentax now. I've been going back and forth over getting the 70 and 77, but I think I'll pick up the 77.

My set may eventually consist of: 10-20 or 15, 35, 77, 50-135

And to the original poster, sorry for hijacking your thread :P
02-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drewx2 Quote
Thanks Jonlee for the great reply and especially thanks for the comparison shot. My thoughts seem to exactly echo your old worries, however my nerves are much calmer now after reading your post. Can't wait to receive my K-7 tomorrow. I suppose I should start purchasing some ltd lenses. I was hesitant to purchase the 50-135 because reviews say its so large, but that must be in the Pentax world. Compared to the Nikon/Canon world its pretty small.

Also, I remember owning that 80-200 AF-S lens. It's a beast of a lens. I ended up selling it and just sticking with a 70-300VR (which produced much sharper pictures, although not as fast). That and my 24-70 seems to always be on the D700. But getting back to the K-7, D700 + 24-70 is pretty heavy to be lugging around as my walk-around set.

And hearing you sold your 105DC for a 70 or 77... seems like you really like Pentax now. I've been going back and forth over getting the 70 and 77, but I think I'll pick up the 77.

My set may eventually consist of: 10-20 or 15, 35, 77, 50-135

And to the original poster, sorry for hijacking your thread :P
I've also heard people think the 50-135 is too big, and have to laugh. Relative to the offerings from Canon and Nikon, I love it's size. Frankly, the size, weight, and relative cost of the Pentax system (especially with the limited primes) has been the primary reason I've adopted the system to complement my other bodies. The K-7 has become my P&S camera, but with the features and image quality of a SLR. When I don't want to lug around and be burdened with my D700 and pro-glass, the Pentax fills in nicely.

When you get your K-7 and shoot your first high ISO shot, you will likely be a little disappointed. Your coming from the D700 that has among the best high ISO capabilities currently available. Give yourself some time to familiarize yourself with the controls and setting on the K-7 - I think they are pretty intuitive. Try out some of the nice features (not on the D700) like the TAv mode (essentially Auto-ISO on manual exposure), HD video, and built-in HDR mode.

Regarding the 70 and 77, I actually had both at one time, and they are both very good. Both are sharp wide open, quick to focus, and small. The 77 is noticeably heavier and larger. The near 1-stop advantage of the 77 is nice to have when you need it and its bokeh is very pleasing. If it's worth the extra size, weight, and $200 - $300 for the 77, go for it.

Here's a pic to impress upon the size differential of the limiteds and Nikon's 24-70:

02-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I don't know if anybody noticed, but hanging around other-brand's forums is boring to death... Gear is working as it should.... Gear is available - just get the wallet ready, so people don't have much to droll about, besides another new gear... There's a ready recipe for just about any question one might ask... And 99.99% of new thread for any single day look like "what's the right lens for my new blah-blah-blah?"...
02-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I have not noticed that.

Rather, over at photographyonthenet I've noticed that I've been irritated to death, primarily by hordes of gearheads constantly decrying any and all forward movement in the realm of technology.
02-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
I don't know if anybody noticed, but hanging around other-brand's forums is boring to death... Gear is working as it should.... Gear is available - just get the wallet ready, so people don't have much to droll about, besides another new gear... There's a ready recipe for just about any question one might ask... And 99.99% of new thread for any single day look like "what's the right lens for my new blah-blah-blah?"...
how is that different from the other sections in this forum or any other photography forum? almost all of them are totally gear oriented with the same questions and answers that appear every time. once in a while you hope for a really well written gear report or some nice pictures if you're lucky.
02-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
how is that different from the other sections in this forum or any other photography forum? almost all of them are totally gear oriented with the same questions and answers that appear every time. once in a while you hope for a really well written gear report or some nice pictures if you're lucky.
Pentax forum is more fun.... there are always SDM problems, misaligned sensors, faulty batteries... Actually it just seem that overall, in Pentax community, the %ge of people who know where they are going is a lot higher... As oppose to any Ca/Nikon forum mostly dominated by total noobs and complete idiots who bought a SLR camera hoping that it comes with a a magical "masterpiece"-button....

Last edited by alexeyga; 02-10-2010 at 08:01 PM.