Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #1

Notes on converting to Nikon

Hi

I'm in the process of selling off my Pentax system and buying into Nikon. Let me say that I've really loved my K system, and if I could afford having them both, I would.

Here's what I'm replacing
  • K10D w/ kit lens -> Nikon d300. Cost € -300
  • DA 40 -> Nikon 35/1.8 Cost € +30
  • DA70 + SMC tak 85/1.8 -> Nikon 85/1.8 AF. Cost € +350
  • Metz 48 -> metz 48. Cost € -50
  • DA 50-135 -> Nikon 80-200 2.8 AF-D. Cost € +250
  • Tamron 28-75/2.8 -> Sigma 18-50/2.8. Cost € +87

Also, I've got a few other Pentax items which I'm not directly replacing, which means that so far the switch is paying for some dental work I need done.

Of course I'm letting go of some really nice glass and settling for a smaller setup, but who knows, I've been told there's something called NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome), their LBA equivalent.

So far, here's what I like
  • AF! (I knew, that's why I changed, but it's just beyond comparison). I can focus track a 4 your old running around in the garden at dusk with the 85 at 1.8 - something I absolutely could not do with the MF SMC tak or any pentax AF lens.
  • Shutter blackout is unbelievably short. Bang!
  • Affordable second hand quality glass. Compare the €550 for an 80-200 2.8 ("two ring", not the cheapest model) to the price on an FA* 80-200, or the €280 for an AF 85/1.8 to the price of a Tak or K 85/1.8 which is MF, or even the 50-135 in Nikon mount (Tokina) which sells for less than €400, to the cost of the Pentax version.

Here's what I don't like
  • There's nothing like the DA limiteds.

01-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Among other things that you don't like, you've forgot to mention the D300's shear size and weight... And perhaps the lack of in-body IS... And unavailability of primes... Other than that, I'm really happy to hand around this forum as well...

B.t.w. how many shot's do you get out of a single battery charge?
01-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd hold on a little till PMA blows by because Pentax has been pretty quite on the DSLR side, i really have a good feeling that something good might be coming....just a feeling.
01-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Among other things that you don't like, you've forgot to mention the D300's shear size and weight... And perhaps the lack of in-body IS... And unavailability of primes... Other than that, I'm really happy to hand around this forum as well...

Why all the hate??? (or am I just not getting your comments?) Didn't you notice this is posted in the Off Brand forum?

Addressing your points from my p.o.v. (as a fellow "switcher")...
  • I sold out of pentax for a physically bigger camera (5DII) and the size of the bigger camera doesn't bother me at all - I find it exactly the same when it comes to conspicuousness, ease of carrying, etc...
  • Lack of in-body IS - I can't say I've noticed... actually I have noticed I get a ton more usable photos with the Canon + non IS lenses, and I'm sure the same would be true with the nikon. It turns out that in-focus photos of your subject with slight pixel level blurring caused by camera shake look a billion times better than just plain OOF photos (since Pentax AF can't keep up with my two y.o. let alone a four y.o. like the OP has ).
  • Prime lenses in the Nikon lineup, I can't comment on... haven't researched 'em, but in canonland they're plentiful, and sweet and some great ones are affordable (100mm f/2 with ring USM - $350 used, 85/1.8 - about the same...)
  • Seriously, when my battery is depleted, I put in another one...

Jens - congrats! Sounds like a good move with much improved focusing and money left over. I only owned one limited, the DA 35mm, but I'm almost glad I don't have any lenses as physically nice as that with my Canon - I was always worried that I would scratch the paint on that beauty. I just wanted to keep it in a display case .

01-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I am a switcher myself also and moved to Nikon. I still have the K100D but I sold most of my good glass to pay for the Nikon. The lens that I really miss the most is the DA 40mm. I don't know why but that lens add a special "pop" to the image when I had it.

If you had the DA 50-135, why not get the Tokina 50-135 unless if you are planning to move to FF in the near future?
01-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
[*]Lack of in-body IS - I can't say I've noticed... actually I have noticed I get a ton more usable photos with the Canon + non IS lenses, and I'm sure the same would be true with the nikon. It turns out that in-focus photos of your subject with slight pixel level blurring caused by camera shake look a billion times better than just plain OOF photos (since Pentax AF can't keep up with my two y.o. let alone a four y.o. like the OP has ).
I sometimes respond when I see Pentax apologetics...and I will respond to Canikon apologetics. The lack of in-body IS/VR is purely a marketing move to force shooters of long lenses to pay a VR/IS tax and avoid Tamron and Sigma. If you shoot hand-held at around 90mm or above, you will notice a huge difference without pixel peeping. Shooting while following a moving subject is not a test for VR/IS, unless you're panning. Also, a blurry subject and a sharp background is sometimes the intent (or a happy accident):

http://www.ultrahyper.net/blog/images/klein-dance-brooklyn.jpg (photo by William Klein)
01-26-2010, 03:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
Pentax glass

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
I am a switcher myself also and moved to Nikon. I still have the K100D but I sold most of my good glass to pay for the Nikon. The lens that I really miss the most is the DA 40mm. I don't know why but that lens add a special "pop" to the image when I had it.

If you had the DA 50-135, why not get the Tokina 50-135 unless if you are planning to move to FF in the near future?
Hi

I am actually thinking about getting the Tokina for Nikon. For now, I got the Nikon 80-200, but the 50-135 is sweet. Agreed on the DA40 - it gave images a certain pop that's hard to reproduce.

/Jens

01-26-2010, 03:05 AM   #8

Original Poster

I haven't run through a full battery yet. I know, in-body SR would be nice, but as another poster said, the vast majority of technically bad shots that I got with my Pentax gear was OOF. That's solved now. Also, the Nikon gives me 1-2 stops better high iso performance which helps a little.

Agree on the forum - there's a nice vibe to the Pentax community :-)

/Jens
01-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Why all the hate??? (or am I just not getting your comments?) Didn't you notice this is posted in the Off Brand forum?
Wow buddy, chill... I'm a Nikon D300s user my-self... No hate, just that i'm fairly open about what I don't like about it...

• The size actually does matters... after owning a K100d, K10D and the K7 for a few days, D300s is one fat pig on steroids... I do travel quite a bit, so I haul my camera on me quite a bit... so I do tend to notice this type of stuff... Not to mention that my combo doesn't fit my favorite and most discrete holster anymore... If you're happy with the 5DII... well, good for your...

On the other hand, the D300(s) is a pleasure to use.. it's a perfect fit for my hands... the overall controls layout is the best i've seen so far (I've seen a lot)... and I'm in love with the 2 custom on the front and hard "format" buttons...
  • Regarding the IS, well, it's hard not to notice that I can't shoot the 50mm at 1/20th anymore...
  • As far as primes go... It's a mixed bag.... I hate changing lenses, so I prefer quality zooms... But I still miss the 77lim, 35Lim... And I wish Nikon had the equivalents of DA21, DA15 and FA31... At least, a good condition Nikon 85/1.8 runs for 300-400$... though it's 3 times the size of 77lim...
  • The only reason why I brought the battery question, is that i was rather surprised to see my D300's battery still giving juice after 1200 shots... That is after owning a K10 that was really happy to last 300 on a single charge... I really came to appreciate it when I went to Europe forgetting the charger at home... And I only had one charged spare with me... Damn thing lasted the whole trip... Over 2500 shots...
01-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow buddy, chill... I'm a Nikon D300s user my-self... No hate, just that i'm fairly open about what I don't like about it...
Ok - sorry. I went back and read your first post, and even knowing what you wrote here, it still "sounds" negative to me, so it's just another case of me being unable to determine tone from text ...Sorry!

I will say that just 'cause you don't like those points, doesn't mean the OP doesn't like them.

I'm way impressed to hear about your battery duration - I'm not getting that on the 5DII, (but I don't mind ).
01-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Two comments:

1.) There are more high quality Nikkor primes available today than Pentax primes. New and used. Available in greater numbers, in more retail locations, in manual focus and auto focus formats, and with more options for accessories. This has nothing to do with choosing a camera system but availability of Nikkors is not an issue.

2.) An AF85/1.4D is perhaps 3x the size of a 77 Limited. An AF85/1.8D is not.
01-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
Two comments:

2.) An AF85/1.4D is perhaps 3x the size of a 77 Limited. An AF85/1.8D is not.
Maybe so... but for the period of time I had one, the 85/1.8 was taking the whole compartment in my bag... the same compartment I used to keep the DA35/FA77/K50/1.2 in... That being said, the Nikon's 85/1.8 is still a fairly compact lens, much more adequate that the 85/1.4... and much more affordable... And you're absolutely right, one of the main advantages of both Nik and Can... stuff is widely available... and re-sellable... I kinda regret selling my copy, but it's was an old, dusty and wobbly pre-D one... And i wasn't using it that much so i've traded it for another sb600... that I do use a lot...

B.t.w. for these looking to spend wise.. there's a little gem in Nikon lineup that tends to pass unappreciated... the AF-D 35-70/2.8 The FL could seem a little awkward and limiting at first, but having the wide end covered by the 12-24, the 35-70 takes over the "normal" range and puts both 35 and 50mm primes out of work... That last one could be found for 300-400$ used in awesome condition. For that price, and half the size of 24-70/2.8 it's a freaking good deal... a bit prone to flare and quite soft wide open at 70mm... none the less, a great lens! At least, in my case it's the one that get's to spend the most time on the camera...

Last edited by alexeyga; 01-26-2010 at 12:11 PM.
01-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm moving over to Nikon. I don't have the cash to go straight to the camera body I want imediatly, and still have money for lenses, so I bought a second hand D200. I still have my K10D, but I expect i will be selling it soon.

My D200 impresions:

Wow! I nailed the focus! Wow the exposure is bang on! Not as customizable. Better auto ISO, better viewfinder information, Better onboard flash. Actually a really good onboard flash. Heavier, but more comfortable to hold. Nothing like the limiteds, but plenty of primes available. Wish it had in body SR. Not as good at high ISO. But nailing focus and exposure makes up for anything the K10D did better.
01-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
I sometimes respond when I see Pentax apologetics...and I will respond to Canikon apologetics. The lack of in-body IS/VR is purely a marketing move to force shooters of long lenses to pay a VR/IS tax and avoid Tamron and Sigma.
I think I've seen you post about this more than once lately, and was wondering if you weren't aware that Sigma has a line of IS (they call it OS) glass for Canon, and Tamron their VC ("vibration compensation") lenses. So you can happily get a lens from either of those if in-lens IS for Canon is what you're after.

In-lens IS gives you viewfinder stabilization which is a pretty big plus for long teles, so it's not just a "marketing move".
01-27-2010, 02:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I think I've seen you post about this more than once lately, and was wondering if you weren't aware that Sigma has a line of IS (they call it OS) glass for Canon, and Tamron their VC ("vibration compensation") lenses. So you can happily get a lens from either of those if in-lens IS for Canon is what you're after.
I usually post on the lens forum and I recently posted about the photozone review of Tamron's 17-50 VC which appears optically worse than the non-VC version (here). I'm more interested in optics than bodies, so I don't hang around other forums much...

I had APO 300mm F2.8 EX DG/HSM in mind. It doesn't have "OS". I was also thinking of Tamron and Sigma macro lenses...again no OS or VC. Sigma and Tamron have *mostly* been putting VC and OS on their junk lenses, so far. You could argue that 300 mm f/2.8 is probably sitting on a tripod, but with the macro lenses you could take advantage of image stabilization when using them in non-macro situations.

QuoteQuote:
In-lens IS gives you viewfinder stabilization which is a pretty big plus for long teles, so it's not just a "marketing move".
Of course, it's not "just" that. EDIT: Adding image stabilization to the body doesn't seem to be adding too much cost to Sony, Olympus and Pentax bodies, nor is it degrading image quality. So its lack in Canikon bodies is puzzling.

Last edited by asdf; 01-27-2010 at 03:10 AM.