Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Quick Shift, for Canikon?

Just wanted to ask, is there a similar function to Quick Shift in the Canon or Nikon line-up? I know there are a bunch of lenses that have a MF-AF switch on-body too - is it more common for Canon and Nikon mount lenses? Thanks!

01-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nikon lenses, at least the better AF-S ones, allow you to turn the focus ring even after you've used AF, without flipping a switch or anything. The lens is basically in full time MF mode.

Canon's Ultrasonic lenses are the same way (again not the cheapest lenses).

Just like Pentax from what I've used.
01-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very interesting, the function sounds like it's even better than the quick shift system. Will definitely have to check it out firsthand Thanks.
01-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One nice thing about FTM (full time manual) is that if you set your camera up to separate the AF function from the shutter, you have a whole new world of control available.

I have both my bodies setup so the * button on the back by my right thumb controls autofocus. Then I leave them 99% of the time in AF Servo mode. What I get then is being able to focus/recompose in Servo mode by tapping the * button to focus, then releasing it, recomposing, and shooting. Doing a lot of wildlife type shooting, I'd hate to be caught with my pants down in One Shot mode, so even when doing static subjects I love being able to leave it in Servo mode this way. If I didn't separate the AF function it would not be possible, since the shutter press would cause it to attempt to refocus continuously otherwise...

And with FTM, I can just manually focus at any time without having to worry about the camera attempting to do it unless I specifically tell it to... otherwise I'd be struggling with having the camera try to focus every time I let off the shutter button and press it again, so would have to keep re-adjusting the manual focus.

01-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
Just wanted to ask, is there a similar function to Quick Shift in the Canon or Nikon line-up? I know there are a bunch of lenses that have a MF-AF switch on-body too - is it more common for Canon and Nikon mount lenses? Thanks!
Yes if I understand what you mean by "quick-shift" you mean that you have the ability to full-time manual focus. Yes, all Canon lenses with ring-USM have full time manual. (I think Canon calls it FTM) The only lenses that don't have it are a few of the cheaper lenses with micromotor drive. The MF_AF switch is for deactivating the autofocus.
01-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
One nice thing about FTM (full time manual) is that if you set your camera up to separate the AF function from the shutter, you have a whole new world of control available.

I have both my bodies setup so the * button on the back by my right thumb controls autofocus. Then I leave them 99% of the time in AF Servo mode. What I get then is being able to focus/recompose in Servo mode by tapping the * button to focus, then releasing it, recomposing, and shooting. Doing a lot of wildlife type shooting, I'd hate to be caught with my pants down in One Shot mode, so even when doing static subjects I love being able to leave it in Servo mode this way. If I didn't separate the AF function it would not be possible, since the shutter press would cause it to attempt to refocus continuously otherwise...

And with FTM, I can just manually focus at any time without having to worry about the camera attempting to do it unless I specifically tell it to... otherwise I'd be struggling with having the camera try to focus every time I let off the shutter button and press it again, so would have to keep re-adjusting the manual focus.
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Yes if I understand what you mean by "quick-shift" you mean that you have the ability to full-time manual focus. Yes, all Canon lenses with ring-USM have full time manual. (I think Canon calls it FTM) The only lenses that don't have it are a few of the cheaper lenses with micromotor drive. The MF_AF switch is for deactivating the autofocus.
Thank you, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. Nice to discover what I'm missing out on :P So any FTM (or ring-USM) lens grants the option to only use the autofocus servos if a button (you set) is pressed, and full manual focusing otherwise. This is exactly the function I'm looking for. Right now, the FA50, Sigma17-70, and Sigma10-20 all lack this function, so it's quite annoying to miss focus, and a shot when flipping the switch on the body of the k10d. I really enjoy the function with the DA*50-135.
01-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
As for Nikon, is it only their top end lenses that include this function?
I believe all Nikon AF-S lenses have this ability to "override" auto-focus simply by turning the focus ring. AF-S is Nikon's version of SDM (without the apparent QC problems) :-)

Last edited by jonlee; 01-27-2010 at 04:07 PM.
01-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote

Good tip. I find this quite useful as well. While in servo-mode (on Canon bodies) or AF-C mode (on Nikon and Pentax bodies), hit the AF button to acquire focus, release the AF button, and recompose. Hit the shutter release and you're all set. Obviously, to maintain focus on a moving subject, just keep the AF button pushed. Works great in either scenario. I hardly ever use AF-S mode (or Single-shot mode on Canon bodies).

Canon 1D-series bodies also have the ability to configure 2 separate AF buttons - each with a different AF-point. This is especially useful when having to switch between portrait and landscape perspectives. I can have 1 AF button set to the center AF point, and have a separate AF button assigned to the far right AF point for instance.

Last edited by jonlee; 01-27-2010 at 04:06 PM.