Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a new 5d mk II user. My other camera is a k20d. High ISO photography is a major attribute for my needs, and the 5d is working out great.

It was a very close decision between the D700 and 5d mk II. The decision will always be a compromise - they're both great cameras. What swayed me was the higher resolution of the 5d ii. I shoot primes, and the 5d offers greater crop potential. If I'm shooting with an 85mm f/1.8 (just as good IQ as the DA 77mm IMHO and for $300 less) there's the option to crop and get APS-C resolution - so the 85mm is still a short telephoto. That's a big plus.

BTW - I prefer the Canon lens offerings over Nikon. That was also an important consideration.

see: http://www.radiantlite.com/2009/09/canon-lenses-vs-nikon-lenses-2009.html

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Yes the D700 I would say is the best "all-rounder" very serious amateur/pro FX dslr i.e. landscape,portrait, action, ca/vignette correction.

I used one with a really old model 50mm 1.8 and was impressed.

Where Nikon possibly lacks (compared to Canon) is in FX VR lenses e.g 14-24, 24-70 are non VR (but very expensive) - these are brand new lenses, so I can't understand why they couldn't VR them.

Canon 5dmk11 is the Landscape/Portrait camera of choice with many pro's and would be my choice over a 1dsMk11 as it's more portable.

Canon lenses are generally lower in price than the Nikons.

Too be quite honest after using a 450d and playing with many raw 5d/7D images I just can't seem to like the Canon cmos handling of color and to my "eye" the images (even if they are technically brilliant) seem flat.

Togs generally tend to use Canon more due to the easy trade ability of lenses & bodies and that the overall package cost's less money than Nikon.

The Nikon D700 is now really showing "excellent" value costing just a little more than a D300s/7D dx sensors.

The Sony 850 FX, actually comes in at the same price as the D300s/7D and has in body IS.

The 24-70 2.8 Zeiss lens easily out performs the N/C equivalents and if I was just doing portraits/landscape work in decent light I would choose this combo any day over 5Dmk11 (pricing is better and many don't require video)

Personally I like the rendering from the Sony cmos exmor sensor (especially color) which Nikon & the new Pentax's (kx) use.

Some food for thought?

Last edited by superfuzzy; 02-08-2010 at 09:02 AM.
02-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Handy Canikon lens price comparison linky, Thank You

Handy Canikon lens price comparison linky, Thank You

Canon lenses vs Nikon lenses 2009

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
I'm a new 5d mk II user. My other camera is a k20d. High ISO photography is a major attribute for my needs, and the 5d is working out great.

It was a very close decision between the D700 and 5d mk II. The decision will always be a compromise - they're both great cameras. What swayed me was the higher resolution of the 5d ii. I shoot primes, and the 5d offers greater crop potential. If I'm shooting with an 85mm f/1.8 (just as good IQ as the DA 77mm IMHO and for $300 less) there's the option to crop and get APS-C resolution - so the 85mm is still a short telephoto. That's a big plus.

BTW - I prefer the Canon lens offerings over Nikon. That was also an important consideration.

see: Canon lenses vs Nikon lenses 2009
02-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #18

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I currently had a Canon 50D with mostly ef-s lenses. I was debating between the 5DII vs D700. Both are great camera's, and since I was selling off pretty much all my lenses anyways. I thought I'd look into the D700.

I now own a Nikon D700. I decided I wanted the D700 because I don't need all the MP and the video. I wanted the AF from the D700. After receiving my D700, the build quality is a lot better then my 50D and it's heavier also. Overall I am happy with my decision. I just received my D700 about a week ago and I'm still trying to configure the camera to my liking.
02-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #19
Forum Member

It's a highly customizable camera. I've owned my D700 for over a year now, and I'm still making tweaks to suit my preferences.

Many of the settings are personal preferences, so be sure to experiment with your choices and read the manual if necessary. Personally, I'm a big fan of it's Active D-Lighting functionality that essentially helps to reigns in over and under exposed scenes within the frame. I also like the fact that it has many customizable, user-assignable buttons allowing you quick access to the functions you use most. I also use the AF-on button exclusively to activate the AF - not the shutter release. This allows for leaving the camera in AF-C mode nearly all the time and being able to both track moving subjects, as well as focusing and recomposing still subjects.

Enjoy your new toy.

02-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #20
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ltdstar Quote
I'm thinking of getting one of these, most probably used....(snip)

I would love to get some feedbacks from those that own any of these bodies and comparison to K20D with respect to low light focusing. Or if you have some other body that you would recommend, let me have it.

Thanks in advance...
I've had a D700 for about half a year now, had a K10d, K20d before. The D700 is superior in low light focus situations. It locks autofocus with my 85/1.4 at ISO6400, 1/30th sec, wide open. AF sensors are reliable as long as they are cross-type (not all 51 points are). AF tracking is excellent.

Put simply: you'll rarely MF the D700 because the AF isn't cutting it.

I haven't owned any of the Canon models you asked about, so I can't comment. Just sharing my experience with the D700 as requested.
02-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #21
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonlee Quote
It's a highly customizable camera. I've owned my D700 for over a year now, and I'm still making tweaks to suit my preferences.

Many of the settings are personal preferences, so be sure to experiment with your choices and read the manual if necessary. Personally, I'm a big fan of it's Active D-Lighting functionality that essentially helps to reigns in over and under exposed scenes within the frame. I also like the fact that it has many customizable, user-assignable buttons allowing you quick access to the functions you use most. I also use the AF-on button exclusively to activate the AF - not the shutter release. This allows for leaving the camera in AF-C mode nearly all the time and being able to both track moving subjects, as well as focusing and recomposing still subjects.

Enjoy your new toy.
I also use AF-C with AF-ON. I think that's the best setup for the reasons you described above.
02-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
I've had a D700 for about half a year now, had a K10d, K20d before. The D700 is superior in low light focus situations. It locks autofocus with my 85/1.4 at ISO6400, 1/30th sec, wide open. AF sensors are reliable as long as they are cross-type (not all 51 points are). AF tracking is excellent.

Put simply: you'll rarely MF the D700 because the AF isn't cutting it.

I haven't owned any of the Canon models you asked about, so I can't comment. Just sharing my experience with the D700 as requested.
I haven't shot a D700 (though I'd love to try one), but own a 1Ds II and have used 5D IIs -- the 5D II is very good at locking on with the center point even in very low light, but the other focus points are like a box of chocolates when the light is less than perfect...

The 1Ds II locks in reliably for me in just about every situation, but some have reported that the 5D II center point is actually even better at extremely low light though I can't confirm that.