Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #1

Pocket Camera

Our "family" go to camera for casual adventuring is the Sony Cybershot. Its a 7.2 megapixel with (supposedly) a Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar. I can slip it in my front pocket and my wife can get instant gratification of the photograph she just took. I think these things are great, hold a charge a good while and anybody with a pulse can take a picture with it.
How good are the photo's..........not bad. I took these photographs with the camera and did a small bit of pp. Not bad for a little point and shoot. They won't be haning in the coffee shop or art studio, but it ain't bad for what it is. What's your take?

And of course they're fun..........

Attached Images

02-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Moved to Off Brand forum.

Sony are well established in the compact market and the 'look' of the images their cameras produce is appealing to a lot of people.
02-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The first digital camera I ever got to experiment with was my mom's sony cybershot, on a trip to coastal Georgia. Granted, the IQ wasn't great, but in a way that was almost an attribute at that stage; I knew the technical quality wouldn't be the best, so I was able to focus on getting an interesting picture. And I did get some interesting pictures, even if they've been overshadowed as I've developed with better tools since. This one has survived and lurks at the end of my photostream:
02-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
er1kksen, Very cool. Amazing photograph..........

02-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gene Temple Quote
Our "family" go to camera for casual adventuring is the Sony Cybershot. Its a 7.2 megapixel with (supposedly) a Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar. I can slip it in my front pocket and my wife can get instant gratification of the photograph she just took. I think these things are great, hold a charge a good while and anybody with a pulse can take a picture with it.
How good are the photo's..........not bad. I took these photographs with the camera and did a small bit of pp. Not bad for a little point and shoot. They won't be haning in the coffee shop or art studio, but it ain't bad for what it is. What's your take?

And of course they're fun..........
My take? Over-sharpened and too contrasty. In other words - ugly!
02-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
My take? Over-sharpened and too contrasty. In other words - ugly!
You can always turn that down, though you'll probably have to dig through some illogically designed menus to do so. I know I did.
02-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
Actually I'm to blame for the contrasty and oversharpening. I'm a complete novice, especially with the photoshop tools. I was just messing with the Sony image to see what I could do (or damage) to it. I definitely wish I had more time to devote to the craft and learn how to capture and process those images better. I'm learning.....
BUT........this is a point and shoot Sony, in the most modest of terms. I guess what I was trying to convey is that I was surprised what the 21st century equivelant of a Kodak instamatic can do.

02-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For what it's worth, there have been times I've spent hours wandering around Monticello and come away with lesser photographs.

(it does seem just a touch dark though)

Edit: It's not the camera, it's the person behind it.