Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2010, 06:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Get a decent P&S or wait for M4/3 to drop in price

Hey my girlfriend is starting to get into photography and i was thinking of buying her a camera for her birthday (in april). While a dslr would be nice i dont think she's the sort of person that would want a big camera to carry round, so i was thinking to either get her a high end P&S like the panasonic LX3, or seeing as the M4/3 cameras are dropping in price, i could get her one of them in a couple of months if there around the same price. Now does anyone think that these cameras will go down that far (around $600 aus) or am i just dreaming a bit too much?

02-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Forum Member

One thing to consider - most people who want a P&S expect at least some amount of zoom. An M4/3 is only comparable in size to a P&S when equipped with some kind of pancake prime. Any kind of zoom lens attached makes it decidedly unpocketable. That, and price, was one thing that led me and my girlfriend to go with an LX3 for her small camera instead of an EP-1. When she needs more zoom than the LX3 provides she just takes my K10D away from me
02-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be getting something that is a compliment to your kit, rather than a competitor. Given that yours can't shoot underwater or fit into a purse, I'd be going P&S. If not an LX3, then a G11 or S90. Depending on her shooting style, you could spend the extra cash on an off camera flash, tripod, printing services. . .

What's available is likely to change a lot between now and next month, so keep your eye out for the latest and greatest.
02-11-2010, 04:19 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
@paddyb, shes not expecting a p&s and seems fair happy with my roommates 17-50mm tamron which she used for a day, but i dont think shed be happy with primes. Thanks for the advice anyway

@openyourap, while it'd be good to be able shoot underwater and all, but i dont think a weather proof p&s would have the manual controls that she's wanting. She owns a little sony p&s btw. And have you seen a m4/3 camera? those things are tiny! =D