Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What if...

Hoya made Pentax lenses available in Canon and Nikon mounts? Now since Canon EOS requires a motor in the lens, think about lenses like the 31Ltd., or 77ltd. with ring motors available in Canon and Nikon mounts! Hoya would probably sell 10 times the number of lenses that they do now, and would probably move into first place as the 3rd party lens supplier.

Just dreaming.

02-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, the FA limited lenses are one of the reasons people switch to Pentax.
02-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

No, oh God no.
02-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
No, the FA limited lenses are one of the reasons people switch to Pentax.
But then Hoya could focus on making the best glass in the world (glass is their strength) and not worry about bodies, which are dominated by electronics nowadays (their stated weakness.)

02-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Tokina already makes Pentax lenses for Canikon owners

Tokina already makes Pentax lenses for Canikon owners and they sell for less since they don't have that fancy "Pentax" logo on them.

The bigger question is when will pentax owners get to buy lenses Tokina makes for everyone else ???

SLR Camera Lenses
02-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Tokina already makes Pentax lenses for Canikon owners and they sell for less since they don't have that fancy "Pentax" logo on them.
True. but I was wondering how Pentax Limited primes would be received on other mounts.
02-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sure, I think Canikon owners will buy them LTD's too

Sure, I think Canikon owners will buy them LTD's too

Heck if Tokina offered the Pentax FA 200mm f4 macro for Canikon owners that would be quite popular, no doubt.

02-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
True. but I was wondering how Pentax Limited primes would be received on other mounts.
There is quite a little cult of people who modify Pentax lenses for their Canons. I have a couple of friends using Panasonic 4/3 cameras who are using Pentax glass as well.
02-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Forum Member

If the DA limited primes were available on a Nikon mount, I probably wouldn't have bought the K-7. I would have bought the lenses for my D700, or maybe picked up a D5000, and been done with it.

While I do like the K-7 in that it's smaller, lighter, and has HD video, I think I would have stuck with one mount instead of introducing another system.
02-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Oh how I would love to have the FA43 in the Canon mount.

The problem with Tokina is that most of their lenses are for APS-C bodies--I'm planning on eventually upgrading to FF, so that's not going to help me. Having had the Tokina 12-24 for a short while, I will say that it does have an excellent build quality in addition to great innards.

Heather
02-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DA 35mm limited essentially already is available in Canon and Nikon mounts in the form of a Tokina without the svelte lens barrel and Pentax SMC coatings.
02-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #12
Forum Member

Literally just received my DA35 today. So far, so good. Looks like my DA40 is going to the buy/sell forum - and I've really liked the 40 too.

I have noticed the Tokina version available for Nikon and Canon mounts. I believe it only supports cropped bodies, however. Besides, Nikon already makes a good 35mm prime for cropped bodies and FF.
02-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Pentax glass does have a very good reputation across the board. They could probably sell quite a few lenses if they retooled the FA line for manual focus in Nikon/Canon/Sony mounts; should be able to compete price wise with the Zeiss stuff and probably perform just as well.
02-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hmmmm, Zeiss

Zeiss !

SLR Camera Lenses
02-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #15

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So why use glass

Am I the only one obsessed with the possibilities of crappy lenses. To back off from the possibilities of boosting Hoya by selling Pentax lenses to Nikon and Cannon users I think what if there was a Diana F+ lens adapter for Pentax. Especially now with the Toy Camera filter in the K-7 and K-X, not only could we have the wild colour saturation that you get with cross-processing, but we can use the Diana lenses to see the crazy lens distortion and CA...Think of the possibilities.

Why use glass when you can use plastic?