Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Forum Member

Nikon or Canon?

So i am thinking about getting a Nikon or a Canon when i get the money, but i was wondering which one woud be better for me? i know some of you have both systems so i came here to ask.
i want a camera that has a smart brain, where high ISO 's are not noisy, decent shutter speed ect...
i heard canons make better bodies, what exactly does that mean? "better bodies"?
i also want a system where they sell good primes with good focus.
Does canon or nikon have good primes? which one of the are cheap and good?
Do you guys know any of these answers? if you do please help .

02-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Both brands make excellent camera bodies with "smart brains," with high ISOs that aren't too noisy, and boast decent shutter speeds. So do Pentax, Sony, and Olympus actually. This is 2010.

"Better bodies" means the people you've been hearing from like Canon better, and that makes them think that they are better. I happen to like Nikon bodies better than Canon bodies, but which one is "better" for you depends on which one you like better.

Both of them have a good range of high-quality prime lenses, some of which are dirt cheap, some of which are mid-range but excellent values, and some of which are fantastic lenses but ridiculously expensive.

I can assure you that there are members of this forums capable of answering your more specific Canon/Nikon questions, but you really need to go on other sites where you can research the general characteristics of each system's bodies (try reading camera reviews at Imaging-resource or DPReview) and what their lens selection is like (just search each manufacturer's lens selection at adorama.com or B&H). Your current questions are far to general with answers that are much too complex, and I don't think you'll find anyone hear willing to write the book-length answers that your questions really ask when it's all been written numerous times elsewhere on the web.
02-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
oh ok, thank you!
02-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Forum Member

I prefer the ergonomics of Nikon bodies, and I like that they're not really chasing the pixel count as much as Canon. They also have a nicer flash system and wireless flash, which you don't get except in the Canon 7D afaik. But there's no doubt both have great lenses and great cameras.

But yes, there's better places to read about them than on the Pentax forum.

02-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
Forum Member

I do shoot both (and Pentax too), and honestly either system would likely do fine for you. There are so many little details we could get into, depending on your usage, needs, budget, etc. Plus, a lot of it is pretty subjective to one's personal preferences and abilities.

Today's dSLR scene is pretty competitive and changing constantly. For the most part, aside from a very specific need or purpose, any Nikon, Canon, or Pentax system would likely be able to support the vast majority of your needs. I'm assuming were talking about amateur usage here, because if you had pro-needs, you probably wouldn't be asking this type of question.
02-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Before it goes any further, what's your budget? It's seems you really have no idea as to costs of what you're asking for

But as it stands right now all the reviews point towards, Nikon D3s and you can add all the fast primes you want...but that would depend on "when the money comes" and mostly how much ...lol
02-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well i know nikon and canon are expensive, and i was willing to save for them, and i am not gonna get some crazy expensive camera. its just i always wanted to have a canon and a nikon haha i know it sounds stupid. but i was thinking if i want to buy one of them first, which one?
right now my k20d is disappointing me in low light conditions and no i dont have a external flash.
but what kind of nikon or canons do you other guys have? (model)

02-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You really have to figure out a few things:

1) What's the limitation of your current setup?

2) Can those limitations be addressed within the system you have?

3) What are your photography goals? What subjects?

4) What are the most important components of a camera system to you? High ISO? Long tele lenses? Video?

I shoot Canon, but have nothing against Nikon (or Pentax or Sony or Olympus). Canon works great for me because I can get some great tele lenses that won't break the bank, like the 400/5.6 which is an incredible performer both from an image quality standpoint as well as autofocus/tracking... and Canon has "affordable" used FF cameras like the 1Ds, 1Ds2, 5D available. Also, it is very easy to adapt a wide range of lenses to Canon bodies, which has let me use a wide variety of M42 lenses as well as OM/Zuiko ones.

Just about any modern camera system will perform very well, so it's mostly a matter of figuring out which strengths matter the most to you.
02-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Never forget the power of "residual value" of your equipment.

Pentax generally has none (especially over here) which means that you will not be able to trade your Pentax dslr for a better one OR sell your lenses (quickly).

In most cases this is why most will buy a Nikon/Canon as it is very easy to purchase very lightly used bargain dslr & lenses - due to the fact that these users are always upgrading.

Canon has the edge due to the fact of (up to now) having many more lens variations, primes, zooms, tele's, IS lenses than Nikon which are more affordable

A person with a D80 or 40D can very easily & quickly sell to get a later model.

A used (1 yr old) Canon 1dmk111 is now selling for a little more than a new 7D.

A 50D can be had at less than half the price of the 7D.

A Nikon D700 can now be had for slightly more than D300s.

Now with the the D3s on the market there will be D3's coming into the market place at very good value.

Over here you cannot sell your Pentax/Lens 2nd hand (whether it's a 10D, 20D, K7) to recoup some of your initial investment.

Photography is not a cheap hobby and can be a considerable "asset" investment and with any asset it's nice to know it has a strong residual value.
02-18-2010, 12:34 AM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by jolee1990 Quote
right now my k20d is disappointing me in low light conditions and no i dont have a external flash.
Are you sure it's not a case of you disappointing the K20d in low light conditions?

You're still very much a beginner and I'm willing to bet that a lot of the shots that you are disappointed with would be just as disappointing with any other brand of camera.

You're not going to be able to buy good photographs, you need to learn how to take them and what equipment to take them with (flashes, tripods etc.).
02-18-2010, 01:11 AM   #11
Inactive Account

You should/definitely also do some research into lenses.. Yes.. it's a very long & tedious journey! Some folk will buy into a certain brand just for one single outstanding lens. People can fall in love with a lens and the first time I bought my DSLR, this is what I was told by the salesman.

If you own a lens like this, you will know. I will say, I do not know what it is yet like to fall in love with a lens. The only lens that has caught me by the balls, from viewing the images it has produced, is the Canon 85/1.2. In this instance, I think the specs do speak for themselves though.

Do listen to what Gary said. This is true in other situations. Take for example, a car racer.. the slower car can, (and does), overcome the faster cars with sheer skill and determination. Owning a high end Nikon makes you, simply, a Nikon owner, not a good photographer.

That being said, I think a lot of people shoot with bodies & lenses that far outweigh their skill to use them.
02-18-2010, 01:47 AM   #12
Forum Member

Just to share....even with a good camera body, you still have to feed it with good glass and also skill. K20D is a great camera, you already have one so all you have to do is find some good lens and work with it and you'll be amazed how well the images improving and also your skill.

Hi Fractal, I do fall in love with lenses, in fact, I have had the Canon 85/1.2 for about 3 months now and I'm loving it, however, there are Pentax 31mm, 77mm, and FA*28-70 that still make me think twice about going back to Pentax someday.
02-18-2010, 02:35 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by snappy Quote
Just to share....even with a good camera body, you still have to feed it with good glass and also skill. K20D is a great camera, you already have one so all you have to do is find some good lens and work with it and you'll be amazed how well the images improving and also your skill.
Yep.. this is true. Go a full frame Canon or Nikon and expect to be putting, (expensive), FF glass on it.

QuoteOriginally posted by snappy Quote
Hi Fractal, I do fall in love with lenses, in fact, I have had the Canon 85/1.2 for about 3 months now and I'm loving it, however, there are Pentax 31mm, 77mm, and FA*28-70 that still make me think twice about going back to Pentax someday.
Good lord.. you didn't just say that. I've shot with the FA77 and it didn't strike me as excellent as everyone says it to be. Maybe I needed to give it more time, as I just loaned it of someone.
02-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Start saving your pesos according to that rumour site (we're not allowed to mention competing sites?) the new 1DsmkIV will be announced next week and as history has shown, that model should more or less trump anything Nikon has out currently, should be in the ball park of ~8large.
02-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Which pentax body do you have? Why do you want to have two system? There are only a few reasons why someone would want to have another system.

Unless if you want to go FF or NEED a better AF system, the current line of Pentax camera is just as good as any other APS-C camera out there.

I am not saying to don't buy another brand because I am a two brand user myself. I sold most of my Pentax gear and moved bought the Nikon D700. I still use my K100D with the FA 50mm f/1.4 when I want to travel light.