Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 01:18 AM   #1

Canon ef macro - fd bellows

Hi, my name is Eric and I am new to this site. From the onset, I apologise for the longwindedness of this communication but I am new to this form of communicating (Threads/Forums).
I do have a Pentax Optio 550 point and shoot which was my introduction to digital photography however, I must confess I am currently using a Canon EOS 400d. I have a number of lenses for this camera including a 100mm macro, and whilst noting some of the criticism on this site of the 7D, I plan to upgrade to this model sometime in the future. I plan to focus (no pun intended ... I am sure it has been said before) on macro photography. I came about this site by accident when researching some FD to EF adapters for a Canon FD bellows (slide copier). I know that a female adapter is available but is it possible to get a male for the other end - ftting my lens to the bellows. I am aware of the MP-E 65mm lens however the bellows appears to be a lovely piece of cradftmanship and I am loathe to dispose of it without attempting to use it in someway. Can you advise me. If responding please advise in laymans terms as I am not the most technical of individuals.
Thanks

02-19-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Your FD bellows isn't made to use Eos lenses on it

Your FD bellows isn't made to use Eos lenses on it.

I've never seen a FD body to eos lens mount adapter.

If it existed you could not control aperture on eos lens.

My FD Autobellows allows me to use other lenses, via numerous adapters I've located over the years.

Its true you can locate a Eos to FD adapter to mount your Rebel or future 7D to the Fd bellows but you cannot use your eos lenses on it.

I've considered the MP-E 65mm 1-5x lens, but I've accumulated alot of various old and odd optics I can adapt to bellows so I don't really need the MP-E. Well not until I want a nice easy to carry set up. If I wanted a handy set up the MP-E would be my first choice. If you add MP-E you may also want to add canon's twin flash head for it too. Together its a pretty pricey kit.

Canon 7D looks like a great camera, I enjoy handling it from time to time locally. I consider more gear than I actually buy so testdriving everyones current equiptment is fun for me. That new Canon T2i looks pretty nice too and at half the cost of 7D I'm sure it'll be a strong seller for Canon in 2010.

As far as the general dislike of Canon 7D here, its a Pentax site and this off brand section exists for Pentax owners heading off into multibrand ownership or to chit chat about gear other than Pentax. Generally Pentax owners dislike anything anyone else makes, offers, has offered from day one.
02-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Your FD bellows isn't made to use Eos lenses on it.

I've never seen a FD body to eos lens mount adapter.

If it existed you could not control aperture on eos lens.

My FD Autobellows allows me to use other lenses, via numerous adapters I've located over the years.

Its true you can locate a Eos to FD adapter to mount your Rebel or future 7D to the Fd bellows but you cannot use your eos lenses on it.

I've considered the MP-E 65mm 1-5x lens, but I've accumulated alot of various old and odd optics I can adapt to bellows so I don't really need the MP-E. Well not until I want a nice easy to carry set up. If I wanted a handy set up the MP-E would be my first choice. If you add MP-E you may also want to add canon's twin flash head for it too. Together its a pretty pricey kit.

Canon 7D looks like a great camera, I enjoy handling it from time to time locally. I consider more gear than I actually buy so testdriving everyones current equiptment is fun for me. That new Canon T2i looks pretty nice too and at half the cost of 7D I'm sure it'll be a strong seller for Canon in 2010.

As far as the general dislike of Canon 7D here, its a Pentax site and this off brand section exists for Pentax owners heading off into multibrand ownership or to chit chat about gear other than Pentax. Generally Pentax owners dislike anything anyone else makes, offers, has offered from day one.
Hi Samsungian,
Thank you for your response I will take all your suggestions on board.
Again, Thanks
Eric
08-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #4

samsungian,
Is there *ANY* way (official, aftermarket, black market, etc.) to get the MP-E 65 to work on my Pentax SLR? While you said you had some old and odd optics you could adapt to bellows, so you don't "need" the MP-E, I work with a lot of folks over at BugGuide.net, and, oh!, you can do some neat things with that lens. I *really* wish Pentax would put out a true greater than 1:1 macro. The MP-E is an expensive enough lens as it is, not to mention getting a good flash...I really don't want to have to pick up a rebel body ALSO if I can avoid it.

Thanks for any info or advice,
Kevin

Kevin

08-30-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd say no, mp-e65 only works with Canon eos film or eos dslr

I'd say no, mp-e65 only works with Canon eos film or eos dslr.

Why ?

Canon eos mount is fully electronic, no levers to adjust aperture.

mp-e is not a high magnification lens, just like 1x to 5x. You could get 5x to 10x simply reversing any 50mm macro lens mounted on bellows. Greater the extension the higher the magnification. Back in FD Canon days they made a 20mm 2.8 bellows lens and 35mm Bellows lens. Canon's 20mm lens gives you 10x-20x.
Heres a link to an outfit that sold yesterday at ebay usa that had nice images of Canon's FD era outfit:

Canon 20mm 35mm Macro Photo Lens Auto Bellows Set FD - eBay (item 140443978413 end time Aug-29-10 18:42:44 PDT)

Pentax made a K to microscope thread mount adapter. With it you could then get Pentax K bellows, the adapter and use Canon microscope thread mount lenses or any royal micrscope thread mount lenses.

Heres a great site dealing with high magnification macro, a thread chatting about Nikon microscope lenses:

www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Nikon Objectives

MP-E65 is handy however you need focus rail for ease of use. So it then becomes as big as bellows set up.

Sometimes one must buy a Canon Eos camera to use a specific Canon Eos lens,

or make do and cobble together bits from elsewhere.

I've bought some of these and they are fairly well made:

RMS Thread to M42 Adapter for microscope objective cone - eBay (item 350352400700 end time Sep-07-10 05:49:48 PDT)

with this and a Pentax m42 to k adapter mounted on Pentax K bellows you can then use royal microscope thread lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by illya Quote
samsungian,
Is there *ANY* way (official, aftermarket, black market, etc.) to get the MP-E 65 to work on my Pentax SLR? While you said you had some old and odd optics you could adapt to bellows, so you don't "need" the MP-E, I work with a lot of folks over at BugGuide.net, and, oh!, you can do some neat things with that lens. I *really* wish Pentax would put out a true greater than 1:1 macro. The MP-E is an expensive enough lens as it is, not to mention getting a good flash...I really don't want to have to pick up a rebel body ALSO if I can avoid it.

Thanks for any info or advice,
Kevin

Kevin

Last edited by Samsungian; 08-30-2010 at 06:31 AM.
08-31-2010, 12:21 AM   #6

magnification vs. macro

Thanks for the confirmation. I noticed that it had no manual settings on it. Figured that would mean all electronic control. While not "impossible", making a Pentax electronically control a Canon lens (when they probably don't even speak the same software/electronic language) would definitely be problematic. It was just a tiny hope you'd heard of something.

As for "magnification", the thing that makes the MP-E65 so neat from what I understand, isn't that it magnifies by 5x, but that it is a 5:1 macro. It's not taking a 1:1 macro image and blowing it up five times bigger -- it's picking up details 1/5 as small as a 1:1 macro can.

I haven't tried reversed lenses...it sounds like they can also get great detail? Not just magnify things?? As for "rails", I have a friend over at BugGuide who uses it as a field camera. No rails.

However, a lot of talk about the bellows and reversed lenses sound interesting, but that's mainly studio, yes? I'm looking to take shots in the field as much as possible.

Thanks for all the info for the newbie to the forum.

Kevin

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I'd say no, mp-e65 only works with Canon eos film or eos dslr.

Why ?

Canon eos mount is fully electronic, no levers to adjust aperture.

mp-e is not a high magnification lens, just like 1x to 5x. You could get 5x to 10x simply reversing any 50mm macro lens mounted on bellows. Greater the extension the higher the magnification. Back in FD Canon days they made a 20mm 2.8 bellows lens and 35mm Bellows lens. Canon's 20mm lens gives you 10x-20x.
Heres a link to an outfit that sold yesterday at ebay usa that had nice images of Canon's FD era outfit:

Canon 20mm 35mm Macro Photo Lens Auto Bellows Set FD - eBay (item 140443978413 end time Aug-29-10 18:42:44 PDT)

Pentax made a K to microscope thread mount adapter. With it you could then get Pentax K bellows, the adapter and use Canon microscope thread mount lenses or any royal micrscope thread mount lenses.

Heres a great site dealing with high magnification macro, a thread chatting about Nikon microscope lenses:

www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Nikon Objectives

MP-E65 is handy however you need focus rail for ease of use. So it then becomes as big as bellows set up.

Sometimes one must buy a Canon Eos camera to use a specific Canon Eos lens,

or make do and cobble together bits from elsewhere.

I've bought some of these and they are fairly well made:

RMS Thread to M42 Adapter for microscope objective cone - eBay (item 350352400700 end time Sep-07-10 05:49:48 PDT)

with this and a Pentax m42 to k adapter mounted on Pentax K bellows you can then use royal microscope thread lenses
08-31-2010, 05:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nope, not heard a thing about using Canon Eos on Pentax

Nope, not heard a thing about using Canon Eos on Pentax.

Canon has a very large mount diameter, Pentax not so large.
So you cannot put a Eos lens into the Pentax mount, sorry

Used MP-E do exist, sometimes people get them and realize its not for them.

Here's a "MP-E Love" thread I just recalled reading:

MP-E 65mm Love Thread - FM Forums

Its not so bad buying a Canon to then use a MP-E.

Cameras are tools, buy the tool(s) you need to persue your imaging vision.

MP-E Specs and product images:

Canon Macro Photo MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Manual Focus 2540A002 -

You may notice in its fully deployed to 5x position in green writing it says focus distance is 1.6 inches, found in "images" in ad.
It is handy to have this info engraved on it.

And the Canon twin head lights mount onto it...

Canon is only company I am aware of that has anything like MP-E.

QuoteOriginally posted by illya Quote
Thanks for the confirmation. I noticed that it had no manual settings on it. Figured that would mean all electronic control. While not "impossible", making a Pentax electronically control a Canon lens (when they probably don't even speak the same software/electronic language) would definitely be problematic. It was just a tiny hope you'd heard of something.

As for "magnification", the thing that makes the MP-E65 so neat from what I understand, isn't that it magnifies by 5x, but that it is a 5:1 macro. It's not taking a 1:1 macro image and blowing it up five times bigger -- it's picking up details 1/5 as small as a 1:1 macro can.

I haven't tried reversed lenses...it sounds like they can also get great detail? Not just magnify things?? As for "rails", I have a friend over at BugGuide who uses it as a field camera. No rails.

However, a lot of talk about the bellows and reversed lenses sound interesting, but that's mainly studio, yes? I'm looking to take shots in the field as much as possible.

Thanks for all the info for the newbie to the forum.

Kevin

Last edited by Samsungian; 08-31-2010 at 05:11 AM.