05-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wow, that is cool looking shit!

[source: Here is the new Sony EVIL NEX 3 (freshly leaked) | Photo Rumors]

Let the thread awake

P.S.
kevinschoenmakers tried to relaunch this thread in 04-18-2010. Almost two months after I created this thread ...

05-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

That is the ugliest camera I have ever seen.
05-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I have to agree, especially with that big lens on it.

Last edited by RBellavance; 05-11-2010 at 05:11 AM.
05-10-2010, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Have you seen the photo with the 16mm f2.8 pancake? you called the nx ugly, now this is ugly; what exactly do you like in a camera? the nx was boring as hell, at least they are taking a shot at, well, camera-sexy. There, I said it, haha.

My first thought is they took Ricoh's module concept and said to hell with the module. It is interesting to say the least, will be great for the compact, high image quality camera market.

05-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Have you seen the photo with the 16mm f2.8 pancake? you called the nx ugly, now this is ugly; what exactly do you like in a camera? the nx was boring as hell, at least they are taking a shot at, well, camera-sexy. There, I said it, haha.

My first thought is they took Ricoh's module concept and said to hell with the module. It is interesting to say the least, will be great for the compact, high image quality camera market.
The E-P1 and the GF-1 are beautiful.
05-10-2010, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

I am saddened that it looks like it has gone with lens based IS (like Samsung).
I really prefer in-body stabilization, so that it would be available for pancake lenses, and most importantly, stabilization is available for HD video when using the pancake lens.

And has Sony chosen a proprietary hot shoe rather than a standard one?

And I am surprised that people find it ugly! I find the design clean and modern. How well it handles remain to be seen.
05-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like the design overall (though I'm not a fan of the hotshoe deal) but a lens of those size and proportions on a body that thin just doesn't make sense to me... especially that 18-200 lens.

To note, though: there are two bodies shown. One has a beefier grip whereas the other is just plain ol' thin.

I find it fascinating that the reactions to cameras like this often include comments like "almost as much image quality as a small DSLR" or "not quite as much IQ as a DLSR"... it's got the same size sensor as the DSLRs they refer to, and many of the lenses have the potential to be better than their DSLR counterparts, thanks to the shorter registration distance. Usability is one thing, but I am mystified as to why people expect there to be any disadvantage to mirrorless cameras in regards to technical image quality.

05-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #38
Veteran Member

First hands on:

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Digital Camera - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!

Quite a bit smaller than E-PL1:
05-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very compelling entry from Sony, even though I think it looks like an electric razor with a lens glued onto it. From reading the review, it sounds like it might take awhile for some worthwhile lenses to come out for the camera, but I'm actually glad that Sony is going to do well with this. I'm tired of two companies dominating so much.

Samsung better be ready to bring it to compete.

My favorite part of the Image Resource review is what the Sony EVIL looks like next to the Canon t2i. The size difference makes the Canon seem lumpy and awkward
05-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Dpreview report is now up as well:

Sony NEX mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras previewed: Digital Photography Review

05-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #41
Inactive Account

What's the point of the NX? It's ugly, it's not that small.

Despite the fact the Sony reminds me of a PCMCIA Ethernet adapter, it's still hilarious to see that it's smaller than the Pen clan, but with a bigger sensor.
05-11-2010, 02:32 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Wow.

Sony have really brought it on! Olympus/Panasonic/Samsung will have to be rather nervous!

I think this is going to be a big hit with the ladies. So many of my wife's friends wanting DOF control, and this is perfect for them.

If Sony were to bring out a 30mm (or thereabouts) F2.0 pancake, I'd get one too!
05-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, Sony announced a third body!

Besides NEX3/5, Sony announced this third body for their new E-mount lenses, all sharing the same APSC Exmor HD sensor. It has a built-in EVF.

Due fall this year. I assume this third body supports the same still shooting modes too (I mean, why not?).
05-11-2010, 03:37 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe, Kubrik got it right?

One more try, and Sony may give us the pistol-grip, large exit pupil EVF still camera body we're all waiting for since 1968?

To be used in meeting rooms :ugh:

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:29 AM.
05-11-2010, 03:42 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Question

The NEX have a new sweep automatic 224° panorama mode, where a panorama is stitched in camera from a sequence of images automatically taken in fast succession.

Sony claims that these panoramas will be displayed 3D on their new 3D capable Bravia TV's if camera is connected via HDMI.

Question: What is the correlation of a panorama and a 3D feature? I cannot see it.