Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
i have to squeeze the camera to my face or move it around to see the whole frame in viewfinder
I also have this problem.

I'm having terrible back focus issues with one of my lenses and seldom use AF anymore.

03-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

whine whine whine

Pentax disappointments: 1) K20D high-ISO performance; 2) annoying menu layout [I love the menus on my Sony DSC-V1]; 3) lack of affordable primes

Canon disappointments: that I no longer possess Demi-EE17 and Dial-35

Olympus disappointment: that I no longer possess Pen-FT system
03-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-x annoyances: 1) The grip is just a few millimeters too short to make my little finger comfortable, 2) RAW files write SLOWLY on all affordable SD cards, and 3) it's so loud!

40D annoyances: too many to list, I really only liked the speed of it. If I were purchasing again I would just suck it up and get a 50D, which would still leave my ergonomics complaints and irritation with the lack of customization options, while bringing the file quality up to acceptable levels and providing a screen that allows decent preview.

K20D annoyances: operation was generally slow, shadows were noisy at all ISOs. Otherwise great camera.

E-330 annoyances (really digging back here!): small dim viewfinder, some half-baked functions, low resolution with high noise (though base ISO looked great if you didn't enlarge past 11x14 or so), even slower AF than the K20D, it was the last Oly shipped with the 14-45mm kit lens, which is one of only two Digital Zuiko lenses in existence that is actually best described as "mediocre," as far as I can tell (the newer 14-42 is fantastic). Wasn't even up to the demands of a 7mp sensor...

Despite all that, I've loved all the cameras I've owned and used (ok, I was a little more lukewarm towards the 40D, but I loved it for the 85mm lens I had mounted on it for the duration ). Nothing's perfect, and the closer you get to that unachievable perfection, the more things cost.
03-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #19

No beer button on the K-7… hmm, aren't Pentax cameras off-topic in this forum.

03-05-2010, 06:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Pentax (DL/K100ds/K10d/K7): Slow AF (K7 is a huge improvement), overpriced glass, virtually no used market, only 12-bits RAW files.

Nikon D300s: no audible confirmation of MF... only AF's in-focus indicator at the left bottom of VF... No in-body SR... Heavy and bulky, though very solid and you don't feel any vibration when shooting... (as oppose to K100d which shakes like a rattlesnake) Over-priced glass, no f/4 line of lenses (although with the new 16-35 there's hope on horizon)...
03-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Complaints:

Canon AE-1 Program: I already sold it, but I just want to say...How about you actually use the displays in the viewfinder to you know...tell me something! Shooting with this camera is obtuse and a best-guess effort, especially in Program mode, where it tells me practically nothing.

K10D: Could your High-ISO performance be just a tad better? Or just a tad worse so I can upgrade without any remorse?

Fujifilm FinePix S2000HD: also sold, but for chrissakes...what a confusing menu system.

Konica Autoreflex TC: Could your aperture scale be just a little harder to see? I think I accidentally figured out what it said once. Also, can I have a shutter speed below 8 but above bulb?

Konica Autoreflex T3: I would complain about this camera, but I can't because i've been crushed to death by it.
03-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

On my 40D...

1. Not that intuative of an interface coming from Pentax. That's one thing Pentax really has going for it.
2. I wish it had a few more MPs for cropping purposes.
3. It's not FF.

On #2 & #3--the 40D was a surprise gift from my parents, so I didn't actually pick it out. I plan on remedying the FF situation--hopefully by the end of the year with a 5Dc. In addition, I'll get a couple more MPs with the FF.

Overall, the 40D isn't bad at all, so I really don't have much else to complain about.

Heather

03-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
My hand held 20 year old selenium cell light meter is considerably more accurate than the built in meter in my K10d. Truly pathetic, considering how superb the rest of the camera is.
If its a selenium meter, wouldn't it be at least 35 years old?
03-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

D700:

1. No SR. Sure, the high-ISO capabilities are excellent, but I'd still like to have it.
2. "95%" viewfinder (actually more like 90%). Annoying coming from the K-7.
3. Battery life is a lot shorter than the K-7, unless you spring for the D3 battery/charger/grip cap and consign yourself to adding that much weight to an already heavy camera.

That's about it.
03-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yashica Lynx 1000:
  • Selenium meter has poor sensitivity
  • Large for a 35mm rangefinder
  • Not a Leica
Yashica Lynx 5000:
  • Same as above, without comment about selenium meter
Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL:
  • Nasty dim viewfinder
  • Heavy
  • Not a Spotmatic
Ricoh Singlex TLS
  • Not a Spotmatic
Ricoh XR-2s
  • Meter requires partial shutter depress
  • Loud shutter
Ricoh XR7
  • Will eventually die
Olympus XA
  • Too small for my big hands
  • Slippery when using cloth gloves
  • Poor contrast for RF spot
Canon G2
  • Slow AF
  • Only 4 megapixels
  • Highest ISO only 400
Chamonix 045N-2
  • Currently on slow boat from China

Did I mention that all of the above are capable of producing excellent images?

Steve
03-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax
K-x -- too big... AF tracking...
03-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #27

Mamiya rz67 pro II - I had to buy a new (big) bag for this one. Heavy as well. But I love it so much!