Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon 7D vs Nikon 300s vs Pentax K7 ISO Comparisons

This was a most helpful link, for me.

キヤノン「EOS 7D」実写画像&ライバルとの画質比較 - デジカメWatch

Since Pentax has kinda disappeared off the market (much to my distress) over here, I have been looking at Nikon/Canon, for a new system (going forward) aps-c & FF very seriously.

The page also has some "out of cam 7D jpegs" with a range of Canon glass, to put through ones own work flow.

All the glass used on this site is generally 2/3 the price of Nikon/Pentax equivalents.

Too be quite honest, after putting the pics on offer through very basic auto workflow, I was quite astounded by what I was getting IQ wise with the pics taken at Iso's 1600 & 3200.

At ISO 3200 - (Unfortunately Flickr compressed the pic to 1024) - I just used auto contrast & sharpening (looks a tad over sharpened) & Noiseware free @ lowest setting

Head Crop

I'm pretty certain these would make very good A4 as they are and with better pp A3.

My workflow with the files was literally cut in half (compared to K10D) i.e. all I had to do was a slight contrast adjustment & sharpen and the pic was damn near perfect.

The cropping that can be achieved, even at high iso is quite remarkable.

Native 7D jpeg at 3200 looks like my K10D at 640iso.

This exercise also broke my "bubble" about the Pentax lenses being superior in every way to anything else.

The 7D is quite something.

03-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

another one...

If you need convincing you should see the picture of the same tiger with a D300s and K7... you're in for a few surprises... even if you were to shoot the same picture with the K10....

And you're in the wrong making comparisons to K10... K10 is a 2006 CCD-based body, it didn't like being pushed over ISO800... but it was still usable at 1600....
03-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote

Native 7D jpeg at 3200 looks like my K10D at 640iso.

This exercise also broke my "bubble" about the Pentax lenses being superior in every way to anything else.

The 7D is quite something.
If you live in the "bubble" of thinking that any brand's glass is superior in every way to anything else, it's bound to get popped in a serious way.

And yes, the newer sensors in cameras like the 7D/T2i, K-x/D90/D5000, and A550 are pretty darn amazing. That doesn't mean that your K10D suddenly starts producing worthless dung for files.
03-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are all quite right and I have over 3000 pics with my K10D.

Unfortunately I live in a country with zero interest in Pentax, zero lenses, zero shop/online presence etc etc much to my anguish - but one has to move forward

03-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Who's who ?

I'd say you live in a country that Pentax has zero interest in marketing to.

Pentax makes products and they expect thru FREE PRESS viral marketing campains people will clamour to buy items that do not exist in their local marketplace.

645D was most likely relaunched just to gain free publicity to get the Branding Name "Pentax" in the media...

645D will sell only in Japan, the world outside of Japan did not abandon Pentax 645D. Pentax 645D abandoned the world.

Don't take it personal, lots of great gear gets made thesedays. Alot of Pentaxians like to believe Pentax is great because both Canon and Nikon suck. None of my Canikon gear sucks, no failures, no quality control issues, ect... I know both canon and nikon have inhouse repair centers and if I have an issue it'll get fixed not outsourced due to layoffs and more budget cuts.

I've yet to come across a Pentax shooter at any national park, state park or elsewhere. Never seen a Pentax gear owner at a photography class. I've met people who use to own Pentax after they've moved on.

Buy the gear that makes you a happy phoptographer. I've been selling off my pentax kit, after the fact, after I added Canikon. Sad to see it go, great to re-coup most of the money except on dslr, they become about worthless after 3 years.

Moral of story , buy more glass and less cameras as glass holds its value better and digital cameras thesedays don't. Whereas my film cameras I bought past 20 years are still pretty much worth what I paid. Well except for my Pentax, it's lost a solid $300 from when I bought it.

Unfortunately I live in a country with zero interest in Pentax, zero lenses, zero shop/online presence etc etc much to my anguish - but one has to move forward
03-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You have not over, but only 3000 pics... since.. when did you get your K10?

That's what I average in 1.5-2 months... using the camera for work, personal stuff and travel...

Just admit it, "I'm in a severe need of new toy!!! could please somebody help me to justify one?"....

You can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon... but with only 3K shots in what? 2 years? I'd question if you really need the 7D-level camera... perhaps, the new 550D might just fit the bill?
03-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If one is not using the gear you have, however cheap or expensive, for professional use, it really is just a toy isn't it?

One's photographic tool of choice, really can be a personal issue, the type of photography one covers/grows into, lens types & availability etc etc etc

Why have togs on this forum moved from a K10D to a 20D/K7 some even moving from a K10D/20D to a Kx?

If ones interests (like mine) cover indoor climbing comps(mercury vapor/incandescent low light), landscape, surfing, wildlife, mountain biking and at the same time wanting to take video clips in certain situations then yes the K10D is now limiting as is the Pentax lens selection (and it's prohibitive pricing).

The K7 is a lovely dslr and one I have seriously looked at but then many feel it is not much better than the K20D.

Surf photography/wildlife/sport etc - please show me some affordable Pentax prime glass like the 100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS L, 70-200 F4 IS, 300 F4 L IS, 400 F5.6 L IS, all weather sealed lenses and FF compatible

In order for me just to get these focal lengths at such affordable prices (and easy to get slightly used) I only have ONE choice and that is Canon.

I have used the 450D & 40D and was the reason I bought the K10D but I'm sure one has to agree that the 7D is a phenom photographic tool with a ton of legacy lenses to choose from.

Have I bought the 7D yet - no - as I have been considering the 5DMK11 or D700 - although I firmly believe that the 7D comes very close to those cams in terms of IQ and it is much better for sport.

Too be quite honest I can afford quite easily the D3s but I'm one of those that look for the best bang for my buck type of investors.

Isn't that the reason most bought into the Pentax brand?

Unfortunately as a total package. Pentax falls short, with regards my photographic interests and with the 7D, Canon (and I hate to say it) along with their lens selection, availability, support, trade in, second hand market now offers the "best bang for your buck"

Peace

Regards

03-02-2010, 06:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Everyone I know who has a 7D loves it. As you've noted, the really important thing is to go with the glass.
03-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If ones interests (like mine) cover indoor climbing comps(mercury vapor/incandescent low light), landscape, surfing, wildlife, mountain biking and at the same time wanting to take video clips in certain situations then yes the K10D is now limiting as is the Pentax lens selection (and it's prohibitive pricing).

Unfortunately as a total package. Pentax falls short, with regards my photographic interests and with the 7D, Canon (and I hate to say it) along with their lens selection, availability, support, trade in, second hand market now offers the "best bang for your buck"
Unfortunately I can nothing bug agree... After the last spike of lens prices Pentax lost the biggest chunk if it's appeal... not that there are many lenses to begin with... But now somehow Hoya figgured that they are equal to big boys and can charge big-boy's prices for their stuff.... good luck with that... For same price i'd rather pay for Nikon's AF-S 300/4 than DA*300 that is slow to focus and comes with SDM lottery free of charge...

If you're shooting any sports like surfing, you'll be happier with a cropped body like 7D vs 5Dmk2... Crop factor comes handy in these situations... And right now, 7D has the best video implementation on the market.

Last edited by alexeyga; 03-02-2010 at 04:24 PM.
03-03-2010, 04:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

In order for me just to get these focal lengths at such affordable prices (and easy to get slightly used) I only have ONE choice and that is Canon.

Care to justify more about this?
03-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Care to justify more about this?
Try to compare prices and availability for a used Pentax FA* 80-200/2.8
and Canon EF 70-200/2.8L, or Pentax FA* 28-70/2.8 and Canon EF 24-70/2.8L or even Canon EF 28-70/2.8L to be more precise
The list can go on and on.
03-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Surf photography/wildlife/sport etc - please show me some affordable Pentax prime glass like the 100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS L, 70-200 F4 IS, 300 F4 L IS, 400 F5.6 L IS, all weather sealed lenses and FF compatible
Just a pedantic note here that the 100-400L isn't weather sealed (great lens though, mine's sharp wide open across the range, and the USM focus is astonishing) and I don't think the 400mm f/5.6 has IS .
03-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
Try to compare prices and availability for a used Pentax FA* 80-200/2.8
and Canon EF 70-200/2.8L, or Pentax FA* 28-70/2.8 and Canon EF 24-70/2.8L or even Canon EF 28-70/2.8L to be more precise
The list can go on and on.
Um, why compare lenses that are in production to those that have been discontinued for 6 years?
03-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Are the FA*'s weather-proof? Also are they made out of metal? Just wondering since in the pictures they look kind of plasticky.
03-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Just a pedantic note here that the 100-400L isn't weather sealed (great lens though, mine's sharp wide open across the range, and the USM focus is astonishing) and I don't think the 400mm f/5.6 has IS .
Correct, the 100-400 is known as the "dust pump" and frankly I don't know how in the hell you'd seal a push/pull zoom to begin with. And yes, the 400/5.6 lacks IS -- if Canon released that lens in an IS version or yet better created a 500/5.6 IS they would have birders worshipping at their feet. The 400/5.6 is a PERFECT birding lens for flight shots, so if you could add IS on to that for static work, coupled with a 7D it couldn't be beat. (Yeah, I know there are bigger/faster lenses but a crop body and 400/5.6 can be carried and used all day with comfort which makes a big difference.)