Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #1

A reason to get an m43 camera…

Perhaps this 50 mm ƒ/0.95 is a reason to add an m43 camera to the collection.

03-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by joakimfors Quote
Perhaps this 50 mm ƒ/0.95 is a reason to add an m43 camera to the collection.

I know... that will essentially be a 100mm crop factor with F.95 --- even those little sensors may get some darn interesting looking background.

The lens already exists as a CCTV lens and I bet there are already versions of it on 4/3 cams, since the adaptors are readily available.

Got to go look on the flickr and MF lense forums
03-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Sounds strangely familiar, but at a much lower price
03-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It is much easier to build very fast small lenses for small cameras than big cameras; but if they were easy to build, everyone would make them. Some very small sensors can be fitted with very fast lenses, but the IQ won't quite be up to National Geographic standards.

The 4/3 sensor is 1/2 the size of an APS/C sensor, which is 1/2 the size of a FF/35 frame, which is about 1/3 the size of a 645 frame, which is half the size of a 6x9 frame, etc. The 4/3 format is excellent if you need a very small SLR with better IQ than any P&S with a tiny sensor. Pentax used to make a fine camera for film frames the size of a 4/3 sensor -- the 110 SLR. I fear that the 4/3 format will join the 110 film format in Camera Heaven. It's just a matter of time.

03-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It is much easier to build very fast small lenses for small cameras than big cameras; but if they were easy to build, everyone would make them. Some very small sensors can be fitted with very fast lenses, but the IQ won't quite be up to National Geographic standards.

The 4/3 sensor is 1/2 the size of an APS/C sensor, which is 1/2 the size of a FF/35 frame, which is about 1/3 the size of a 645 frame, which is half the size of a 6x9 frame, etc. The 4/3 format is excellent if you need a very small SLR with better IQ than any P&S with a tiny sensor. Pentax used to make a fine camera for film frames the size of a 4/3 sensor -- the 110 SLR. I fear that the 4/3 format will join the 110 film format in Camera Heaven. It's just a matter of time.
People have been predicting the death of 4/3 since its inception, and it's only grown stronger in its position. Particularly with the advent of of m4/3, giving 4/3 two markets to compete in including one where it's got the headstart and the size advantage, I don't see 4/3 dissapearing anytime sooner than APS-C or FF.

For the record, the 4/3 frame is actually a little over 60% of the APS-C frame (not half) and the aspect ratio difference means that it's actually only barely smaller (vertically) than APS-C. For some reason a lot of people think the difference between 4/3 and APS-C is like the difference between APS-C and FF. It's not. The difference is really negligible. The higher noise they've been blaming on the 4/3 format being smaller all this time is really more due to the fact that Panasonic has been designing noisy sensors and Sony and Canon (the main APS-C sensor makers) have been making pretty efficient, lower noise sensors. The newer GH1 sensor leaves little to be desired; Pany is catching up, and fuji may be getting into the game.

Of course, 4/3 will disappear from the "new" market someday. Probably once flat silicon-based sensors go the way of film.

I'm looking forward to some better 4/3 sensors unlocking the real potential of that fantastic zuiko glass...
03-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I'm looking forward to some better 4/3 sensors unlocking the real potential of that fantastic zuiko glass...
I'm not an enemy of 4/3, and I've been a fan of Zuiko glass -- one great love of my life was my Pen-FT system. I've recommended m4:3 to a backpacking friend who wants lightweight quality. BUT watching photo technology over the decades leads me to conclude that, when prices are similar, smaller formats become marginalized, unless other performance factors are significant. By which I mean, whatever gives the most bang-for-the-buck-for-the-size will probably dominate.

Larger, CLUMSIER formats are devoured (mass-market-wise) by smaller, NIMBLER formats, in the same price range. Are m4:3 systems significantly more agile than APS-C systems? For my backpacker friend, yes, although some packers still insist on schlepping 4x5" field cams and tripods on their forays. For extensive travelers, probably. For casual shooters, probably not, especially if they've been brainwashed by Canon marketing.

What I'd like to see is, a good 4/3 sensor in a superzoom P&S. Interchangeable lenses are great (I own too many) BUT dirty sensors suck, and cleaning dirty sensors can be a pain. With film, every frame is a clean sensor. An m4:3 SEALED camera with a fast 10-100 (or something like that) would likely be a hit with those wanting to travel light, those in less-than-immaculate environments, etc.

Ah well, the more formats, the merrier!
03-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Will larger formats in a similar pricepoint and body size dominate? Certainly. They already do. But I don't see the 4/3 format going extinct. I've been a lot more worried about Pentax than 4/3, historically speaking. I've gotten to the point where I have faith that both my favorite camera systems are probably here to stay for a while.

03-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #8

Hello. I'm a former K20D owner now shooting with an Olympus E-P2. I enjoyed the K20D but wanted something smaller and the E-P2 fits the bill. I've been lurking around for two reasons. First, I enjoy the banter here. This is one of the nicer forums, good folks and good information. Second, I've been thinking about trying the FA 77mm f1.8 LTD on my Oly. I think Cameraquest has a Pentax K adapter that would work, have to find out for sure. I really miss the 77mm LTD, I took some of my favorite pictures with it. On the E-P2 it would be a 150 - 155mm tele, but that would be fine. This was my favorite lens when I had the K20D... Has anyone here used their Pentax glass on a M4/3rds camera???
John

Last edited by johnny9fingers; 03-02-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: removed postscript.
03-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have Johnny, and I have been enjoying it quite alot; the Panny 20mm and 50mm SMC-F macro make a great relatively compact pair to carry around! I unfortunately have not had the time to upload many photos taken with Pentax lenses mounted, but here is one with the macro: