Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2010, 12:44 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seeing that you are quite new to the dslr world and reading your "present" photographic likes I would suggest the KX sold with the 18-55 wr & 55-300wr combo.

Unless you are serious about primes - this combo will fulfill your photographic needs for quite some time.

The above lenses are all I have used with my K10D for a while.

BUT if you need hardcore ruggedness and speed of operation in a dslr on a budget - then to be quite honest nothing and I say nothing beats a K10/20D for the price.

Last edited by dylansalt; 03-12-2010 at 01:00 AM.
03-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #32
Veteran Member

The new Canon 15-85 has been found to have "L" credentials in the IQ (no weather resistance) dept and would be my 1st choice as a "kit" lens to pair with a Canon dslr.
03-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Ex DL/XT/XSi/D200/K100ds/K10D/K7-user/owner... currently owning a D300s+Nikon and Tokina glass...
Seeing you owned Pentax, Canon and Nikon what do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of Nikon and Canon?
03-12-2010, 02:39 AM   #34
Veteran Member

K-7 and Tamron 28-75/2.8 for flexibility

Or if the money allows and I'm being hardcore on using prime, Canon 5dii and FA 43 (and an army of M42 lenses)

03-12-2010, 03:04 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Or if the money allows and I'm being hardcore on using prime, Canon 5dii and FA 43 (and an army of M42 lenses)
Can Canon body able to mount w/ pentax lenses?
03-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Seeing you owned Pentax, Canon and Nikon what do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of Nikon and Canon?
That has been discussed so many times before... And i'm afraid I won't be able to tell you anything new... Everyone will have to make it's own choice...

The "ideal" camera body for me would be a K7-sized D300s with in-body SR, 7D's video, D3's 14-bits frame rate and Rebel's price... Unfortunately that doesn't exist and no signs of anything similar in any near future... So as such, D300s does it for me beautifully as it is...

But as i've said before, having owned and having worked with quite a few bodies, it all comes down to lenses... And that's where Pentax has really noting investing worthy besides some ridiculously over-priced limiteds... And as a side-note, coming back to Canon... personally, white color of any serious Canon glass is a good enough reason for me to stay away...

Looking back, if it wasn't for a really bad experience with my K7's purchase, I'd still be shooting Pentax... but I wasn't too happy with the direction Pentax was taking lately anyways, so the switch was easy... I always had a weakness for Nikon ever since getting my hands on that D200 a while back... couldn't afford to keep it back then however...

Last edited by alexeyga; 03-12-2010 at 08:31 AM.
03-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
The new Canon 15-85 has been found to have "L" credentials in the IQ (no weather resistance) dept and would be my 1st choice as a "kit" lens to pair with a Canon dslr.
For the price of the K-x+18-55+55-200 combo that is one hell of a kit lens... I thought Nikon's 16-85 was ridiculously priced... until i saw the price for 15-85....

03-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #38

Original Poster
Seeing that you are quite new to the dslr world and reading your "present" photographic likes I would suggest the KX sold with the 18-55 wr & 55-300wr combo.
Do you have any experience with one? What can you tell me about it, other than what I can read from specs.

Unless you are serious about primes - this combo will fulfill your photographic needs for quite some time.

The above lenses are all I have used with my K10D for a while.

BUT if you need hardcore ruggedness and speed of operation in a dslr on a budget - then to be quite honest nothing and I say nothing beats a K10/20D for the price.
I don't need the ruggedness, I would like great IQ. And though I'm new to DSLRs, I'm not new to photography. I've used to have a Zenit film SLR. I know what aperture, ISO, etc is and know how to use it.
03-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Can Canon body able to mount w/ pentax lenses?
You have to shave the aperture ring for K lenses, and you have to shave the mirror box for alot of the M42s, but yes, Canon 5dii can mount pentax lenses
03-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #40
Pentaxian

just too make life simpler, I'll chuck in another suggestion... :-)

Olympus E-620 and the ZD 12-60/f2.8-4 SWD.

The E-620 is a great camera itself; nice and compact, well built, articulated screen, VERY customisable and probably the best out-of-camera-JPEGs on the market (great if you don't like playing in photoshop with RAWs)... And the 12-60 (24-120mm equivalent) is, well............. ****ing amazing.

Incredibly sharp, great bokeh, fast aperture, fast and quiet focussing, virtually no CA, incredible colours.....

I have this lens for my E-3 and it rarely comes off :-)

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/olympus_12-60_2p8-4_o20/
03-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
K-7 and Tamron 28-75/2.8 for flexibility

Definitely agree with this, the lens has superb IQ all around and the focal length is ideal for a 1 lens kit. Plus with the in-body IS of the Pentax bodies, you wouldn't have to worry about in-lens IS..
03-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrzej Quote
Do you have any experience with one? What can you tell me about it, other than what I can read from specs.

I don't need the ruggedness, I would like great IQ. And though I'm new to DSLRs, I'm not new to photography. I've used to have a Zenit film SLR. I know what aperture, ISO, etc is and know how to use it.
I have the two lenses and they are great performers for the price - of course there is better glass - at a price of course.

I have briefly used a KX and it is a well built cam and is capable as any other dslr in a similar price range, when it comes to pic quality - It has the latest sony exmor sensor.

With regards lens IQ - right now Canon lenses are a 3rd less pricier than anyone else - and offer a huge range.
03-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #43

Original Poster
I have the two lenses and they are great performers for the price - of course there is better glass - at a price of course.

I have briefly used a KX and it is a well built cam and is capable as any other dslr in a similar price range, when it comes to pic quality - It has the latest sony exmor sensor.

With regards lens IQ - right now Canon lenses are a 3rd less pricier than anyone else - and offer a huge range.
Can you tell me if the pentax kit lens is better than canons kit 18-55?
03-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #44
Veteran Member

It is... Pentax's 18-55 is the best 18-55 on the market... but if you'll get pentax, you should still have anough cash left for the DA 16-45/4... which is a great all-rounder if you don't neet to go too long...
03-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #45
Veteran Member

The newer Canon 18-55 IS (not the original 18-55) is an EXCELLENT lens. The old one was a real piece of crap and unfortunately people haven't realized that Canon switched it out a while back and still bash the new version.

To quote photozone:
QuoteQuote:
There were a few moments when I considered not to publish the results due to "political correctness" because to date it was a quite absurd thought that such a cheap, or better "affordable", lens can perform this good and I'm sure that some will not believe the findings even though they're supported by the published field images. Anyway, the resolution capabilities of the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is nothing short of amazing.