Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 03:47 AM   #1
emr

Which DSLR or EVIL the best for video?

I'm considering entering the 21st century by finally buying an HD capable video camera. An advanced consumer model like Canon HF200 might be fine - or even perhaps a miniscule Sony TG3. But then I figured that perhaps I should just buy a newer DSLR with video, as I currently have the combo of K200D and K20D and some lenses. A K-x might be a cheap video option in addition to other advancements like high ISO shooting. But some video forum posts suggest that DSLRs are clumsy as video cameras.

Ignoring any previous or future lens aquirements, what do you find the best DSLR or EVIL camera for shooting video? Both image quality and usability/handling are considered.

Also, I wonder what would I miss buying a K-x instead of a dedicated video camera?

03-20-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The price of the K-x is hard to beat. I also don't see any difference between all cameras that can shoot video besides the availability and usage of lenses, they're all pretty much the same on what they do... HD with manual focusing, and due to this, it is Pentax who has the upper hand because there are thousands of superb low-cost manual focusing lenses available.

Other than 720p resolution, 1080p really isn't necessary. I've also seen some 720p television having better picture than 1080p counter-parts due to better color and contrast ratios, the difference between 720p to 1080p is much more minimal than comparing 480i/p to 720p, in fact most televisions under 42", you will probably not be able to distinguish the differences between the 720p and 1080p resolutions.

Aside from video-recording, you already have some Pentax glass, you'll also be able to use the K-x as a back-up body as well as an high-ISO alternative to the K20D. I would go with the K-x but however it does not have an external mic output, so if you really want to shoot the "best" for video, you will need an external microphone. As far as that go, I don't even know if any EVIL or m4/3rd are any different with an external mic output.
03-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Here's my favorite HD Dslr site

Here's my favorite HD Dslr site

Philip Bloom - DP, Director, Filmmaker

If you read through it, drill down as there are lots of topics in the short time of the blogs existence, you'll see people are using 5D Mark II and 7D for broadcast TV commericals, Saturday Night Live scenes, Even some scenes from Terminator Salvation were shot with 5D Mark II. Music videos are being shot with 5D Mark II too, ect...

Philip also uses Panasonic GH1 and GF1.

I've never seen him mention, not even once using a Pentax for HD.
Thats goes for Nikon HD Dslrs too. He does use Nikon glass adapted to Canon, as many people do.

You'll notice all the assessories on can buy to dress up the Canon's potential.

That said Canon has a rumoured a dedicated HD Camera that accepts Eos mount glass !
Fall 2010 is a possibility.

Canon and Panasonic both make broadcast cameras for TV so they understand better how to implement the HD spec in comsumer cameras. Sony is dragging their feet as they too make high end broadcast TV cameras. Their hessitency most likely impacts Nikon and Pentax, both buyers of Sony sensors.

That all said, I own no HD Dslr, but its fun technology to read about. I could buy a 5D Mark II and be done with camera aquistion, or a Canon 7D, or a Canon T2i. Canon is pulling away from competition offering this one HD Spec in all three current dslr cameras.

Panasonic GH2 rumors are very appealing also, and its due September 2010.

Drill down at a couple m4/3 & HD sites:

http://43rumors.com/

http://www.eoshd.com/index.php

I know of no site dedicated to Pentax HD Dslrs, anyone got a link ???

Last edited by Samsungian; 03-20-2010 at 06:45 AM.
03-20-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
emr

Thanks, both of you. But, Samsungian, what do you mean by...

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Even some scenes from Terminator 2 Judgement Day were shot with 5D Mark II.
... considering T2 was made in 1991 and 5D Mark II was released in 2008 or 2009?

03-20-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've read the Teminator Salvation had

I've read the newest Teminator Salvation had scene where expolsions destroyed several cameras due to their proximity to the blasts. They used 5DII in those scenes. From what I've read, I wasn't there. I thought the last Teminator movie was done past couple years, not 1991.

Terminator Salvation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Canon 5D Mark II release date was late 2008

Canon Camera Museum | Camera Hall - Digital SLR

Funny thing ? Canon just offered up another firmware update for it for even better HD capture, some 16 months after launch:

Canon Rumors

And to round out the rumors, Canon 5D Mark "III" is also due to hit market one year early, this Fall, 2010 with 7D feature set and dual digic chips...

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Thanks, both of you. But, Samsungian, what do you mean by...

... considering T2 was made in 1991 and 5D Mark II was released in 2008 or 2009?

Last edited by Samsungian; 03-20-2010 at 06:49 AM.
03-20-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
emr

Ah, OK. I guess it has to be T4 Salvation from 2009 then. Terminator Salvation (2009)
03-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
emr

OK, let's refine the question: What's the best DSLR or EVIL for video with a sensor size of APS-C or smaller?
03-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Google up Canon 5D and Terminator and you'll find

Google up Canon 5D and Terminator and you'll find

Canon 5d Mark II | DSLR FILM

among other links:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLR_enUS311...ation+canon+5d

03-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Canon 7D, Canon T2i, Panasonic GH1, GF1

Canon 7D, Canon T2i, Panasonic GH1, GF1

Heck even the newly announced Panasonic G2 looks appealing with its new touchscreen interface

Or wait till this Fall and you'll have more options.

Sony is rumored to be joining the HD spec... this Fall.

If Sony rumor is true than Pentax might be your best choice in next couple years, after Sony and Nikon deploy the newest Sony HD technology. They say Sony K-x Sensor is Pentax best sensor to date, so a couple years is well worth the wait, if you don't need HD in a Dslr today

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
OK, let's refine the question: What's the best DSLR or EVIL for video with a sensor size of APS-C or smaller?

Last edited by Samsungian; 03-20-2010 at 07:08 AM.