Why? Do you already have one to sell?
06-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Samsung NX5 announced by Samsung Germany

Be the first to hear:
"Samsung NX5 announced by Samsung Germany"

Seems to be about $100 cheaper with little differences to the NX10.

Press text:
QuoteQuote:
01 Juni 2010
Samsung NX5

Mit der NX5 stellt Samsung ein fast baugleiches und funktional nur etwas abgespecktes Schwestermodell zur NX10 vor.

Auch die NX5 verfügt über den 14-Megapixel Sensor, allerdings kommt statt des OLED-Display ein herkömmlicher TFT-Bildschirm mit 3 Zoll Diagonale zum Einsatz. Der elektronische Sucher löst nur etwa 300x220 Pixel auf. Beide zeigen etwa 98% des tatsächlichen Bildfeldes. HD-Videos kann auch die NX5 im Format 720p aufzeichnen.
Press text Google translate:
QuoteQuote:
June 1, 2010
Samsung NX5

The NX5 is a Samsung before almost identical in construction and function only slightly stripped down model for sister NX10.

The NX5 has the 14-megapixel sensor, but instead of a conventional OLED display TFT screen comes with 3-inch diagonal is used. The electronic viewfinder dissolves only about 300x220 pixels. Both show approximately 98% of actual picture field. HD video can also record in 720p NX5.
Link to Imaging Resource:
Samsung NX5 Digital Camera - Preview - The Imaging Resource!

Last edited by falconeye; 06-01-2010 at 05:29 PM.
06-02-2010, 01:18 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
any take on resale value of NX10s ?
How long has the system been out, a few months? Does it seem illogical to be trying to determine an investment strategy over such a small time?

Thank you
Russell

06-02-2010, 01:23 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Be the first to hear:
"Samsung NX5 announced by Samsung Germany"
This product leaves me scratching my head. Maybe Samsung just can't make enough of the screens used in the NX10? Or just can't make them for the price the market will bare?

Thank you
Russell
06-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
This product leaves me scratching my head. Maybe Samsung just can't make enough of the screens used in the NX10? Or just can't make them for the price the market will bare?

Thank you
Russell
I believe they are just following the trend just like what Sony is doing with their NEX5 and NEX3. the price difference between the two is only a 100 bucks and had shed off some of the features.
06-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #67
Veteran Member

With such small details in the difference between models of these Samsung and the Sony offerings, they are making them look more and more like point and shoots. With DSLRs you get real differences between models, while these changes are nit-picky at best. I have an mp3 player with an oled screen, nice but definitely not worth a hundred bucks. And to me (a casual video user), HD is HD, 720p is simply put, good enough.

06-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
With such small details in the difference between models of these Samsung and the Sony offerings, they are making them look more and more like point and shoots. With DSLRs you get real differences between models, while these changes are nit-picky at best. I have an mp3 player with an oled screen, nice but definitely not worth a hundred bucks. And to me (a casual video user), HD is HD, 720p is simply put, good enough.
Have you looked at Sony's DSLR lineup recently? Real difference between models? Where?

I think it's just the way giant electronic companies see marketing and try to flood the market with armies of clones to recoup as much as they can on R&D investments and machinery.

Granted, Samsung is not really flooding the market... yet!

Personnaly, I am waiting on Samsung to deliver something interesting on the lens front... fingers crossed for those rumoured Schneider lenses (actually, even two more Salmsung primes of the 30mm caliber would suffice: one in the 15-20mm region and one in the 60-90mm)!
06-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #69
Veteran Member

I thought there was a anti Samsung bias but

I thought there was a anti Samsung bias but I just closed a two day protracted local trade for my pair of Samsung GX-1S "Pentax DS2" clones I bought new in 2006. My #1 and #2 dslrs I ever bought.

I got a $1,000~$1,200 Nikon lens for the Two Samsungs.
So maybe the Samsung Bias I thought existed doesn't exist.
Or I got really lucky !

I'll remain "Samsungian" though I own zero Samsung K Mount Dslrs now.

Just have one Pentax K20D left in my kit & the Pentax ZX-L film body I bought new 8 years ago.

Anyways, I think NX10 looks cool and owners of it & the 30mm seem quite happy.
But, I assume no one will carry it locally.
So without a hands on demo I'll pass on it.

Why some camera manufacturers thesedays think they can blindly sell cameras without a local presence amazes me.
The Sony NEX System looks ridiculous. Well, to me atleast.

Having had a GH1 Panasonic a while back to consider I found this Electronic Viewfinder camera is not for me.
I gained a greater appreciation for my Pentaprism Viewfinder Dslrs.

edit,

Last edited by Samsungian; 06-04-2010 at 05:38 AM.
11-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #70
Veteran Member

I just got my NX10 + 30mm kit. A certain incredible online bargain dried up, but I found nearly as good a bargain locally, so I couldn't resist (326€ for the camera body + pancake kit).

While the camera in its pseudo-DSLR looks is IMO one of the ugliest ones in recent years, it is a pretty fun gadget. The camera body size feels pretty good for a carry-around compact camera, not too big and not quite too small. Admittedly a finger or two goes off the grip, but I can hold it fairly comfortably nevertheless. The menus feel pretty intuitive and clear and after just some minutes I figured out most of the properties without even opening the manual. (Well, not 100% true. The diopter setting was so stiff that I needed to check if there's some locking mechanism in place. There wasn't).The balance is quite nice with the pancake lens. Even though the camera body feels like plastic, it feels like nice high quality plastic and not some plastic rubbish which squeaks and gives in while holding. After just a few shots, the 30mm lens is impressively sharp even at f/2. Accurate focusing probably also helps. I may end up wishing for IBIS or OIS with this lens, but no major problem so far. One just needs to remember that (AFAIK), the auto-ISO only goes up to ISO 800 and if one wants to shoot faster, that may have to be done manually.

One strange thing about the camera firmware is that contrary to just about every other gadget I've upgraded, the upgrades aren't cumulative. My camera came with fw 1.05 and trying to upgrade straight to fw 1.31, I got the not supported error message. But after upgrading first to 1.15 and then to 1.31, everything went fine.

So far I'm pretty pleased with this new toy. I didn't expect it to replace my K-5, but to take the place as the carry everywhere compact camera that used to belong to my Canon S90. And I think it'll do just fine in that use even though I only have the "normal" prime lens and no zoom.

Last edited by Raffwal; 03-18-2012 at 10:10 AM.
11-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I couldn't get the nx10 and 30mm as a kit when I got mine or I would have. I seldom use the 18-55mm that came with mine. Actually not much different than the k20d and 31mm I had and nice to have for a backup.

11-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #72
Site Supporter

Nice photo, borno.
01-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #73
Veteran Member

I've now owned my NX10 for nearly 2 months and used it on and off and decided to post an update. I still feel about it pretty much the same as I posted above. However, there are some aspects that have caught my attention more.

The contrast detect AF is so beautifully accurate (even if somewhat slow). Even after the calibration, my K-5's AF is "somewhere near the object", while the contrast AF is almost always spot on. Like is the K-5 Live View too of course.

What I have found myself missing fairly often during the dark winter is image stabilization and good quality high ISO. With my K-5 I'm used to being able to use very high ISO with fairly good IQ. The NX sensor is more or less the same as K20D had and while it's nice in low ISO, I really really do not want to go above 1600 and even that is noisy. Also, some sort of image stabilization would be nice to have. I know many other NX lenses have it, but I only own the 30mm pancake.

The ergonomics of my NX is IMO very good. It fits pretty well even my size 8 paws and the menus are clear and intuitive. I actually think that there's quite a lot of the same spirit in the software of Pentax and Samsung.

I think combining the best aspects of NX10 and K-5 would really make an awesome camera. A funny thing I've noticed is that after using my NX, I can really appreciate the properties of my K-5 and after using my K-5, I can really appreciate my NX. I'm really interested to see where Samsung is heading with the NX line, probably announcing the NX20 in just days. I have so far invested very little in NX, but depending on what Samsung (and Pentax!) does in the future, I can go either way in my further investments.

Last edited by Raffwal; 01-07-2012 at 05:50 AM.