Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

I got a D50 today

It was only $150 with the kit lens, so I couldn't really resist it. Besides I've been wanting to try out a Nikon camera for a while, it's actually the only big brand that I haven't tried yet (well other than Sony, but I've never liked most of their cameras). I really like this camera, although it is a bit dated. It fits my hands very nicely, and I'm used to fairly smaller screens so the two inch screen doesn't quite bother me too much. The popup flash doesn't work as part of the reason it was so cheap, but I rarely use it anyways, so I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

There was one thing that I noticed though that I don't really like and I'm curious if all Nikon DSLRs are the same. When selecting an AF point, you can't have the camera select them for you, that is select more than one at once. It seems you can only use a single point of the 5 on the camera at any time other than probably auto mode. I don't get why Nikon would limit their cameras to do this.

04-10-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe because it was a low-end model? Just a guess since I am not familiar with it.
04-10-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Maybe because it was a low-end model? Just a guess since I am not familiar with it.
I suppose that might be it, but doesn't it seem odd that Nikon would strip their entry level camera of something like this when no other camera brand does?
04-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not really when you understand that people would buy Nikon (or Canon) anyway for whatever xxxx they pumped out of their production lines.

04-10-2010, 02:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Not really when you understand that people would buy Nikon (or Canon) anyway for whatever xxxx they pumped out of their production lines.
Well that may be true now, but when the D50 was introduced in 2005 I believe, it was the first Nikon, and Canon only had the Digital Rebel and the Digital Rebel XT out. I suppose the D70 left them with some things to cut (I'd be curious if the D70 can do what I am talking about though) but otherwise I don't see it as part of the current slight upgrading of models.
04-10-2010, 03:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Well that may be true now, but when the D50 was introduced in 2005 I believe, it was the first Nikon, and Canon only had the Digital Rebel and the Digital Rebel XT out. I suppose the D70 left them with some things to cut (I'd be curious if the D70 can do what I am talking about though) but otherwise I don't see it as part of the current slight upgrading of models.
I think they already had a good base with the D70 since it was their only affordable dslr and I believe had great success.
Canikon bias didn't start in the digital era
04-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My friend has a D50 and its not that bad. It takes good photos and has a good amount of features.

04-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's ok, there are a few things that I like about it and a few others that I really don't like at all.

For example, the 4 way controller controls the focus points while shooting, and many times I have accidentally pressed it and changed my focus point, resulting in problems focusing on what I wanted.

The shutter is probably the quietest and best sounding that I have ever used though.
04-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
edl
Veteran Member

Go to the CSM and setup AF however you want.

How to Use the Nikon D50
04-14-2010, 12:44 AM   #10
Banned

The shutter is probably the quietest and best sounding that I have ever used though.
until you use a K-7.
04-15-2010, 01:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess this should be renamed to the "I just sold my D50 thread".

Well, I sold the kit lens anyways. That thing was a piece of crap. Literally wide open you could only use the middle of the image, the rest of it was a blurred mess. I got more for it than I thought though, so I'm pretty happy. I don't know whether or not to keep the camera though, considering I have no idea what lens to get instead of that one.
04-15-2010, 06:03 AM   #12
Banned

I guess this should be renamed to the "I just sold my D50 thread".

Well, I sold the kit lens anyways. That thing was a piece of crap. Literally wide open you could only use the middle of the image, the rest of it was a blurred mess. I got more for it than I thought though, so I'm pretty happy. I don't know whether or not to keep the camera though, considering I have no idea what lens to get instead of that one.
you are about hopeless when it comes to choosing equipment. I honestly believe its not the photography (not to say that what you have shared isnt good) but the acquisition and trying of gear that you enjoy.
04-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
you are about hopeless when it comes to choosing equipment. I honestly believe its not the photography (not to say that what you have shared isnt good) but the acquisition and trying of gear that you enjoy.
I'm not really going to disagree with you, but I still do take photos, so it's not all that.

But really, I've had the same Canon Digital Rebel XTi since last October, and I really like it and every time I'm confronted with getting rid of it for any reason, I don't, and I just end up keeping it. So maybe that camera is a sign that I'm actually finding one that I like.
04-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
Banned

I'm not really going to disagree with you, but I still do take photos, so it's not all that.

But really, I've had the same Canon Digital Rebel XTi since last October, and I really like it and every time I'm confronted with getting rid of it for any reason, I don't, and I just end up keeping it. So maybe that camera is a sign that I'm actually finding one that I like.
I would never have guessed that anyone would take a liking to a rebel (at least anyone who has used other SLRs) if thats what you like though, thats what you like. they all take quality photos in the right hands.
04-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I still have the D50, decided not to sell it because I liked it so much. If I do keep it, which lens would be best to get for it under $150 other than the 18-55mm kit lens? I got that one with the camera and the sharpness on it was just terrible so I sold it.