Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Panasonic releases professional Micro 4/3 camcorder

This is pretty cool. I've been wondering when companies would start releasing true camcorders with an interchangeable lens system, and since this a micro 4/3 mount it should be compatible with quite a few lenses.

Panasonic announces Micro Four-Thirds camcorder: Digital Photography Review

04-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
emr

The press release calls this a game changer, and who knows, it just might be true. That camera will be able to record natively a number of different resolutions and frame rates using the relatively big sensor and there is a huge amount of glass to use on it.
04-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Just as importantly, this is built with video as the primary use and thus has features that video folks want and need, i.e., XLR audio inputs, peaking display, etc... Many video folks on the Intertubes are very excited about this camera...
04-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I understand it will cost $6000.00 U.S. which could be a gamestopper for many who would like to move in this direction.

04-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
I understand it will cost $6000.00 U.S. which could be a gamestopper for many who would like to move in this direction.
I believe their target customer isn't the average videocamera owner, who shoots birthday parties and soccer games, but indie film makers and advanced enthusiasts and for them that price (if that's what it's going to be) is not that excessive.
04-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
. . . It would definitely slow the game down a bit!
04-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I believe their target customer isn't the average videocamera owner, who shoots birthday parties and soccer games, but indie film makers and advanced enthusiasts and for them that price (if that's what it's going to be) is not that excessive.

Its excessive it one has to come up with the funds whether a business expense, out of pocket or via a grant! (Maybe I'll stick to the S-VHS stuff a while longer)

04-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have absolutely no idea about anything related to movie cameras, but how big is the sensor usually on them? I guessed that it was full frame size, but I have no idea actually.
04-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
The season finale of House was filmed entirely on a Canon 5D Mk II. I think it may be game over for dedicated video cameras.

House Season Finale Filmed Entirely with Canon 5D Mark II
04-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I have absolutely no idea about anything related to movie cameras, but how big is the sensor usually on them? I guessed that it was full frame size, but I have no idea actually.
This one has a micro-four thirds sensor . . . read the review.
04-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The season finale of House was filmed entirely on a Canon 5D Mk II. I think it may be game over for dedicated video cameras.

House Season Finale Filmed Entirely with Canon 5D Mark II

I guess it will ultimately come down to whether or not the dedicated video cameras can stay ahead of the pack.
04-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #12
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Well, not necessary. As video camera people have already commented on this camera, the multitude of different audio and other connectors and also the number of different frame rates and resolutions can make a difference. Also, while one can shoot video with a DSLR, the ergonomics are not planned for that kind of use.

But however this ends, I say that we're living very interesting times camera-wise. Every few months some manufacturer seems to bring some new evolutionary - if not revolutionary - camera type which changes the market.
04-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I know that, but I'm saying what size sensor do camcorders usually have?
04-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I know that, but I'm saying what size sensor do camcorders usually have?
What size do dSLR usually have?
04-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

What I'm talking about is the big professional movie style camcorders. What size sensor do they usually use? I wanted to know to know how much smaller the Micro Four Thirds version was from that and how it would affect editing and depth of field.