Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sony to launch MILC soon

As various posts at PhotoRumors point out, sony is going to release their own MILC (Mirrorless Interchangable Lens Camera) soon:

Sony promises their EVIL camera for the 2010 FIFA World Cup | Photo Rumors
Sony EVIL camera commercial | Photo Rumors
Sony to release their EVIL camera in the next few weeks | Photo Rumors
Sony EVIL camera specs | Photo Rumors

Photo

Rumored Specs
14mp APS-C CMOS
brand new Sony E mount
used SDHC or MS
RAW supported
3.0 LCD 920K color
11 AF point
ISO 200-12800
video recording (model NEX5: 1080 NEX3:720p) format Mp4 or AVCHD
built-in flash and AF Assistance light
new FW50 batteries
body: NEX5-D/K/A NEX3-D/K/A
lens: 18-55/F3.5-5.6 , 16mm/2.8

04-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sony's looks a litlte bit more promising than the new Samsung NX series (which is the ugliest camera that I think I have ever seen, I mean really that thing looks like it was just glued together with the various camera parts). Anyways, I'm fairly excited to see what Sony can do with this, because their concept cameras also look very nice, and if they have a good starting set of primes and zoom lenses, they might be able to take some of the market share away from Micro Four Thirds.
04-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Sony's looks a litlte bit more promising than the new Samsung NX series (which is the ugliest camera that I think I have ever seen, I mean really that thing looks like it was just glued together with the various camera parts). Anyways, I'm fairly excited to see what Sony can do with this, because their concept cameras also look very nice, and if they have a good starting set of primes and zoom lenses, they might be able to take some of the market share away from Micro Four Thirds.
that thing is ugly, and would be terrible to try and hold onto with that large lens pictured on the right attached. the lenses arent really much smaller, indeed the bodies arent much smaller than the smallest digital SLR bodies (K-x, K-7, e-420, etc). I just really do not get these MILC's. crappy P&S ergonomics with a large lens slapped onto the front?
04-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that thing is ugly, and would be terrible to try and hold onto with that large lens pictured on the right attached. the lenses arent really much smaller, indeed the bodies arent much smaller than the smallest digital SLR bodies (K-x, K-7, e-420, etc). I just really do not get these MILC's. crappy P&S ergonomics with a large lens slapped onto the front?
In most cases, I don't really get them either, like with the G1 (it's like a DSLR that just isn't a DSLR, that's about it though) and the Samsung NX, but I think that the Panasonic GF-1 and especially the Olympus E-P1 and E-P2 (not so much the E-PL1, it's too cheap and point and shooty, doesn't even have any mode dials on it anywhere) are what actually work with the mirrorless format. The rest of them are just kind of bad impersonations of what they want it to look like. I definitely don't like most of them.

04-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just noticed, the flash is placed rather in an odd position. It's right above the lensmount, I doubt it can still reach high enough. Plus, there's no hot shoe.
04-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I just noticed, the flash is placed rather in an odd position. It's right above the lensmount, I doubt it can still reach high enough. Plus, there's no hot shoe.
That's just the concept camera. For comparison, this is what the Olympus E-P1 concept camera looked like originally.

It's definitely not anything like the finished camera, and I really doubt that the Sony cameras will look anything like the concept ones.
04-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A new video:

New Sony EVIL video | Photo Rumors

04-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

That looks almost exactly like the first video that they showed with this camera, except with a few interesting new tidbits. That sure looked like a touchscreen to me, I'm not sure about anyone else, but Sony would be the one to do that. At the very end the little picture that is mostly shadowed worries me though, because this camera really looks like just a point and shoot with a DSLR mount slapped on the front of it.
04-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
emr

Here's one site also: Ultra-compact camera with interchangeable lenses : Sony
It doesn't tell much, but it's a Sony site and not an unofficial rumor-site.
04-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Here's one site also: Ultra-compact camera with interchangeable lenses : Sony
It doesn't tell much, but it's a Sony site and not an unofficial rumor-site.
While you're right, photorumors.com is quite reliable in my experience. They don't just post any rumor, and they always say when what they're posting is probably someone's dream of if it came from a reliable source. Most of it isn't even rumors, actually, but things that indicate upcoming releases (such as the commercial in this case).
04-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Too bad there's still no release date on there though, I really wish they would tell us when we can expect these things to be released instead of just checking DPreview one day and seeing their preview of the new camera. I heard April 18th as a rumored date, but that has come and passed, the other date that I heard was in May. Late May too. Oh well.
04-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Too bad there's still no release date on there though, I really wish they would tell us when we can expect these things to be released instead of just checking DPreview one day and seeing their preview of the new camera. I heard April 18th as a rumored date, but that has come and passed, the other date that I heard was in May. Late May too. Oh well.
Sony has promised it before the world cup. So we already know more than usual.
04-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Sony has promised it before the world cup. So we already know more than usual.
When is the world cup? Before the rumored end of May announcement? I had no idea that they promised it before then, but I definitely want to see it as soon as possible, and I really hope that it's not another disappointment at least for me like the Samsung NX series was because I just don't see that system going anywhere really.
04-20-2010, 01:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When is the world cup? Before the rumored end of May announcement? I had no idea that they promised it before then, but I definitely want to see it as soon as possible, and I really hope that it's not another disappointment at least for me like the Samsung NX series was because I just don't see that system going anywhere really.
The World Cup starts early june: FIFA.com - The Official Website of the FIFA World Cup?

About the NX. It doesn't right now look all too special. But Samsung has enough weight to throw around so who knows what'll happen. Schneider Kreuznach just a few days ago announced they are making about 6 primes for the NX system, and they all sounded very promising. Perhaps the next installment in the NX system will be a head-turning little camera and people start paying attention. Who knows.
04-20-2010, 01:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The World Cup starts early june: FIFA.com - The Official Website of the FIFA World Cup?
About the NX. It doesn't right now look all too special. But Samsung has enough weight to throw around so who knows what'll happen. Schneider Kreuznach just a few days ago announced they are making about 6 primes for the NX system, and they all sounded very promising. Perhaps the next installment in the NX system will be a head-turning little camera and people start paying attention. Who knows.
Given that the new camera doesn't look as ugly as this one (I suppose the same could be said about Panasonic too when they released the G1, a really ugly little camera, at least to me) and then the GF-1 which is a beautiful little camera with tons of great features put into it, that Samsung might be able to do the same thing. I wouldn't mind buying an NX camera as long as it looked good enough while at the same time letting me use everything that I want (and if they put a built in EVF in a rangefinder style camera, oh man this thing would sell more than all of the Micro Four Thirds cameras combined!) but as of right now there's just a single pretty ugly looking camera leading everything for them.