Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #406
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Sorry about your health, hope you'll recover completely. The Contax is a wonderful camera, perhaps the best ever mechanical camera, though it was being made obsolete by Leica advancements. It takes a bit of work to get used to, but using one I find very fun indeed.
What he said (on all counts)

Steve

02-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #407
Veteran Member

The thing I like about my rangefinder is that it's different.

Plain and simple.

The Pentax SLRs are wonderful cameras, so easy to use, such wonderful images.

But the rangefinder is great fun simply because it's so quirky and slow to use. Loading film by removing the camera back, and the spool. Check focus by a strange yellow picture that lines up with the scene, remember that the scene is slightly offset to the viewfinder. Take the image without the viewfinder blacking out.

If I'm honest, the rangefinder system is pretty shit, it's counterintuitive, extremely limited in it's use, and unnecessarily complicated. BUT, for those exact reasons it's fun.

Mine is a 1958 Zorki4
02-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #408
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
If I'm honest, the rangefinder system is pretty shit, it's counterintuitive, extremely limited in it's use, and unnecessarily complicated. BUT, for those exact reasons it's fun.

Mine is a 1958 Zorki4
It's not easy to generalize a rangefinder that bad. In medium format, a rangefinder has some strong points at the expense of others things which is not any different than other MF film camera offerings.

They say without a mirror, lenses have the potential to be really good. Rangefinders in medium format have much smaller lenses too, lighter bodies and quiet leaf shutter lenses. You can shoot a large majority of what any other MF camera can do. It's all about using one where it works best. So if you do a lot of telephoto and/or macro work, for example, a rangefinder is a poor choice. But for all the shooting that is like street photography, it is a fine choice.
02-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #409
Veteran Member

Perhaps I was too harsh, but to me it's just a much less flexible system.

The wonder of the SLR is that it can do almost anything, large zoom to shoot the moon, tiny macro to shoot a fly, attach to a microscope to shoot microbes, fisheye to shoot 180deg, etc.
It's a wonderfully flexible system.

To me, the rangefinder system offers no real benefits over an SLR, with a lot of detriment in flexibility.

(do note that I'm only talking 35mm here, I've never used medium format in any form)

02-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #410
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
The wonder of the SLR is that it can do almost anything, large zoom to shoot the moon, tiny macro to shoot a fly, attach to a microscope to shoot microbes, fisheye to shoot 180deg, etc.
It's a wonderfully flexible system.
And that is a good part of why rangefinder cameras fell from favor with enthusiasts, though it would be good to point out that the consumer 35mm camera market was dominated by rangefinder cams right up until the early 1980s. At that time they were eclipsed by high quality AF compact P&S and lower-end SLRs.

So why shoot with one? I for one really enjoy the experience. I tend to shoot differently and "see" differently with my FED or Zorki or Kiev or Canon P or Yashica Lynx or Olympus XA than I do with any of my SLRs. Framing is less precise, so I tend to not frame so carefully. Focus is more of a pain so I tend to pre-focus and/or shoot the hyperfocal. Exposure is fully manual using a handheld meter (except for the XA) so I tend to meter once and shoot until the light changes. The results are a world away from what I normally come home with. Some of my best shots from the last couple of years were made with one of the above cameras.

Steve

(...at the far end of the spectrum for usability is the view camera...and yes, I shoot and "see" differently with that one too! Would love to have a medium format rangefinder, but $$$)
02-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #411
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So why shoot with one? I for one really enjoy the experience. I tend to shoot differently and "see" differently with my FED or Zorki or Kiev or Canon P or Yashica Lynx or Olympus XA than I do with any of my SLRs. Framing is less precise, so I tend to not frame so carefully. Focus is more of a pain so I tend to pre-focus and/or shoot the hyperfocal. Exposure is fully manual using a handheld meter (except for the XA) so I tend to meter once and shoot until the light changes. The results are a world away from what I normally come home with. Some of my best shots from the last couple of years were made with one of the above cameras.

And that's exactly why I use mine as well.

Because it's so odd it helps me keep from falling into the same habits with my photos, it forces me to think differently.

It's the same reason I switch between my cameras, Zorki (w/Jupiter8 50mmF2), SP1000 (w/135mm F3.5 preset lens and damaged aperture), ME (K mount), *istDS (K mount)

Each one requires me to shoot a different way, they force me to learn to work around, or with, each camera's foibles.
02-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #412

Photos: Gallery
New to the thread - got into rangefinders only a short time ago and currently shooting an Argus C3 and a Canon QL17 GIII - man the Canon is quiet! Firing my 645n sounds like an earthquake compared to the QL...or maybe I just had a temporary loss of hearing after shooting the 645! Just finished my first roll through both camera and looking forward to seeing the results when I find the time to get into the dark room.

On another note, anyone have any experience with the Canon? I have a battery that works, and the camera fires properly when set to "A"/auto (which it will not do without the battery), yet the meter does not respond to light when set to manual mode...

Attached Images

Last edited by Bogie; 02-24-2013 at 06:14 AM.
02-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #413
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Advantage: Rangefinder

When your film SLR's viewfinder blacks out you can only hope that you got the shot...

Chris
02-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have that camera.

It is functioning properly. You must meter in auto then move to manual. PIA. However, nIce camera and lens.

Manual
http://www.cameramanuals.org/canon_pdf/canonet_g-iii_17.pdf
02-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #415
Pentaxian

Leica 11f and Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta B are my two rangefinders.
02-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just love the range finders. These Retinas are like dainty jewels. Although this one doesn't have a range finder on it, it is probably my favourite Retina (out of a dozen Retinas and Retinettes). It has a light meter uncoupled, and a large view finder which the older models lack. I have little trouble guessing distances, so a quick confirmation of sunny 16 on the light meter, and the softest click lets you know the picture has been taken. While the "C" models have the more expensive 5 element Zenon lenses, the Zenar looks every bit as good to me taking very sharp pictures.
Attached Images

02-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #417

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I have that camera.

It is functioning properly. You must meter in auto then move to manual. PIA. However, nIce camera and lens.

Manual
http://www.cameramanuals.org/canon_pdf/canonet_g-iii_17.pdf
Thanks for the info and the link, Lance!
08-11-2015, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #418
Veteran Member

I will use some black magic and bring back this thread from the abyss for some rangey love.

Some Contax IIa shots!

Helios-103 50mm F1.8
TMax 400 + D76 + TMax fixer + Epson v600

08-12-2015, 05:34 AM   #419
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I will use some black magic and bring back this thread from the abyss for some rangey love.

Some Contax IIa shots!

Helios-103 50mm F1.8
TMax 400 + D76 + TMax fixer + Epson v600

Those are good. Got to love the range/viewfinders, they have a very different feel and are so very quiet. I have heard that because they have the lens closer to the film (no mirror in the way), it improves image quality.