Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Ikon seems to keep popping up as a must have must use camera. I'd love to get my hands on one for a couple days. Of course I'd probably keep it...

Tony

02-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Had the Rd-1 and M8 with a bunch of Leica, CV and Canon glass. Sold them all ever since my daughter started running faster. Needed AF more. Also, needed the funds to send my kid to the best school
02-01-2011, 12:51 AM   #123
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
needed the funds to send my kid to the best school
Good job!
02-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #124
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
no internal metering
?????

The Bessa III 120 folder has an external sensor, but I believe that TTL metering is the standard for the Bessa 35mm RF line.

Steve

02-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
?????

The Bessa III 120 folder has an external sensor, but I believe that TTL metering is the standard for the Bessa 35mm RF line.

Steve
All Bessa R-series rangefinders are TTL-metered, and some are aperture-priority autoexposure. The R3A and R4A even have stepless shutter speeds in AE.
02-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The metering on earlier Bessa 35mm RF cameras was provided by a GAs metring cell clipped on the hot shoe. Also with wider lenses such as the 12mm f/5.6 and 15mm /4.5 the rear protrusion of these lenses can interfere with OTS* metering and therefore use of an external meter is recommended.

*off the shutter. My hexar RF and Leica M6,M7..etc cameras utilise a grey patch on the shutter curtain for metering, if a lens in any way blocks the optical path of metering cell (which is more common issue with extreme wide angle lenses) and prevents it from to seeing the light projected on to this patch, metering errors can and in all probability will occur.
02-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #127
Veteran Member

The metering on earlier Bessa 35mm RF cameras was provided by a GAs metring cell clipped on the hot shoe. Also with wider lenses such as the 12mm f/5.6 and 15mm /4.5 the rear protrusion of these lenses can interfere with OTS* metering and therefore use of an external meter is recommended.

*off the shutter. My hexar RF and Leica M6,M7..etc cameras utilise a grey patch on the shutter curtain for metering, if a lens in any way blocks the optical path of metering cell (which is more common issue with extreme wide angle lenses) and prevents it from to seeing the light projected on to this patch, metering errors can and in all probability will occur.
The only alternative I know of to OTS metering, even in the recent M8, 8.2 and M9, is the system used in the M5 and Leica CL, which has the metering cell on a moving arm, that goes in front of the shutter and pulls away before the shot is taken. I don't like that approach for several reasons.

1. The arm's travel time contributes to shutter lag.

2. The arm is prone to mechanical failure.

3. The meter cell can be damaged by portruding collapsible lenses and/or superwides.

02-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #128
Pentaxian

I have had a 1952 Leica 11f Rangefinder since 1982. It's almost 60 years old and I've had it for almost 30 years. I have the collapsible, 50mm Elmar F 3.5 lens.

It's built like a tank and I use a hand held Sekonic light meter to set F stop and shutter speed.

The pictures are very sharp....in some ways I've been always amazed at how well this old 35 RF takes pictures.

Quiet....hardly any sound from the shutter and the rangefinder focus mechanism is still the best I've used, or own...when it comes to accurate, fast focusing in dim light.

I was never surprised that Leica Rangefinders were / are used by seasoned photo journalists.

Robustly built, dead reliable, precise, accurate.....mine has never required any service since I've owned it (30 years..almost)....

Did I mention I love this iconic camera ?
02-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The metering on earlier Bessa 35mm RF cameras was provided by a GAs metring cell clipped on the hot shoe.
To clarify, all of the modern (Cosina) Voigtlander Bessa 35mm rangefinder cameras starting with the Bessa R have built-in TTL metering.
There is a CV "clip-on" shoe-mount exposure meter for use with other non-metered cameras (any brand).

Chris
02-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #130

Zeiss Ikon Contax

I have just recently inherited a Contax rangefinder with a Zeiss Opton Sonnar 50mm lens. I don't know anything about the Contax - actually I had never heard of it until we found it in a dresser after my stepdad died. I am new to the camera world so I don't really know anything about this.
02-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sherryl Quote
I have just recently inherited a Contax rangefinder with a Zeiss Opton Sonnar 50mm lens. I don't know anything about the Contax - actually I had never heard of it until we found it in a dresser after my stepdad died. I am new to the camera world so I don't really know anything about this.
Look here: Cameraquest - Contax page

Chris
02-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #132
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sherryl Quote
Pure JUNK!

You can send it to me and I will find a way to dispose of it!

Now to be more serious...

There are new Contax rangefinders (G1 and G2) that are electronic cameras with auto-focus, batteries and things that flash and go beep.

There are also classic Contax rangefinders similar to those in the cameraquest link above. Those are mechanically complex and prone to shutter failure but are wonderful in many other ways. I have the very similar Kiev 4 (made in the former Soviet state of Ukraine) and really enjoy the camera.

Either way, you can send the camera and whatever lenses you have to me. I will put them to good use.

Steve
02-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #133
Pentaxian

I wonder why people would want a modern rangefinder...when they can have the real thing, the one with history...an older Leica Rangefinder.
02-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I wonder why people would want a modern rangefinder...when they can have the real thing, the one with history...an older Leica Rangefinder.
I am an M2 owner, and though I dearly love my M2, there are some things the newer ones bring that I like:

A Lightmeter.

Aperture Priority AE

Stepless AE shutter

Wider/Bigger/Brighter/Multicoated finders (The R3a is a 1:1 finder, no Leica has that. No Leica has the 21/25/28/35/50 framelines of the Bessa R4a. No Leica has the multicoated finder of the Zeiss Ikon.)

Film doors and loading mechanisms that aren't really screwy

and perhaps the best reason not to get an old Leica:

Price. You can pick up these new bodies for much less than the equivalent new (or even used) genuine Leica bodies. You can use that cost difference to be able to afford a genuine Leica lens set instead.
02-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I am an M2 owner, and though I dearly love my M2, there are some things the newer ones bring that I like:

A Lightmeter.

Aperture Priority AE

Stepless AE shutter

Wider/Bigger/Brighter/Multicoated finders (The R3a is a 1:1 finder, no Leica has that. No Leica has the 21/25/28/35/50 framelines of the Bessa R4a. No Leica has the multicoated finder of the Zeiss Ikon.)

Film doors and loading mechanisms that aren't really screwy

and perhaps the best reason not to get an old Leica:

Price. You can pick up these new bodies for much less than the equivalent new (or even used) genuine Leica bodies. You can use that cost difference to be able to afford a genuine Leica lens set instead.
I don't use my Leica as my main camera. Being an old time shooter, I started off with hand held light meters, gray cards, etc.

I will admit that my K10D, KM and Canon G12 are wonderful with their auto everything...but I sometimes really enjoy getting back to the photo basics.

Film loading...I'm handy with scissors and I don't mind loading film through the bottom...probably through many years of practice.

As mentioned before I also love the tactile feel of my old 11f...which I doubt if I would get with a more modern RF.

Yes...newer non Leica is cheaper, but in the end, if anything in photography is an investment than it is a Leica.