Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any love for rangefinders?

I know Pentax hasn't made any rangefinders, and I'm not here to ramble on about how great an RF is for street photography, but some seriously nice rangefinders with some seriously nice glass have been made. I'm not fortunate enough to have anything with interchangeable lenses, but I've got a very nice Kuribayashi Petri Color Corrected, and it does take nice pictures, and, compared to an SLR, is lighter and a little easier to carry around for extended periods.
So, anyone else have/enjoy a good rangefinder?

04-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There was an earlier thread on this. I refurbed a Konica Auto S2 I got off of eBay. Don't use it much, unfortunately. It's pretty heavy, and my K-7 is light enough to be in my bag all the time.

Having said that, I'd probably love having an Epson or Leica RF, but would need to test that setup first before plunking down cash...
04-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have three rangefinders:
  • Olympus XA
  • Yashica Lynx 1000
  • Yashica Lynx 5000
Each is fun in its own way and each is capable of nice images. Here are the two Lynx:

Steve
04-26-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm still looking for a digital replacement for my Nikon S2 from the 1950's.

If such a thing was made I'd buy it.

I'd never go back to film though.

04-26-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I'm still looking for a digital replacement for my Nikon S2 from the 1950's.

If such a thing was made I'd buy it.

I'd never go back to film though.
I know it doesn't fit the traditional definition of a rangefinder but I've checked out the new Oly Pen cameras (E-P series or something like that) and they sure seem similar to the Nikon SP I've looked over. And it's tempting to go the adaptor route and shoot with a Leica lens - the down side being the crop factor.
04-26-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm looking to save up for a Leica M4-P or an M6 over the next year, though I could be temped by a Zeis Ikon.
04-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #7

I use my Yashica electro 35 GS a lot, it's my favorite 35mm camera actually. I love the lens and it's excellent light meter. I own a lynx 14E as well, with a huge 1.4 lens on it, but unfortunatly it's light meter doens't work anymore and makes it more of a hassle to take pictures - and when I want to take my time to take pictures I use my RZ67...

I can really recommend the GS, or any variant of it (GS, GSN). They're dirt cheap! Just make sure the viewfinder's clear, and the "pad of death" is ok, or prepare to fix it.. It has some drawbacks (you never know what shutterspeed is selected) but that's not a showstopper in my case.

04-30-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I had an old Russian Lomo LCA for years until that got stuck somehow() two weeks ago. No chance of fixing it so I wanted a new rangefinder. Those are fun to use and perfect for those long summer days in the park.

Yesterday I managed to find a Yashica Electro 35 GSN in almost mint condition. It's a rangefinder with a 45mm 1.7 lens. Sweet! Had to buy it immediately. I even managed to make an adaptor myself to use easy-to-find batteries in it.

I'm used to carry around a camera or two with me and give them quite a bit of abuse, but the Yashica is almost too beautiful to mess with! I mean, though it's quite sturdy and really heavy (like all older cameras), it seems somehow fragile. I'd be more comfortable being a bit drunk and fool around with a D3s than that Yashica.

Rangefinders <3
04-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sealisthenewbeaver Quote

Yesterday I managed to find a Yashica Electro 35 GSN in almost mint condition. It's a rangefinder with a 45mm 1.7 lens. Sweet! Had to buy it immediately. I even managed to make an adaptor myself to use easy-to-find batteries in it...
Yashica Guy has an inexpensive battery adapter that will supply the correct voltage for your camera:
Yashica Battery Adapter

Steve
04-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #10

Voigtlander Bessa T, R2, and a Bronica 645RF. I love them all dearly, especially the Bronica (which I bought after Bronica went belly up and the stock was sold off), but just don't shoot much film these days...
04-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have a Canonet QL III 1.7 that is a great little camera. I've also had (and loved) the Konica Auto S2 and the Auto S3, which are both great cameras too. The S2 died by drowning in the saltchuck and I eventually sold the S3 (they go for ridiculous prices on eB@y) because the same Hexanon 40/1.8 can be had for cheap for the Konica SLRs. Now there is a lens that has no equal in Pentax-land. That lens is reason enough for me to keep a Konica body loaded with Neopan...
04-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot Leica M3,M6 TTL, M7 and Zeiss IKON and a few Konica Hexar RF(RIP konica) the Hexar is undisputedly my favourite RF camera apart from some lens incompatibilities, It is a superb RF camera the full equal and in some ways superior to the M7. The Ikon is also and excellent camera it has a baselength that is much longer than either the Hexar or the leica, which makes is very accurate.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-29-2011 at 05:09 AM.
05-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

These old rangefinders sure are beautiful, aren't they? I just love the look of them...
05-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The Hexar RF isn't very old, they came out in 1999.

I'm a Leica guy myself, but own and have owned some others. The Minolta Hi-Matic rangefinders are excellent value for the money I think, for someone who wants to get their feet wet.
05-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes the leica RF cameras are superb in construction quality...I have been scrounging around the market for a Leica IIIa -the precursor to the M3