Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What are your plan regarding switching to / adding another system to your gear?
My Pentax gear suits me fine as it is. 11755.98%
I needed something else and already made a switch / added another system. 2511.96%
Going to dump all my gear and buy into another system, if Pentax doesnt come up with what I need. 209.57%
Going to add another system at a cost of selling a part of my current gear. 104.78%
Cant say for sure now. Time will tell. 3717.70%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2010, 03:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

If I really need a larger sensor, I will step over to the 645, but the APS-C is indeed good.
I am waiting for the K7 upgrade later this year, then we shall see...

05-08-2010, 04:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by captmacq Quote
Should of left off the part about selling part to add another system imo

I love my 20D but it doesn’t have the high ISO I need. Is it going to cost me yes. Is there a Pentax option no. Will I get ride of my gear no. Will I add to it, not until I have the other gear.

Am I telling Pentax what to do NO I’m letting them know what I want and need. Pentax should say whether or not they’re going to fulfill that need
The Kx seems the obvious additional camera for high ISO shooting, unless you something like 125,000 ISO.

Ben

Last edited by Ben_Edict; 05-08-2010 at 05:38 AM.
05-08-2010, 04:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Staying with Pentax for me doesn't depend on whether of when they come out with a FF camera or not. I'm pretty sure they'll offer one in the future and it will be early enough for me.

The real question for me is whether Pentax continues to offer great products at affordable prices. I didn't like the price hike for Pentax lenses and if this trend continues then there are other brands which have attractive products.

Currently I'm still happy with Pentax and am confident they'll be able to continue to be a great choice for photography enthusiasts.
05-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no plans to switch to a FF camera. I don't have a camera store anywhere nearby where I can check one out but I have seen the Nikon D700 when I was shooting some skiing competition last winter. It's an impressive camera but far bigger and heavier than I want to carry around. To be honest, I would be more inclined to consider something in the micro 4/3 format.

05-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by captmacq Quote
Should of left off the part about selling part to add another system imo

I love my 20D but it doesn’t have the high ISO I need. Is it going to cost me yes. Is there a Pentax option no. Will I get ride of my gear no. Will I add to it, not until I have the other gear.

Am I telling Pentax what to do NO I’m letting them know what I want and need. Pentax should say whether or not they’re going to fulfill that need
Not implying that you feel this way captmacq...just a general comment on ISO. A few years ago sensors were ranked on MP.....until people started to realize it is possible to manufacture a sensor with a large number of pixels that produces poor pictures.

I think high ISO is something we all want, but high ISO is today's "MP". People seem to be eager to jump on the high ISO band wagon without checking into other sensor qualities. I would consider dynamic range to be more important than high ISO.
05-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #21
Veteran Member

My current body (K10D) suits my needs, but I think its rather poor (in light of the newer offerings) high ISO performance will have me buying something better sooner or later. But granted it'll be a Pentax camera, perhaps the next generation of bodies will suit my needs perfectly, and I'll never wish for another camera : )
05-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I don't need or want a FF body but if the next Pentax does not have upgraded AF then I will sell most of my kit and buy a 7D

05-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Not implying that you feel this way captmacq...just a general comment on ISO. A few years ago sensors were ranked on MP.....until people started to realize it is possible to manufacture a sensor with a large number of pixels that produces poor pictures.

I think high ISO is something we all want, but high ISO is today's "MP". People seem to be eager to jump on the high ISO band wagon without checking into other sensor qualities. I would consider dynamic range to be more important than high ISO.
dynamic range is fine but im constatly running into areas that the only soluthion is flash or high iso. As i said before, will it cost me to get that performance YES will i pay to get that performance YES will it be a pentax product, Not unless they come out with somthing new soon. My bigest complaint is we have no idea what pentax (or any othere Maker) is working on. But we do know who curently has thoughs items and have made a comitment to it. All of them are to worried about one uping the other guy than letting there concumers know what there planing.
05-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #24

I have no interest in switching to another brand, since I don't care for the ergonomics of any of Pentax's competitors. None of the short-comings of a K-7 or for that matter a K-10 or an istDS are of much siginificance to me. As for FF, if Nikon had a FF camera that I could justify the cost of I might consider one - but only because I have film era Nikon equipment and would like to be able to use the lenses that I have on a DSLR, though I doubt if I would much like carrying around something the size of a D700....

BryantCP
Indianapolis, IN USA
05-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As mentioned, any significant upgrades from what Pentax offers now would only really include speedier AF in the D300 and 7D, and full-frame capabilities in the D700 and 5D.

I cannot justify the lust I may have in either of these aspects with the cost of those cameras above, and indeed the AF limitations on my K20D are quite tolerable in my line of photography. I would even more impressed with the K-7, so I'm far from switching systems.
05-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

APS-C works just fine for me. As others have noted, if I really need more image quality, then I'd go Medium Format and not full frame.
05-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I don't need or want a FF body but if the next Pentax does not have upgraded AF then I will sell most of my kit and buy a 7D
Compared to your K10D, the K-7 already represents a considerable AF upgrade. The only area where it still lags behind a Nikon D300 a bit is continues focus tracking.

Also, the 7D has fantastic AF performance but in terms of IQ the 7D has received quite some criticism. There seems to be a technical explanation for this that has to do how the sensor has to balance out alternate rows of pixels.
05-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Compared to your K10D, the K-7 already represents a considerable AF upgrade. The only area where it still lags behind a Nikon D300 a bit is continues focus tracking.
I love my K-7, but saying that it lags "a bit" in that area is pretty generous.
05-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I love my K-7, but saying that it lags "a bit" in that area is pretty generous.
Our own falconeye has performed a test of the K-7 continuous AF and there isn't such a huge difference.

In other circumstances, e.g., children running in random patterns around you, the difference might be larger. I'm not trying to claim that the difference have become marginal, but I believe it isn't the night and day difference it used to be anymore.
05-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I love my old pentax primes to much to completely switch, but I do plan on adding canon for macro work exclusively and Pentax for everything else.

Damn you pentax! I hate canon bodies, so PLEASE come out with an MPE-65 and mt-24ex equivalent so I don't have to buy one!