Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #1

Dirty pentaprism...

So I have a Zenit TTL that an ebay seller listed as "Mint". It is missing 2 screws on the bottom plate (which is also scratched up pretty bad) and the pentaprism is very dirty. It is casting a brown line down the center of the view finder. The seller offered me some money back but it isn't nearly enough to justify the false advertising. I dont want to have to ship the camera back to Latvia and the Helios 44k-4 is in great shape.

So my question is, is there a way to clean the pentaprism?

09-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's just glass, so yes, you can likely clean it just like a lens
09-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'll crack it open and check it out. I guess it's not a total loss, I'm actually very curious to see the guts of a camera.
09-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Mint" is Latvian for "Been kicked around". Sorry about the condition of the body, but glad the lens is in good shape. We will be looking forward to seeing some shots with the 44K-4!

Steve

P.S. I thought the body was supposed to be a Zenit 122K. Did they pull a "bait and switch" on you?

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-13-2010 at 09:37 PM.
09-14-2010, 12:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
Nah, the TTL was a gift for my girlfriend, actually. So it made it worse when it didn't come as described. I've been exchanging messages with the seller. I gave him two options. Either give me a partial but substantial refund (I want to keep the lens) or I'll send everything back without having to pay for shipping. Otherwise I'm going to file a claim with eBay, Paypal or whoever else I can get involved. My girlfriend was pretty disappointed.

The 122K came in today and it is in GREAT condition. Came with the cap for the 44K, a small bag and a strap. Same seller as the TTL, surprisingly. Although, that is the last Zenit I will buy. After handling a few Pentax bodies the Zenit feels like a toy. Looks cool and is pretty unique (at least in photo class) but the loose fitting plastic body, crappy meter and the view finder (oh my god the view finder is a joke) just doesn't inspire me.

Only Russian LENSES from now on.