Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2010, 02:11 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Hopefully my cash flow will be good when the Mark III comes out!

It's just such a joy looking through the viewfinder of a 35mm camera.

Larger than 35mm would be much more fun i suppose, and I would not need AF with it! Although $10k+ is ridiculous unless i'm making money out of it. I'd rather buy a used car for that price.

11-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RolloR Quote
Hopefully my cash flow will be good when the Mark III comes out!

It's just such a joy looking through the viewfinder of a 35mm camera.

Larger than 35mm would be much more fun i suppose, and I would not need AF with it! Although $10k+ is ridiculous unless i'm making money out of it. I'd rather buy a used car for that price.
And I'd rather buy a used violin. A cheap one. :-p
12-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #18
Inactive Account

$10k is ridiculous even if you are making money with it...

I'd never buy a Ferrari if I didn't live anywhere near where I could drive it like it should be driven, but that doesn't mean that I can't choose a VW Passat over a Hyundai Accent.

c[_]
12-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #19
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What's hilarious is when I see magazine cover shoots that were done with a Hasselblad, yet with the cover size, it could have been taken with a K-x and still looked the same!. Then there's the shoddy printing I've seen in mags, which totally negates the cost of an immensely expensive MF system.

To me, the only people who should buy medium format systems are the ones who sell gigantic prints for gigantic prices. Otherwise, there isn't a job or assignment on the planet that couldn't be fulfilled with a $2000 camera vs a $10,000 camera.

12-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
$10k is ridiculous even if you are making money with it...

c[_]
As a business decision, I always think it's a good rule of thumb that if you can make more than your investment in equipment than it's not a bad investment, especially if you can recoup your expenses before the camera loses too much of its initial value. This is why Aps-C is the best cost to performance ratio for most people who only get photographic work infrequently. If you get regular photographic work every week, then full frame is more reasonable. If you regularly shoot for nature magazines or art exhibits and have great insurance, then medium format may be for you.

On the other hand, if you're a well heeled hobbyist, do whatever the hell you feel like.
12-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I agree.

c[_]
12-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I bought a 5D Mk II in August, and recently the K-5 (crazy, I know.)

There certainly are plusses to the Canon. Though it pains me to say it, the 5D fits better in my hand, and the quality of high ISO / low light pictures has a edge (though not a big one) over the K-5.

But: apart from wide angle/tilt-shift (which is why I got FF), I tend to reach for the K-5 more. It's a better travel and everyday camera, and Pentax lenses are generally a much better value than their Canon counterparts. One example: my DA55 comfortably holds its own versus my Canon 85/1.8; I'd say the DA55 is superior as a portrait lens, while being much cheaper than the 85/1.2.

The K-5 is just a more refined, better sorted camera. My Canon's body flexes a bit gripping it, and the shutter clunk is comical. Canon's ergonomics leave a bit to be desired, though I do like the control wheel on the back.

In the end my conclusion is that each camera is in a pretty different position, and I'm not sure one camera "style" could really cover both niches. There's no doubt that Pentax is the better value, and its lenses really are terrific. But I do also like the Canon's "fit," viewfinder and controls. Ideally, Pentax lenses on that Canon body, or some of those T/S lenses on Pentax ... well, can't have it all.

12-04-2010, 06:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I was just wondering: what's with this "Dark Side"?
I suppose it's a reference to Canon (with the white lenses )
I don't get it.
12-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Over here in SA, the term "going over to the Dark Side" is for a Canon user moving over to Nikon
12-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #25
Inactive Account

In Pentaxland it means that you are going with another system.

c[_]
12-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

In Pentaxland it means that you are going with another system.

c[_]
For Pentax users I've mostly seen that rhetoric being used for people switching to the big two, and sometimes Sony. I think switching to Panasonic, Olympus or especially Leica is still considered the light side of the Force
12-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
For Pentax users I've mostly seen that rhetoric being used for people switching to the big two, and sometimes Sony. I think switching to Panasonic, Olympus or especially Leica is still considered the light side of the Force
That may very well be, but for all intents and purposes 0.0001 % of the conversations at this site are about people switching from Pentax to Panny/Oly/Leica - so pardon me for "lumping" them in with the big three.

c[_]
12-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

That may very well be, but for all intents and purposes 0.0001 % of the conversations at this site are about people switching from Pentax to Panny/Oly/Leica - so pardon me for "lumping" them in with the big three.

c[_]
I think you've arrived at exactly the reason Sony, Nikon and Canon make up Pentax's Axis of Evil. The other brands aren't exactly threats to blot out Pentax even if they are competitive.

And I think I wasn't quite honest earlier. I don't think I've ever once seen an actual "I'm switching to Olympus" thread. I've seen threads about being happy with Olympus, or trying the new Micro 4/3 cameras, but never seen "I'm selling all my full frame system. It's Zuiko or bust!" Kind of sad, really.
12-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Got it.
Pentax = Skywalker & Jedi
All other systems = Empire

12-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Personally, all of my impressions indicate that the 5D mkII is a perfectly good camera. Jumping on it won't do much good. Some initial satisfaction, sure, I can understand that--but, please, instead of ruining the thing you'd be better off selling it and buying some equipment you'd be happier with.

That said, if you do jump on it and don't ruin it, that'd be an interesting durability anecdote. So you may want to make a video of the jumping and put that up to youtube.

Seriously, now: buy the equipment that suits your needs best, Pentax or otherwise. I'm a fan of this brand because they make things that suit my desires better than anyone else--which is weird, because other brands have pretty much the entire market locked up, except for the gaps Pentax fills. Those gaps hit my desires perfectly. Why doesn't Canon or Nikon fill them? Because they're afraid of cannibalizing their upmarket items. If anyone else came out with a solid competitor for the Pentax lineup, I wouldn't feel guilty about looking and possibly buying them. Until then, I'm a Pentaxian...and until then, I'm buying more and more into the Pentax system, which makes me less likely to switch.