Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
Banned

G3, smallest and lightest digital interchangeable lens camera with a viewfinder

The LUMIX G3 provides a dedicated video button that can be used to switch to video capture quickly without changing modes. Like most traditional DSLRs, the LUMIX G3 provides a built-in flash and hotshoe for connecting optional LUMIX flashes. For many, a traditional eyelevel viewfinder is still a must have, so the LUMIX G3 meets this demand with an eye-level electronic viewfinder that projects a high resolution 1.44m-dot image with 100% field of view (800×600, 0.7x magnification).

To enhance operability and ensure it’s user-friendly, the LUMIX G3 features touch-control shooting, which lets photographers focus on the subject by simply touching it on the large, 3-inch high-resolution LCD touch screen. Once locked on the subject by a touch, the LUMIX G3 tracks the subject, even if it moves, with Auto Focus (AF) tracking. In addition to its 23 Area Auto Focusing Points, the LUMIX G3 features new Pinpoint AF. Pinpoint AF allows extremely precise near–pixel-level focus point setting at the touch of a finger. For example, unlike DSLRs that limit the number of fixed hardware focus points, Panasonic’s Pinpoint AF can be set by touch control to very fine points anywhere on the LCD. With a new Precision Contrast LightSpeed AF system, the LUMIX G3 is extremely fast, measuring approximately 0.1 second (14-140mm ~0.1 sec. 14-42mm ~0.18 sec., 45-200mm ~0.15 sec.). The LightSpeed AF feature is achieved by reducing the detection time for focusing by doubling the Live MOS Sensor drives

The Intelligent LCD has a bright 1,440,000-dot equivalent resolution and rotates 180° to the side and tilts 270° up and down offering approximately 100% of field of view, making it easy to operate and shoot at different angles. In addition, the touch-enabled-screen operation excels not only for shooting but also for playing back images with outstanding visibility. Users can scroll through hundreds of images on the screen, simply by thumbing through the thumbnails. Or, to play back images one-by-one, the user drags the image across the screen as though flipping a page in a book.

The LUMIX G3’s newly developed 16.0-megapixel Live MOS sensor, combined with the powerful Venus Engine FHD image processor, contribute to the high-quality photo and video images. The processor also provides selective noise reduction to create a more naturally-balanced curve without deterioration of the image. In the LUMIX G3, noise is significantly suppressed by more than 66%. Notably in shooting at high ISO settings, S/N value is improved by approximately 200% compared with the conventional 12.1-megapixel sensor. The sensor performance improves by 6db at ISO 3200 and max. 9db at ISO 6400.

The LUMIX G3 offers rapid burst shooting control at various rates and resolutions. Image capture at full-resolution (16-megapixel) is possible at up to 4 frames per second with its mechanical shutter enabled, or an even faster 20 frames per second using the electronic shutter feature at a reduced resolution of 4 megapixels.

Panasonic LUMIX G3

Amazon.com: Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G3 16 MP Micro Four-Thirds Interchangeable Lens Camera with 3-Inch Free-Angle Touch-Screen LCD and 14-42mm Lumix G VARIO f/3.5-5.6 Lens: Camera & Photo

Panasonic's Lumix DMC-G3 is a step in the right direction | Crave - CNET

http://www.photographyblog.com/articles/panasonic_g3_question_and_answer/

Last edited by jogiba; 05-13-2011 at 06:47 AM.
05-13-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
looks like CDAF has finally caught up to Phase detection - though when this camera hits the shelves we will see if it lives up to their claims.
05-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
looks like CDAF has finally caught up to Phase detection - though when this camera hits the shelves we will see if it lives up to their claims.
If they can keep them on the shelves. I pre-ordered one. At $599 it's an incredible bargain.

Here's a good review:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Review - Conclusion | PhotographyBLOG
05-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #4

Looks real good, if you can live with software correction of its lenses, which all suffer for massive distortion and purple fringing. I went for the NEX for that reason (and for its sensor). I hope Sony will get the memo: THAT is what the NEX-7 should look like.

05-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I heard Sony is going to put the same sensor from the D7000 and K-5 into the next NEX. Personally I like the NEX the way it is and don't need a VF. My NEX-5 is my street camera and it is unparalleled at that.
05-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
another review:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Compact System Camera - Review - The Imaging Resource!
05-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #7

I understand your point, and I agree that Sony has to continue making a small version (the new one, the NEX-C3 will be even smaller in fact). However, the NEX is my only camera, and so there are times I wish it did have an integrated viewfinder.

The Panasonic G3 looks like the balance between size and function that I would prefer, and I hope Sony's rumored professional NEX will look like it.

05-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Did a little reading on it, sounds pretty impressive. Lack of external microphone jack is a deal breaker though. Why take that feature away from a previous model?
05-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
people are going ballistic on the forums that shall-not-be-named:

here' is my favourite hyperbolic post about the "G3 heralding the end of APS-C"

"The G3 seems to herald a new day for OOC jpegs, they look like raw files, this is nothing less than a new dawn, imagine what the advantage of that is, size, speed, detail etc etc. The Oly image looks as if its been through a skin touch up programme, its that smooth the detail is gone and its only iso800, same for all aps-c cams too. The G3 are seriously impressive, you dont realise at first just how good, look at the bank notes etc, the 1d mk4 is struggling too against the Panny."

pitting that tiny sensor against a Canon 1 series camera...that sounds like a fair fight.With the stated improvements that Panasonic has made to the sensor in the current set of JPG images I have seen, they have done something to the sensor that is producing some strange effects it looks as if they are using a luminance pixel instead of the standard bayer pattern doubled green pixel.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-14-2011 at 10:51 PM.
05-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
Did a little reading on it, sounds pretty impressive. Lack of external microphone jack is a deal breaker though. Why take that feature away from a previous model?
I think most people would use the GH2 instead for serious HD video with external mic.
05-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow the AF performance of the G3 really helps show the advantages of mirrorless technology!
I can't wait for other manufacturers to jump onboard to deliver the goods too!

Anyone notice how fast it focuses and tracked that passerby subject?
Makes me sick just thinking about it.
05-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I think most people would use the GH2 instead for serious HD video with external mic.
I think that clearly separating the GH and G lines is Panasonic's stratergy with the G3. Really, if you're keen enough on video to be using an external mike, then you're going to want the GH2. I wander what percentage of G2 users ever touched the mike socket?

I don't see this as a clear replacement for the G2. I think that Panasonic has realised that their market placement of the G2 was off and have re-assessed with the G3. This may annoy some G2 owners hoping to upgrade, but for the majority of intended buyers I think Pana has very much got it right.

With the GH2 and now G3 showing that Panasonic has well and truly overcome the "CDAF is slow" issue, and the G3 showing that they've finally figured out an effective jpeg engine, I'm seeing a bright future for the G-series
05-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
Long review here:
Panasonic Lumix G3 review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Digital SLRs

Last edited by jogiba; 05-15-2011 at 11:03 AM.
05-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like they're getting somewhere, anyway, but Godssakes, someone take that chrome and black chrome away from their otherwise-fine designers. Black it out, put a nice texture or three on it, boys, you're good that way. Shiny bits, not so much.
05-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Actually, the inability to monitor the GH2 audio - whether from an internal or external mic - makes the entire GH2 audio system little more than a backup for me. More often than not I record the audio separately and merge in post. And whenever I do have to rely on it, I cross my fingers...

In any case, it's interesting to see the interest. Panasonic has publicly stated that GF-soapbar style cameras are the bulk of their market and focus. Maybe the G3 will make them rethink that...