Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New APSC/FF sensor news beginning to take shape...

Well folks this is it!

Every year, we see the same pattern emerge and so I figured that I'd grab the bull by the horn this round and gather-up some intel.
And this years rumors are centered around Sony's new sensors. Namely the 24MP variant which was slated to make an early(but hard to believe) appearance in June. But reality took hold and the date was pushed back to a more modest August, which likely let many people get to back into their chairs. - Because I think the notion of delivering two generations of APS-C sensors within any FF products might have really put some manufacturers on edge.

Anyways, you can always tell how real release date rumors are by the activities surrounding the outsourcing manufacturers.
And so here's what I've gathered so far;

Sony 24MP A77 - August
Nikon 18MP D4 - August
Nikon 24MP D400 August

In other exciting news, Fuji recently announced that they will be "re-entering" the DSLR fray. Well... technically, not the DSLR but more appropriately, the interchangeable lens camera market. Which I find exciting considering Fuji's commitment to image quality standards shown with their late DSLR solutions(see: S5 Pro). - Anyways, to spice things up, Fuji stated that they plan on making their comeback with in house technology. - Guess we can conclude, mirorless technology is the next hot item up for development.

And so all we need now is for Ricoh to bust-out the official announcement with great plans for their new Pentax bride!
However, I really hope they'll maintain the DSLR developments that will lead-up to the pinnacle of the Pentax DSLR legacy: The Pentax K-1

Of course, they'd have to go through the K-3 to get there.
But that's okay too.
Because we could all use an 8FPS 24MP APS-C to add to our arsenals next year.

Last edited by JohnBee; 07-05-2011 at 07:10 PM.
07-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Because we could all use an 8FPS 24MP APS-C to add to our arsenals next year

And new 2TB hard drives to store all those photographs. I'm very eager for the new D4 - or whatever they are going to call it. I think the new D4 will most likely beat the K5 at the dynamic range game.
07-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
And new 2TB hard drives to store all those photographs. I'm very eager for the new D4 - or whatever they are going to call it. I think the new D4 will most likely beat the K5 at the dynamic range game.
No kidding(on the HD quote).
I can't believe how quickly my HD space was consumed since the admission of the K-5 in our kits. The added file weight and shutter speeds really do make a difference. And I was just recently thinking how I would negotiate this on the long term because my pathetic 3TB workstation isn't cutting it anymore.

My estimate is that a 2 x 2TB on a mirrored bus(x 2) should do the trick. But my guess is that it won't last long once the 24MP units kick in

But lately, I've noticed the 3TB units coming down in price too and then I was thinking... well hey... who couldn't use another 2TB of data in the chain right?
So maybe that's the answer. Though I will admit, these whole 40MB RAW/Files are really going to take their toll on the Post processing side of things(1+ GB work files )

Anyways, that's just nerd talk.
Who knows what's in store for the future. Though something tells me that we going to need a data transfer revision sooner than later based on the direction of things.

As for the D4 and D4s, my guess is that Nikon is putting its chips on the killer rig this time around. However, rumors seems to indicate that it won't be based on the latest silicon from Sony but rather on the previous generation and so what might of seemed jaw dropping in terms of noise and dynamic range performance may end-up slightly closer than first thought. That is... if the claims by Sony hold true. Which is(based on their own horn) that they have just reached another milestone in DR, noise and color capacity which according to them, will be nothing short of revolutionary. Which almost seems surreal considering the last leap we've seen!

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this summer's going to shape-up in terms of sensor development on both sides of the fence(APSC/FF). Because I think things are really going to get real hot.

fun fun fun
07-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

From the rumor mill, seems Sony will also be announcing a new NEX flagship model very soon, the NEX 7, which will be using the same 24mp sensor as the A77.

I cant wait to see them both in person...

Jason

07-06-2011, 04:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
No kidding(on the HD quote).
I have individual catalogues in Lightroom for each year and each make of camera. Leica M9/M8 are the only two cameras I lump together. I have several catalogues for the files from my Canon DSLR cameras though I keep the APS-C bodies separate. I have three catalogues each for my Nikon DSLR cameras the D3s,D300 and D200 - with Pentax I keep the files from the K10 and K-7 in separate catalogues. I keep three backups of each catalogue and the size of each catalogue is roughly 15Gb each (give or take) and on top of that there are my 4X5 and 8X10 drum scans which chew up 1.5 Gb each, and then there are my 120 film scans which are about 250Mb and the 35mm film scans are 1/4th that size on average.

Owning as many cameras as I do puts computer storage infrastructure under strain - and my wallet.