Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Samsung patents shallow DOF for compacts

Samsung camera patent focuses on refocusing

QuoteQuote:
Samsung’s solution is to create a digital camera that actually has two cameras inside of it. Both cameras would take the image: One would use a lower resolution while the other deferred to a higher resolution. The camera’s processor would mold the images into one photo and would produce a picture with the desired subject in focus and the background blurred.

07-24-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Recall my high school physics teacher saying that people are well suited to the job
of producing a lens.Briefly,his opinion was that we screw up so much,polishing
comes out 'perfect'.Sounds like those few,odd ball screwups are being
engineered out of a job.
07-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A Radical Idea

I think most lens-polishing is by machines. People screw up too much. In fact, I *KNOW* that time travel into the past is impossible, just because of that. See, humans screw-up stuff. If time travel into the past were possible, somebody would have traveled back to The Big Bang, and they would have screwed it up, and then we wouldn't be here. Our very existence disproves the possibility of time travel, eh?

But I digress. I have an idea, building upon but diverging from the Samsung patent that's the subject of this thread. And it can be accomplished in software! It's like this:

* Update the firmware to add a new Program-Line option: SELECTABLE FOCUS (SF). With this enabled and an A-type or AF lens mounted, the camera always tries to use the smallest aperture possible, for the greatest DOF. Of course this will work best at focal lengths under 50mm, maybe under 40mm. With an AF lens, the camera might also prefocus for DOF from nearby to infinity, and tell you the DOF range, which may be adjusted by spinning an e-dial.

* A new SELECTABLE FOCUS plug-in for PS and other editors will read SF-tagged files and generate a very-low-res copy. You then select the points / areas you want in and out of focus, maybe with various bokeh-types applied to OOF areas. The software blends the hi- and lo-res copies to achieve the desired sharpness and bokeh in the output image.

Do I need to file a patent?
07-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
most lens-polishing is by machines
Sure is nowdays,kinda takes the fun out of it.

SELECTABLE FOCUS (SF).
Not poking fun at you,but cant help but notice name sounds as much like
human trait as programable feature.
Really like concept of bokeh library,menu,etc.

Do I need to file a patent?
You have your abstract right here Sir,Im your witness.