Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

Nikon D5100 in red! Does it look all too familar?

I just read that Nikon has come up with red D5100's

When I saw the white Pentax models about 2 years ago, I thought they were elegent. Then when I saw the techni color array of K-r's, I thought some colors looked aweful! (to my taste). It made me think, why is pentax the only company in this color spree? Are they desperately trying out something to improve sales? (improving sales is what everybody does). Ofcourse, we have the colored Panasonic Lumix's. But I'm talking about mainstream SLRs here. And now when Nikon came up with the red D5100, I couldn't help but smile

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Anil

09-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's obviously a ploy to increase sales but there is nothing wrong with giving the buyers what they want and there are plenty of people that want gimmicks. It could appeal to someone that wants a quality camera but also likes the colors or it could also apeal to uninformed buyers that are not really going to look at the specs or reviews and make decisions based on things like megapixels alone or color and screen size. Its not that those features don't matter but there are plenty of people that decide to buy a camera based just on things like that.

We sell 100$ and under point and shoot cameras at my work and it is not uncommon for people to turn down a camera that they came looking for because we were out of the color they wanted (particularly pink ones for women). Similarly I have seen plenty take a low quality high megapixel camera over a higher quality lower mega pixel camera in the same price range, and these are people that will probably never print bigger than 4x6, so they don't need 14MP.
09-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Why should a camera be black?

Photography is a visual medium, it makes sense that enthusiasts are going to be attracted to aesthetic elements of the tool itself.
09-11-2011, 05:52 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I'd imagine coloured cameras would be great for taking pics of toddlers and young children. I'd get one if they coloured a higher end model camera (d300, d700).

c[_]

09-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Photography is a visual medium, it makes sense that enthusiasts are going to be attracted to aesthetic elements of the tool itself.
Absolutely, both the right and left brain are involved in composing a shot and configuring exposure, why shouldn't the right brain get to be involved in the purchase too? My right brain chose a black Kr because that just happens to be my favorite color and the 55-300 kit lens didn't match the Black/white look of the "storm trooper" model that I had actually found for the same price but with some additional accessories thrown in. My left brain chose the Kr for its best-in-class low-light/high frame rate capabilities.
09-11-2011, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Spray-on semiconductors / liquid crystals exist. I predict once again: Before long, camera bodies (and all sortsa other stuff) will be coated with such stuff, so the entire camera (or whatever) will be a display screen, able to show whatever you want. Maybe a mono-colour, maybe a pattern, maybe a live view from a webcam at home, maybe the latest news. All these single-colour cams (especially black) will seem archaic, retro, groovy. Is that red leatherette real or holographic?
09-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, for me, Pentax has been a brand that gives more options & quality for the same price compared to even the leading brands. When it came to body colors, I'm not surprised that we have more options again. Just like how I was happy that pentax was the first to come up with a "rotational compensation" built into the already very-logical sensor based shake reduction in K7, I was happy about the "body-color first" Go Pentax!!!

Agree with all of you guys. Nothing wrong with another sales tactic that gives the user more. And yes, RioRico. Heard of that and I think its goint to be exciting. I'm big on aesthetics.

But for now, I'd love to see something from the, say, Ironman theme, or the F1 theme, or like Chevy's Transformer theme... Wow... wish I had the spray-on semiconductor option right now ;-)

10-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #8

Where can I find the D5100 in RED??????
10-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like color. If I didn't I wouldn't be into art of photography. I have no problem with basic black, like it in fact, but I like those candy colored cameras too. My little 5MP point and shoot that I keep in my bag is Barbie pink, and I put a little Hello Kitty sticker on it to be funny. It's not even close to being in the same league as one of my SLR/DSLR cameras but I still like it. I drive a red car. I wear brightly colored clothes. I paint my nails bright funky colors. I have several pairs of cheap eye glasses all in different colors to match my outfits. I'd cheerfully own a second K-x or a K-r in bright green or purple if I could afford it. Or maybe red or orange, or yes, hot pink. Why not? It would be fun!