Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 779 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #1996
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michelek Quote
<snip>

I bought it because I want an APS-C body and I'm planning on selling my NEX-6 and buying the A7r :-)
Love the cat pictures, they are awesome and your cats are just adorable. I love the subtle one behind the teapot. But I love the news more on you getting the A7r. It makes financial sense to get the A3000 for $50 but I will hate to hear you selling the nex6. Don't think you can replace the nex6 by A3000 completely as nex6 with your SEL 35mm f/1.8 is a compact setup and a dream combo that I am drooling all over. If I have extra money and in your shoes, I will sell the A3000 for a decent profit as in $300 body only and keep the nex6 as a spare to A7r. They are similar and yet so different in taking nex E mount natively without the EF restriction on E mount.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-07-2013 at 10:06 PM.
11-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #1997
Veteran Member

Bun Bo Wei Hue -- Vietnamese Spicy Noodle

Lens Turbo, Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.8, nex 5n, cosina 1:1 close up adapter

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-08-2013 at 11:45 AM.
11-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #1998
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote

Bun Bo Wei -- Vietnamese Spicy Noodle

Cheers,
Hin
I eat that quite often, Hin. I live and work next to little Saigon. I love mine with extra pig's feet and tons of veggies.
11-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #1999

Bun Bo Wei -- Vietnamese Spicy Noodle

Cheers,
Hin
An old lens and an adapter on top still can't reduce the sharpness of it. Awesome.
A little correction - it's Bun Bo Hue. Hue is the name of a city, pronounced Hoo-eh My favorite noodle dish.

11-08-2013, 03:26 AM   #2000

Love the cat pictures, they are awesome and your cats are just adorable. I love the subtle one behind the teapot. But I love the news more on you getting the A7r. It makes financial sense to get the A3000 for $50 but I will hate to hear you selling the nex6. Don't think you can replace the nex6 by A3000 completely as nex6 with your SEL 35mm f/1.8 is a compact setup and a dream combo that I am drooling all over. If I have extra money and in your shoes, I will sell the A3000 for a decent profit as in $300 body only and keep the nex6 as a spare to A7r. They are similar and yet so different in taking nex E mount natively without the EF restriction on E mount.

Cheers,
Hin
Thank you!

I would love to keep my NEX-6 but unfortuantely I cannot afford it... I could sell an used A3000 for no more than $200 while NEX-6 sells for ca. $600 and this is quite an important difference for me ($400 means a half of an average monthly pay in Poland).

BTW excellent food photos, very tasty :-)
11-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #2001
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I eat that quite often, Hin. I live and work next to little Saigon. I love mine with extra pig's feet and tons of veggies.
Oh, you lucky. I also work close to two Vietnamese restaurant. And it is my comfort food especially when I feel down and want a spicy bowl of noodle to fight the daily grind.

QuoteOriginally posted by prime.partisan Quote
An old lens and an adapter on top still can't reduce the sharpness of it. Awesome.
A little correction - it's Bun Bo Hue. Hue is the name of a city, pronounced Hoo-eh My favorite noodle dish.
Thank you so much for your correction.

Thank you!

I would love to keep my NEX-6 but unfortuantely I cannot afford it... I could sell an used A3000 for no more than $200 while NEX-6 sells for ca. $600 and this is quite an important difference for me ($400 means a half of an average monthly pay in Poland).

BTW excellent food photos, very tasty :-)
That makes more sense now. All the best to you. I will envy your A7r. I am usually late into the purchase of bodies as I am now having SERIOUS problem finding my lenses next to my bed. "Honey and boys, don't look!" is my daily grind when my boys and sweetheart pass by my lens collection -- they are left on the floor as I ran out of shelve space and empty bags to house them properly. Starting up some sale thread in PF does not get me anywhere -- buyers are few and bargain hunters are many. I try to stick to my book if I can't sell my less used gear, I can't get the A7 that I want.

Do any of you have any experience or knowledge about the kit lens with 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 (?) and I actually will consider the kit lens if that is a reasonable lens to get as I like to have at least one AF lens to start the full frame journey.

For all the NEX faithfuls, please help me unload some of my gear. Here are my started threads and you can pay close attention to what I put up for sale NEXT. I am even thinking of giving up my other good primes with Cosina 55mm f/1.2, Tamron SP 24mm f/2.5, Pentax 645N lenses with 120 and Leave Shutter in 135mm f/4, like new K-7, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 (the new one), along with others.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-09-2013 at 09:16 AM.
11-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #2002
Veteran Member

For all the NEX faithfuls, please help me unload some of my gear. Here are my started threads and you can pay close attention to what I put up for sale NEXT. I am even thinking of giving up my other good primes with Cosina 55mm f/1.2, Tamron SP 24mm f/2.5, Pentax 645N lenses with 120 and Leave Shutter in 135mm f/4, like new K-7, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 (the new one), along with others.

Cheers,
Hin
You're making some serious sacrifices there, Hin. However, I don't think 1.2 is necessary on FF. Are you going to have any remaining Pentax cameras? That should all put you very close to the A7, good luck.

I too, have too much camera equipment and not enough space. After having my son, I no longer have room for any of my things, and our new house is even smaller than the old one. My camera equipment is everywhere. I need to get it more organized.

11-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #2003

Fortunately I can keep most of my lenses at work :-)

But they just keep coming, I don't know how it happens... ;-)

A new purchase:
11-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #2004
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
nex6 with your SEL 35mm f/1.8 is a compact setup and a dream combo that I am drooling all over.
I agree - pretty much the ideal combination in terms of form factor, weight, quality and usability.

Delivers nice bokeh in everyday shooting scenarios.

And it's such an unassuming camera - I feel comfortable getting other people to take photos of me - I frame it for them, and get them to press the shutter. Here's a picture of me taken on Mon:
11-09-2013, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #2005
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I agree - pretty much the ideal combination in terms of form factor, weight, quality and usability.

Delivers nice bokeh in everyday shooting scenarios.

And it's such an unassuming camera - I feel comfortable getting other people to take photos of me - I frame it for them, and get them to press the shutter. Here's a picture of me taken on Mon:
Christine, I love how that SEL 35mm f/1.8 renders the color and it works great on portraits and all around shooting as in a single prime enjoying the scene. I recently met one of the Australian contact in flickr and his photos on SEL 35mm f/1.8 are what draw me drooling all over the lens with his portraits with NEX6. If anyone has not seen portraits with SEL 35mm f/1.8, you have to visit Flickr: Stelex's Photostream photostream in flickr.

I am yet to save up money and I honestly have too much lenses that drag me down as I don't have a budget for my hobby and at this moment, I am way overspending though I am very happy with every picture that I manage to find time taking. I am rich in heart and poor in finance but manage to get by with single income for a family with 2 boys and a stay at home mom. I love my wife for her acceptance of my <acronym title="Lens Buying Addiction">LBA</acronym>/CBA but she can easily pick up the 'camera' topic and I will lose all arguments when we have a verbal fight.

The very reasons that I have STUPID ads in my bog page is to trying to make some money from advertising to fund my hobby. It doesn't work out as it is getting pennies. Readers are few and I don't have the time to keep it up and interesting. My best day with NEX is documented in As Good As It Gets Moments. It is probably one of the best days in my life with pure joy from photography and making friendship with fantastic people full of energy, courage and enthusiasm.

nex 5n and sigma 30mm f/2.8

I have great fondness of my Sigma 30mm f/2.8 and I will just imagine the SEL 35mm f/1.8 will be a dream in my bag. And I won't discard my Sigm 30mm as it has literally lifted up my joy to another level for its simple design and reliable image quality wide open in every outing.

Last edited by hinman; 11-09-2013 at 09:20 AM.
11-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #2006
Veteran Member

Fortunately I can keep most of my lenses at work :-)

But they just keep coming, I don't know how it happens... ;-)

A new purchase:
Looks good. Which flash are you using? Does it do TTL? I have the HVL43AM, but it's a bit big for most shooting.

Australian contact in flickr and his photos on SEL 35mm f/1.8 are what draw me drooling all over the lens with his portraits with NEX6
A friend of a friend works at Sony. He told me the price he could get this lens for me. It was really great, but I don't want to ask him for too many things as they're not really supposed to do that. So I have to decide one thing that I really want, and I really do like the Sigma 30. Your image above is very good, I don't think the 35/1.8 would improve it; but I know how tempting that 1.8 aperture is.
11-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #2007
Veteran Member

Looks good. Which flash are you using? Does it do TTL? I have the HVL43AM, but it's a bit big for most shooting.

A friend of a friend works at Sony. He told me the price he could get this lens for me. It was really great, but I don't want to ask him for too many things as they're not really supposed to do that. So I have to decide one thing that I really want, and I really do like the Sigma 30. Your image above is very good, I don't think the 35/1.8 would improve it; but I know how tempting that 1.8 aperture is.
Brent, I think for you case, it may make more sense to go with the Sigma 60mm f/2.8. If you look at the flickr member photo stream that I mention, he is likely using SEL 35mm f/1.8 and Sigma 60mm f/2.8 as I see quite a bunch of exif in 60mm and f/2.8. I still remember your photos of your daughter with the contax 90. Though not quite the same but the sigma can be great for portrait and a great combo with the Sigma 30.

I personally have the Sigma 60 on a higher list of priority than the SEL 35mm f/1.8 as I have the Sigma 30 to fill the role. Of course, when I save up enough or if I manage to sell my less used gear, the SEL 35 is a ideal candidate.

Cheers,
Hin
11-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #2008

I bought a small Sunpak flash, Canon version, so it works only in manual mode. It's not a problem for me as I need it really occasionally and I can use a built-in one, too.
Did you think about getting a HVL20M instead?
11-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #2009
Veteran Member

I bought a small Sunpak flash, Canon version, so it works only in manual mode. It's not a problem for me as I need it really occasionally and I can use a built-in one, too.
Did you think about getting a HVL20M instead?
I did, and I may still. I got distracted and lost a bid on one for $59. Now that is all I want to pay, which makes it difficult.
11-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #2010
Veteran Member

Brent, I think for you case, it may make more sense to go with the Sigma 60mm f/2.8. If you look at the flickr member photo stream that I mention, he is likely using SEL 35mm f/1.8 and Sigma 60mm f/2.8 as I see quite a bunch of exif in 60mm and f/2.8. I still remember your photos of your daughter with the contax 90. Though not quite the same but the sigma can be great for portrait and a great combo with the Sigma 30.

I personally have the Sigma 60 on a higher list of priority than the SEL 35mm f/1.8 as I have the Sigma 30 to fill the role. Of course, when I save up enough or if I manage to sell my less used gear, the SEL 35 is a ideal candidate.

Cheers,
Hin
It is hard to justify the 60 when I am very happy with the 50, but I do still want it. Maybe sigma will have another crazy sale.