Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #2791
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where'd you guys go? Waiting for more X20 shots? Here are a couple I took yesterday afternoon.

Ready for Easter!
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

Not so good on this one, I need to watch my settings. ISO 1600 with the on-board flash.
Mrs Rupert in her Easter dress this morning.....still looks lovely to me even if my shooting was not that good! For age 66, and still the exact same weight as the day I married her 45 years ago, I think I am a lucky guy! I take all the credit for taking excellent care of her......even if it has kept me broke!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards! Happy Easter, I hope you guys find a ton of golden eggs!

03-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #2792
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I finally found that culinary setting, fast snap before eating it, just cropped, basically.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
03-31-2013, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #2793
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I hope everyone had a nice Easter. For the first time in years it was actually a nice day today for the event.

XP1, 18-55mm

Last edited by tuco; 04-01-2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Update link
03-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #2794
Veteran Member

Jac....That looks absolutely delicious! Can't wait to try my Culinary setting on the X20....hope it is even close to yours!

Tuco...Glad your day was good,it was perfect here. Great weather, blue skies warm breeze!

I bet this little guy had a great Easter egg hunt........He's a sharp little guy, I wished him luck and he told me he "makes his own luck"! Wonder what movie he heard that on?
X20
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!

03-31-2013, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #2795
Veteran Member

I wish my wife had a USB connection so I could update the firmware on her culinary mode....
04-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #2796
Veteran Member

Mrs Rupert is no cook...I do almost all the cooking. If you ate her food, you'd understand.....and I'm not a picky eater. Remember my motto, if it's dead or moving slow, I'll try it!

Took a few snappers on Easter Sunday with the X20. I don't find it appreciably better than the X10 for snapper shooting as far as IQ. The focus speed is much faster and the info on the OVF is fantastic, but otherwise, there is no astounding difference I have found. In the studio, the better resolution is obvious very quickly.

Mrs Rupert & our oldest grandson. Quick snapper, it does pretty good at this, nothing spectacular, but plenty usable.
X20
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
04-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #2797
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I assisted on this meal because the French lady knew what to do with a navarin, and I know enough to trust that--but I cook regularly, and love it, especially on the grill... I guess I got the wire installed with my southern roots, but the refined stuff belongs to the better half, definitely.

Here's a cliche flower photo, but it is spring, and the Fuji colors are nice.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
04-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #2798
Veteran Member

Nice! Yes, Spring is finally here....gotta love it.

Spent too much of today driving around instead of shooting....but I did manage to shoot one while waiting at a long red light, using the Color Pop setting. Kind of liked it!
Regards!
X20

04-02-2013, 12:22 PM - 3 Likes   #2799
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
For the first time in years it was actually a nice day today for the event.
So nice here in the NW last weekend, clear blue skies and views of snow capped mountains...hard to beat. Cool perspective/framing on that photo and great color. I have been reading very good things about the 18-55.

Went for a hike on the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge near Coyote Wall. Views were awesome....the burger after the hike, maybe better Held up traffic a bit to get some shots of my buddy on his bike. All with the X100

04-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #2800
Veteran Member

What a beautiful set of images abieleck! Not only the quality of the images, but the look of spring! It's still snowing here in Penna today and can't wait for the weather to change.....

And I thought I would post my latest acquisition bought exclusively for my x100. Thanks the Mike Cash's recommendations as well as some others, I am now the proud owner of a pristine AF200T flash. I am usually hesitant to buy electronic gear on ebay, but it worked out great this time. The flash came with its original pouch, and doesn't have a mark on it. Works perfectly in all modes......and all for the sum of $17 to my door. I plan to use it just hand holding with my Cactus triggers for some fill light while shooting flowers and small greenery shots in the woods and flower beds.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:56 AM.
04-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #2801
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
Cool perspective/framing on that photo and great color. I have been reading very good things about the 18-55.
Thanks. Wow, great series.

That purple Easter egg I placed in those purple flowers for the actual Easter egg hunt and even though it was mostly visible, no one could see it nor did they find it. It reflected the flowers and blended right in. Ha, so I did that shot afterwards for fun. I'm really liking that zoom. At 18mm I think it is better than the prime when stopped down just a little and the zoom makes for a nice carry one lens kit.
04-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #2802
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
What a beautiful set of images abieleck! Not only the quality of the images, but the look of spring!
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks. Wow, great series.
Thanks guys! Yeah sometimes a really nice spring/fall day can blow a summer day out of the water....this was one of those times. Perfect for hiking, photography....or just about anything

Interesting flash Storm....I haven't done any off camera flash, or much flash in general with my X100 but I hear you can get interesting results with the high sync speed available.

Tuco...that's funny, I literally didn't see that egg either until you just mentioned it....not sure how, but it does blend well.

I read one guy saying that his 35mm 1.4 ....which from what i hear is spectacular.....doesn't make it out of his bag much because the 18-55 is that good. Impressive for a "kit" style all around lens. I would love to add/upgrade to an XE-1 or X-pro 1, but I really like the 23mm prime on the X100.....still waiting for the new 23mm to come out and see how it performs.
04-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #2803
Veteran Member

Some day the Strobist community at large will discover the AF200T and drive the prices right through the roof.
04-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #2804
KGH

Rupert, I got my 43mm silver in last week and was impressed with the "pop" it had and the ability to take a photo inside at f1.9 and it appear to have been lit with photo lights. That is very unique and I have never experinced that. But I was afraid at first that the legendary sharpness was lacking in this lens or overhyped. So I printed out a sharpness chart and even though I would never take pictures of charts unless someone paid me, to ease my curiosity I took 8 of my lenses and compared the results. The 43mm was actually the sharpest in the comparison. Second was a SMC Takumar 55mm, third which was a real suprise since it has the worst contrast and diffraction, was the Tamron AF 70-300mm, 4th was my Cosmicar 35-70mm F4 lens at 49mm. etc, etc, the worst and it was worst by a mile was the 18-55 DA first gen lens, it was incredibly bad in the chart test. But all this says is that these are sharp taking pictures of a chart, and not real world photos. And it only deals with sharpness, and nothing else. Also the test was only at F8, I didn't deal with other stops, all the lenses I tested had this aperture. My Tak bayonnet didn't fair well, for example, but I love to use it for close up portraits in open shade. I don't think any of this has anything to do with Fuji cameras, who have a great system going on now as well, but I just wanted to compliment some of these great X100, and X20 shots I saw on this last page today. Looking good.
04-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #2805
Veteran Member

KGH.....The 43 Ltd is indeed a fine lens, and my favorite for studio work. You will enjoy it immensely!

Cleaning out my SD card and found this candid from Saturday. WB is off some...still had the strobe light setting......For candids the X20 has greatly improved with the fast AF...very fast indeed! Beats my K5 by a mile!
Regards!

X20[IMG] [/IMG]