Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #31
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Day one- over 1000 members, 1000 posts, and almost 1000 images- more than I could ever hope for! Guess you guys really like the new forum software and the atmosphere
i like everything except the forum layout/design. I'm so used to the clean, and simple layout of the 'classic' board style here, that I just feel lost and confused trying to navigate the forums. I also don't care for dark forum styles in general. I can't make any comments on the community as of yet, but there are certainly a number of very interesting and great board additions I really like, especially the 'pop up' member profile box when you click on a user avatar. a great way to quickly see member info, that I think should be incorporated here.

01-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
i like everything except the forum layout/design. I'm so used to the clean, and simple layout of the 'classic' board style here, that I just feel lost and confused trying to navigate the forums. I also don't care for dark forum styles in general. I can't make any comments on the community as of yet, but there are certainly a number of very interesting and great board additions I really like, especially the 'pop up' member profile box when you click on a user avatar. a great way to quickly see member info, that I think should be incorporated here.
Adam: +1 the exciting start and on the general Forum uptake!!

+1 on skin / color scheme. With my vision I really have trouble using the Forum - same goes for my new Adobe software. Gray/Gray/Black doesn't wor well for many people who have trouble with contrast
01-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The software I'm using over there is a lot more modern in many ways as what we have here, but it's not customized nearly as much. In the distant future I'd definitely like to modernize things, but re-writing the equipment databases, marketplace system, and all that jazz will take a lot of time and effort.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The software I'm using over there is a lot more modern in many ways as what we have here, but it's not customized nearly as much. In the distant future I'd definitely like to modernize things, but re-writing the equipment databases, marketplace system, and all that jazz will take a lot of time and effort.
Well you know how it is. People always take the good stuff for granted and complain about the one little thing that bothers them. Like many Chicken Littles here.

C-E should be a really interesting Forum. Glad I was able to join at the start.

01-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well you know how it is. People always take the good stuff for granted and complain about the one little thing that bothers them. Like many Chicken Littles here.

C-E should be a really interesting Forum. Glad I was able to join at the start.
that is the one thing that really feels different to me, chicken little hasn't migrated

I like the new site alot (apparently as I've outposted Adam over there lol, i need to get back to working and off the forums for a bit it think)
01-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I like the site. The only problem I've encountered is the link to the site doesn't work in my email notifications.
01-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #37
Veteran Member

To expand upon what Eddie and others have mentioned, the atmosphere over there is very civil, but it won't last. Pimple-faced and disgruntled people emboldened by the anonymity of the internet are bound to find and try to disrupt it. There is very little administrators can do about it, but members can do a lot by not taking the bait. If something is obviously a personal attack, don't justify it with a reply. That's exactly what they want, and if they can't get it, they go elsewhere.

01-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #38

Photos: Albums
CMS software I've written myself
I know this isn't the place for this, but as a fellow web developer, what CMS did you build?
01-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
To expand upon what Eddie and others have mentioned, the atmosphere over there is very civil, but it won't last. Pimple-faced and disgruntled people emboldened by the anonymity of the internet are bound to find and try to disrupt it. There is very little administrators can do about it, but members can do a lot by not taking the bait. If something is obviously a personal attack, don't justify it with a reply. That's exactly what they want, and if they can't get it, they go elsewhere.
agreed, with all the other button options at the bottom of posts there needs to be a troll button. get enough troll hits and the account is closed works for me
01-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The new site has post ratings - if there's a troll, give them negative ratings!

We'll do our best to keep those people off the site, even if it means excluding them entirely. Right now, there seems to be a good blend of Pentax, Canon, and Nikon users, and nobody's yelling at each other!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #41
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnie0674 Quote
I know this isn't the place for this, but as a fellow web developer, what CMS did you build?
The homepages here and at camera-enthusiast are both custom-built. I'm also trying to design a simple, next-gen web framework and these homepages are my sandboxes for that Once that's developed, I will be working on a generic CMS product that others can download and use for free and integrate with their forums.

Adam

01-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #42
Veteran Member

The new site has post ratings - if there's a troll, give them negative ratings!

We'll do our best to keep those people off the site, even if it means excluding them entirely. Right now, there seems to be a good blend of Pentax, Canon, and Nikon users, and nobody's yelling at each other!
So far i haven't needed it (whether someone needed it for me is another issue) But I will say that so far all the things i love about PF are there and none of the stuff i hate. And the broader community is really nice to see. I'm sure the mods will see the trolls when they come and address it as much as they can. Excellent mod team over there as well Adam
01-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I'm sure the mods will see the trolls when they come and address it as much as they can. Excellent mod team over there as well Adam
That would be me, in part. I'm on the team there and I'll do my best. Door's always open if you need help.
01-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #44
Banned

Photos: Albums
PF has an excellent mobile version of the site - it would be great to make one for CE as well.
01-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #45
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Coming in Q2 (although the homepage already has a mobile version).

Adam