Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2017, 09:10 AM   #1651
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I accidentally ended up with a GX7 and now my dad has it and I have a GX-1. If you want to play in M43 get an older body and a kit lens like the 12-32 and give it a whirl. I use mine as the light carry anywhere camera for situations where the K-3 is too much. I have no premium glass and just have small short pancake style lenses (14-42 Panasonic PZ f/3.5-5.6, 35-100 f/4-5.6, 20 f/1.7, 9mm f/8 Body Cap Fisheye. the whole thing is silly light and small. I have the GX-1 and the VF-2 viewfinder (also fits my LX7). If you don't need a viewfinder there are a ton of bodies out there. But beware... the little things are addictive.
I can already imagine the amount of trouble that I'd get into with the wife. Hahaha!

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, stop looking....but start again and look@ the GH5 and GX850.....lots of choice and with the rapid release of bodies the costs come down pretty quick.
Haahaha! I've been looking at the GH5, but the wife.....

QuoteOriginally posted by Sinister Quote
I started with an EPL3, kit and 45mm. Now I have a very extensive kit and my Pentax covers dust, so be careful
I see!

QuoteOriginally posted by mano Quote
Yeah, me too. I mean, I was at that point last year. Got a second hand Oly M5 with the 12-50mm and started playing around with it. Then I saw the Olympus cashback offer (in Germany) and thought I might try the 25 F1.8. Then I bought myself the 75-300mm and the 60mm macro for Christmas and just a few hours ago I pulled the trigger on the Panaleica 15mm on 'bay.

In other words, leave while you still can!

Edit: Also considering getting a cheap Pen and have it converted to IR.
I love the whole M43 thing. My younger brother has the Olympus OMD E-M5II with a zoom & a couple of primes & they exude all kinds of quality. My dad has the OMD E-M1 & the 7-14mm f/2.8 Pro lens, 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro lens, & 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro lens. He's now seriously considering selling off all his Nikon gear & picking up the OMD E-M1II & the 12-100mm f/4 Pro lens along with the other Pro primes & he'd probably still have some change left over!

I'm still not 100% committed to Pentax yet. I have 2 K-50 bodies, DA-L 18-55mm kit lens, DA-L 50-200mm kit lens, DA 35mm f/2.4, & DA 50mm f/1.8. I really like the underdogness of Pentax & the only reason that I haven't left is that I have been quite pleased with the images from the K-50. My only gripe is the AF performance in low light & if movement is involved as well, the AF is almost absolutely useless. Even the contrast detect only OMD E-M5II does far better in this respect & that is a mirrorless camera! Aren't DSLR's supposed to have better AF performance overall?

I'm ready for a Pentax APS-C flagship, but the current K-3/3II does nothing for me & after reading countless reviews, the AF performance seems to not be as good as the D7200, which I have access to. That thing trounces my K-50 as far as AF acquisition, speed, & tracking, but then again the D7200 is an orange & my K-50 is an apple. I'm waiting to see what Pentax does with their next flagship. I'm really hoping for improved AF that at least meets or exceeds the D7200, improved IBIS with 5-axis or something equivalent, & improved high ISO image quality. If AF is not to par with the current offerings from Canon or Nikon, I might unload my Pentax gear join you M43 guys.

I've been a fan of the Olympus M43 stuff due to their 5-axis IBIS implementation that allows me to shoot in low light at very low ISO hand held far better than what my K-50 can do, but now that I see Panasonic implementing 5-axis IBIS as well in their newer offerings, things have gotten rather interesting in the M43 world. I guess I'll see what happens later this year with Pentax. If they deliver, I'll be staying. If they don't.....

And I'm also away that I'll be losing DR, DOF, blah, blah, blah, blah when going to M43, but I've already shot enough ISO 6400 shots with the old OMD E-M1 & the newer OMD E-M5II to know that those images still look pretty damn good to me.

Now back to the images! I want to see more!

01-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #1652
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An interesting observation was made by a GX-7 convert. He found the GX-7 outperformed the OMD-EM5 5 axis stabilization with only 3 axis stabilization. He was shocked. He repeated the tests multiple times. His experience is mirrored in terms of outcome by my own. The GX-7 is phenomenal at IBIS it doesn't make sense to me how good it is.

The newer GX8/GX85 are things I have not tried. I have a GX-1 right now and I really miss the stabilization. It makes using adapted lenses a lot less attractive. I just sold off my Olympus 17mm f/2.8 and Sigma 30mm f/2.8 since neither was stabilized and the kit lenses were so hand holding was easier using the kit lens (14-42 and 35-100). I also found the 35-100 was much sharper at 35mm than the Sigma at 30mm - at the same f/stop. Don't get me wrong the Sigma is a good lens but the 35-100 is pretty freakin' amazing. I hold it in my hand and think how large the f/70-200 lenses were for 35mm and just marvel at this tiny gem.
01-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #1653
Veteran Member

Anyone has heard anything about release date of the Leica 8-18 lens? Price?
01-11-2017, 10:34 AM   #1654
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I've been a fan of the Olympus M43 stuff due to their 5-axis IBIS implementation that allows me to shoot in low light at very low ISO hand held far better than what my K-50 can do, but now that I see Panasonic implementing 5-axis IBIS as well in their newer offerings, things have gotten rather interesting in the M43 world. I guess I'll see what happens later this year with Pentax. If they deliver, I'll be staying. If they don't.....

And I'm also away that I'll be losing DR, DOF, blah, blah, blah, blah when going to M43, but I've already shot enough ISO 6400 shots with the old OMD E-M1 & the newer OMD E-M5II to know that those images still look pretty damn good to me.

Now back to the images! I want to see more!
Or ... you could run two systems. Retain a hold in Pentaxland since those 24 mpx Sony sensors are really good ... and add a modest M43 set-up, something like an Olympus EM10 Mark II (or Panasonic GX85) with a couple of primes. This would not cost all that much and could make a formidable street and casual kit. If video is your thing, the Panasonics are bound to be much stronger at it.

To see what the Oly EM10 Mark II can do, take a look at Robin Wong's blog if you don't know it (he is an Olympus ambassador, I think). Most though not all of the posts over the past 12-18 months feature images he's taken using the EM10 Mark II - an inexpensive but capable camera. You'll need to get past some of the more recent posts which feature an LX100, the new EM1 Mark II and a Pen-F, I think.

01-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #1655
Pentaxian

Haahaha! I've been looking at the GH5, but the wife.....
An enormous amount of YouTube stuff has been revealed since the official announcement....

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 04:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Or ... you could run two systems
Yes, K1 and GH5 !
01-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #1656
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Or ... you could run two systems. Retain a hold in Pentaxland since those 24 mpx Sony sensors are really good ... and add a modest M43 set-up, something like an Olympus EM10 Mark II (or Panasonic GX85) with a couple of primes. This would not cost all that much and could make a formidable street and casual kit. If video is your thing, the Panasonics are bound to be much stronger at it.

To see what the Oly EM10 Mark II can do, take a look at Robin Wong's blog if you don't know it (he is an Olympus ambassador, I think). Most though not all of the posts over the past 12-18 months feature images he's taken using the EM10 Mark II - an inexpensive but capable camera. You'll need to get past some of the more recent posts which feature an LX100, the new EM1 Mark II and a Pen-F, I think.
It gets way too expensive to do that. I can only stay with one system. I'll know what to do once Pentax releases whatever info/specs they have on their upcoming flagship. The online reviews & user reviews will also give me an idea.

It basically boils down to this. I'll either get the new Pentax APS-C flagship & more Pentax PLM & DC lenses by the end of this year if Pentax delivers a camera that can spank the D7200 (I'm not asking for D500 performance) or I'll be unloading my Pentax gear & making the switch to the M43 system instead. I can already borrow excellent M43 lenses from my dad if I need to. In either case, I'll be fairly happy with Pentax or M43.
01-11-2017, 11:18 PM   #1657
Pentaxian

I keep having thoughts of unloading my Pentax gear & getting an Olympus OMD E-M1 or a Panasonic G85/G80 every time I see this thread. I need to stop looking. Hahaha!
Just some guys here make very good photos (not me ). They would do the same with any gear.

01-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #1658
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
An interesting observation was made by a GX-7 convert. He found the GX-7 outperformed the OMD-EM5 5 axis stabilization with only 3 axis stabilization. He was shocked.
I don't know if it's the same person, but the only person on the internet I know of who found the GX-7 stabilization to be better than the E-M5 is Tyson Robichaud, who published his "tests" here. Most photographers that I have run across with experience with the 2 axis ISIS of the GX-7 and the 5 axis ISIS of Oly cams regard the Oly cams as clearly superior. As one reviewer put it, "While [the GX-7] did a decent job when I was using the very best technique, the problem I had with the in-body IS on the GX7 wasn’t that it couldn’t stabilize at slower speeds, but that it couldn’t do so consistently. Ultimately, I couldn’t trust the IBIS to steady the shot at anything below about a one stop advantage over the traditional hand holding rule. Meanwhile, with the best optical stabilizers and the OM-D’s IBIS, I can count on those systems to give me a full three stops easily, with the occasional 4 to even 5 stops in the right circumstances." In short, this seems to be a YMMV type of situation, with most photographers getting better results out of the Oly cams.

One of the main advantages of 5 axis stabilization is that it is significantly better at extreme distances: macro and infinity. I've never shot with any of Panasonics stabilized cameras, so I can't compare Oly to Pany, but I can compare Oly to my K-5 cameras. The Oly 5 axis stabilization is better at wide to short tele distances, and it is significantly better at long distances. Therefore, for landscape photography I find that I need to use my Pentax cameras on a tripod, whereas the Oly cams are used almost exclusively for hand-held work.

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Anyone has heard anything about release date of the Leica 8-18 lens? Price?
That lens is still under development. I would guess we'll probably see it sometime in the next year or so, and that it will be priced north of $1,000. I'm curious as to what the lens will weigh. The new Panaleica 12-60 weighs only 320 grams, which I find quite impressive for a lens of that quality, range, and aperture. The Oly FT 12-60 weighs almost twice as much. I'd be tempted by the 8-18 if it comes under 300 grams and didn't suffer from the purple flare issues of the Pany 7-14 when used on Oly cams.
01-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #1659
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the context. My own use of the gx-7 gave me consistent slow shutter results at least 2 stops under 1/fl if not better. My experience was it was similar to my k-3.
01-13-2017, 11:06 AM - 6 Likes   #1660
Pentaxian

With the Pany 45-175:

01-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #1661
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
With the Pany 45-175
Super image 😀❤
01-14-2017, 09:20 AM - 3 Likes   #1662
Veteran Member

9-18mm

01-14-2017, 11:54 AM - 3 Likes   #1663
Veteran Member

BMW R nineT Scrambler on the shores of Cayuga Lake
by John Flores, on Flickr

Still tweaking the white balance on this one...

Taughannock Falls

The road descends to Cayuga Lake
01-15-2017, 06:24 AM   #1664
Veteran Member

Does anyone here have experience with the Panasonic 14-140? I'm planning on some travelling in my spring break and want to go as light as possible. As much as I love my Pentax kit, the GF7 is great for excursions - I just forget it's around my neck, it's so light.

This with GF7, 12-32.

01-16-2017, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #1665
Veteran Member

TSISER