Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8140 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2021, 07:56 AM   #4306
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
How can this be!? :sad:
I currently have three different formats and two compact cameras. I realized I’m willing to use my Sony RX100IV most of the time when m43 would be the choice otherwise. It means my Pentax apsc gear will be going on more trips.

The m43 image quality hasn’t been an issue for me, mostly it’s just a need to stop playing in so many ponds. It’s hard to maintain three separate formats across four brands. Analysis paralysis sets in. The 55-300 PLM is likely to be acquired to offset the loss of the 45-175 on m43. I like the fact that it retracts and is a speedy focusing lens and I won’t miss the power zoom on the 45-175. I may regret the decision (sellers remorse) but I think I need to do this. Too many disparate systems make me an Uncle of all systems and master of none. Meaning I have trouble going deep into the extra features off many of the cameras due to too many to master.

12-29-2021, 08:19 AM   #4307
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I currently have three different formats and two compact cameras. I realized I’m willing to use my Sony RX100IV most of the time when m43 would be the choice otherwise. It means my Pentax apsc gear will be going on more trips.
Sony has no soul. :P Doesn't stop me from wanting an A7 for ap though. I just looked at that compact and if I wasn't such a lens collector I'd probably have been happy with one of those for hiking too. Reminds me of the Canon g1x I used for years in similar situations. I replaced it with the em5ii after seeing a rare for the area bald eagle and not having a long enough zoom.
I would go have a look and possibly help you out but I'm poor right now. Lots of hiking time is good, but doesn't buy new toys. I've been considering cleaning out my dormant camera drawer myself, but I'll probably just box it all and send it to Robert's or something. It's all old and less loved stuff I got cheap. Canon M1, t1i, a few weird and off brand pk lenses I never use, that sort of thing. Selling stuff seems so stressful.
12-29-2021, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #4308
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony has no soul. :P Doesn't stop me from wanting an A7 for ap though. I just looked at that compact and if I wasn't such a lens collector I'd probably have been happy with one of those for hiking too. Reminds me of the Canon g1x I used for years in similar situations. I replaced it with the em5ii after seeing a rare for the area bald eagle and not having a long enough zoom.
I would go have a look and possibly help you out but I'm poor right now. Lots of hiking time is good, but doesn't buy new toys. I've been considering cleaning out my dormant camera drawer myself, but I'll probably just box it all and send it to Robert's or something. It's all old and less loved stuff I got cheap. Canon M1, t1i, a few weird and off brand pk lenses I never use, that sort of thing. Selling stuff seems so stressful.
I’ve set myself a short window to sell here. Then whatever doesn’t sell is keh/mpb/Roberts bound. It’s easier to sell to them for sure but I wanted to give a few people the option on good deals and it seems to be workable. I have three lenses already tentatively sold.
12-29-2021, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #4309
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It’s easier to sell
Its not!

I find selling camera gear worse than a death in the family! Much worse than divorce.

I realise I have to rationalise my stuff next year but have to wait for some of the new announcements.

M43 is staying for me, as is Pentax Q!

12-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #4310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Its not!

I find selling camera gear worse than a death in the family! Much worse than divorce.

I realise I have to rationalise my stuff next year but have to wait for some of the new announcements.

I find it pretty easy to sell gear that doesn't click with me, for stuff that does I have noticed that I can still get bored of it, I think I'm learning not to sell that even if I have a hankering for something new. That's how I'm on my third Panasonic 20mm lens...
12-29-2021, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #4311
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Its not!

Minor change to my intent… lol. I’m saying that after you make the decision to sell - selling to those groups is less trouble than selling individually.

Sellers remorse is real. I struggled hard with this decision for many months. I have only sold a small amount of things over the years.
12-29-2021, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #4312
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I currently have three different formats and two compact cameras
Three eh! Yeah...I'm trying to stick to two, but it's hard. Compacts don't count though (but I do have too many of them).

Sony has no soul. :P Doesn't stop me from wanting an A7 for ap though.
Yeah...if they weren't the gorilla in the room, I'd have probably picked one up by now. Still a possibility...that Sony 200-600mm is pretty good, just that my E-M1ii with the 100-400mm is pretty good too at a much lower price. I do sometimes wish I had better low light performance though, and maybe more pixels. If I sold all of my M43 gear, I'd still be $1k-$2k shy of affording an A7RIV and 200-600mm (and I'd have given up multiple bodies and lenses to do so).

I don't enjoy selling either. Stressful. Not that I mind letting some things go...it's just the sale and shipping of expensive items, and the worry that one may hit a dishonest buyer or such. That said, I've mostly gotten pretty good prices for my gear, and the upside is putting that money towards shiny new things!

I did very much regret selling my KP...but that may be more to do with seeing how rarely they come up for sale these days. Seems I loved the camera more in hindsight than I did when I owned it (even so, I did enjoy using it).

12-29-2021, 08:23 PM - 6 Likes   #4313
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
12-30-2021, 07:22 AM   #4314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote

Yeah...if they weren't the gorilla in the room, I'd have probably picked one up by now. Still a possibility...that Sony 200-600mm is pretty good, just that my E-M1ii with the 100-400mm is pretty good too at a much lower price. I do sometimes wish I had better low light performance though, and maybe more pixels. If I sold all of my M43 gear, I'd still be $1k-$2k shy of affording an A7RIV and 200-600mm (and I'd have given up multiple bodies and lenses to do so).
That sums up my feelings for the two little half frame cameras I have as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote
I did very much regret selling my KP...but that may be more to do with seeing how rarely they come up for sale these days. Seems I loved the camera more in hindsight than I did when I owned it (even so, I did enjoy using it).
I keep hearing good things about those and it might replace my now battered k50 next year if I have work. The K50 feels like something is loose in the body after using the rock solid little mirrorless so much. [clickcrunk] but it handles tough lighting situations better.

I hate selling stuff too but really need to get over it for some things. I have remnants of old hobbies dating back decades and my house is much too small. :P
12-30-2021, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #4315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's one from the em5ii with a 14-42 ez zoom. It was really hazy and shooting right into the sun always drives the light meter crazy so I had to do some editing for context. Sums up the end of a good hike though, even after driving all the way up to Buffalo mtn. preserve and being turned back by a very full parking lot, my backup plan of the Parkway's Black ridge trail worked out better.
12-30-2021, 07:48 AM   #4316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The galley for the officers' mess on the USS Missouri. You cannot expect officers to eat sailor's food. Pany G8, Oly 12~100 f4. A lot of stainless steel on any commercial or professional kitchen. If you're willing to scrub hard enough, almost anything can be cleaned off stainless steel, it is easily sanitized and extremely durable. Just about the ideal material for a kitchen and all utensils except maybe a cutting board and rolling pin.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 12-30-2021 at 07:54 AM.
12-30-2021, 07:52 AM   #4317
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a quick pano I made using Hugins pano creator with the em5ii and an Oly 17mm f2.8 pancake. It's a very enjoyable little lens but does need a hood as it flares pretty easily. I hold up my off hand to block it out in a pinch. My other goto "street" lens is a 25mm f1.8 I was really excited to buy, but it is having light issues. I need to see if a firmware update might help, but booting to windows isn't high on my list of fun things to do.
(Foss is for freedom)

12-30-2021, 07:58 AM   #4318
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Blues_hawk: Your last two posts just above are not showing images on my monitor.
12-30-2021, 08:01 AM   #4319
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The galley for the officers' mess on the USS Missouri. You cannot expect officers to eat sailor's food. Pany G8, Oly 12~100 f4. A lot of stainless steel on any commercial or professional kitchen. If you're willing to scrub hard enough, almost anything can be cleaned off stainless steel, it is easily sanitized and extremely durable. Just about the ideal material for a kitchen and all utensils except maybe a cutting board and rolling pin.
Check out that floor mounted mixer! I fixed a Quisinart counter top one a while back. Very sturdy machines. I think the thing on the right might be either a pressure broiler? ..or it could be a steam washer - called a submarine. I've heard of such things but I've never seen one in the wild.
12-30-2021, 08:02 AM   #4320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Blues_hawk: Your last two posts just above are not showing images on my monitor.
ARG! My self hosted website must have issues again. Thanks for the heads up.

https://smithriverphoto.burritochat.net is the site if anybody wants to browse.

[update] Problem found. For some reason the new certificate is invalid. Letsencrypt is kind of garbage.

[update2] I think that's got it.

Last edited by blues_hawk; 12-30-2021 at 08:30 AM.