Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 08:13 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Micro Four Thirds Club

As the title says, if you have a MFT camera and want to share your experience using it, this thread is meant for it. Please mention the camera and lenses used.

To start, here are a few shots from my E-PL2 with the Nokton 25/0.95:

Last edited by Laurentiu Cristofor; 04-16-2012 at 11:47 PM.
01-15-2012, 08:26 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll join in the fun.

This is a shot I took while testing out the Panasonic m4/3 14-42mm zoom on my Olympus E-P1.
Lighting courtesy of the sun and a cookie sheet.
01-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Been a long time since posting here because my K-5 and K20D are both out for servicing and have been put on hold due to parts backorder from Japan.. No choice but to keep shooting with my E-P2 (which I really like) and a borrowed Nikon set-up (D300 and some big zooms, which I really can't get used to).

Anyway, I recently got a K to M4/3 adapter that can control aperture so I can use my DA lenses (10-17 12-24, 17-50, 70-200 even!) on my E-P2. Previously had an adapter that could not control aperture so I could only use FA31 and A50.

The bigger zooms don't make sense, but it's good to be able to use a specialty lens like the fisheye on both systems now.

Here's a shot with the 10-17 on E-P2, I think the lens "feels" more like a wide-angle lens because the fisheye effect is not so pronounced with the edges cropped off by the smaller sensor. Also, the gridlines in the EVF/LCD make it much easier to compose for symmetry with the fisheye lens compared to the OVF.

Grand Central Terminal, NYC
01-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've been thinking of getting the fotodiox adapter with aperture control, but haven't yet. That shot sure makes me want it, though ... I want to try my fisheye on my GF2!

01-16-2012, 04:58 AM - 6 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Here's a few from a recent hike with the GH2

Lumix 7-14/f4

m.ZD 40-150

m.ZD 40-150

Lumix 20/f1.7

Lumix 7-14/f4

m.ZD 40-150 MSC

m.ZD 40-150 MSC

Lumix 20/f1.7

Lumix 7-14/f4
01-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Here's a few from a recent hike with the GH2
Great set Nick, I especially like #5.
How do you like the Panny 7-14mm?
01-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Great set Nick, I especially like #5.
How do you like the Panny 7-14mm?
Thanks! Optically the 7-14 is fantastic, and it also has very nice build quality. It is, however, very wide, and for a more normal walk-around wide-angle the m.ZD 9-18 may be a better option. I only use wide-angles for landscape so for me it's a perfect range.

The only two real 'issues' I have with it are:
- f4 aperture - for long exposures in very low light (eg: f4 @ 60" and 1600iso) it would be nice to have an f2.8.
- can't fit filters - this is really only problematic if you want to use ND filters for daylight long-exposures (like moving water) as you'd never use a CPL on a lens this wide anyway...

For what it's worth, both complaints are more a comment on the type of lens, rather than the Lumix specifically - f2.8 ultra-wides are massive, and almost no 14mm equivalent lenses can take filters...

01-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
This is a shot I took while testing out the Panasonic m4/3 14-42mm zoom on my Olympus E-P1.
The zoom kit lens is so much nicer than the Pentax equivalent. It may be just the fact that it focuses more accurately, but I like the results I get with it much more than the ones I was getting from the DA 18-55.
01-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The zoom kit lens is so much nicer than the Pentax equivalent. It may be just the fact that it focuses more accurately, but I like the results I get with it much more than the ones I was getting from the DA 18-55.
I agree. I tried many times to like both the 18-55 AL and the AL II version and was never happy with the results. There are many photos on the net that show, when used right, it is a fine lens but I never had much luck with it.
So far, I have only tried the Panasonic 14-42 kit lens and haven't tried any Oly versions. It seems to me that in the 14-35 range the lens is quite good but I haven't been overly impressed with the long end.
Here's a test shot I took with the GF3. This is about the best I've got at 42mm so far.
01-17-2012, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #10
Banned

Original Poster
I agree. I tried many times to like both the 18-55 AL and the AL II version and was never happy with the results. There are many photos on the net that show, when used right, it is a fine lens but I never had much luck with it.
So far, I have only tried the Panasonic 14-42 kit lens and haven't tried any Oly versions. It seems to me that in the 14-35 range the lens is quite good but I haven't been overly impressed with the long end.
Here's a test shot I took with the GF3. This is about the best I've got at 42mm so far.
I read too fast and I missed that it was the Panasonic version you were referring too. Looks similar to what I got from the Olympus version.

Sorry for reposting these, but I don't have other samples from the 14-42. These are both at 42mm wide open (f/5.6, that is ):

01-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I read too fast and I missed that it was the Panasonic version you were referring too. Looks similar to what I got from the Olympus version.

Sorry for reposting these, but I don't have other samples from the 14-42. These are both at 42mm wide open (f/5.6, that is ):
Do you know which of the Oly m4/3 14-42 lenses is supposedly better or are they pretty much the same?
01-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
Do you know which of the Oly m4/3 14-42 lenses is supposedly better or are they pretty much the same?
I don't think there is much difference between the II and the IIR. I don't know about the earlier version.
01-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Oldest version:
• able to focus closer
• wobbly barrel

Mark ii:
• supposedly sharper
• can't focus as closely (I'm not sure how much of a difference there is).
• early reviews were negative, but someone found out that if you had been using the older version on your body then you need to reset the lens in the body's control panel. After that, people seem to think it performs slightly better.
• bayonet-style hood attachment
• quiet motor for movies
• pretty fast focusing

ii R:
• better looking
• same optics as Mark ii
• ships with the latest firmware (though the Mark ii version can be upgraded to identical firmware to support faster-focusing recent bodies)
• bayonet-style hood attachment with dummy ring for cleaner appearance
• quiet motor for movies
• pretty fast focusing

The bayonet attachments, such as fisheye, macro, and tele(?) cannot fit on the oldest version. Maybe older non-bayonet versions existed, but I don't know.

That's all stuff I've seen on the internet, I don't have extensive first hand experience.
01-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't think there is much difference between the II and the IIR. I don't know about the earlier version.
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Oldest version:
• able to focus closer
• wobbly barrel

Mark ii:
• supposedly sharper
• can't focus as closely (I'm not sure how much of a difference there is).
• early reviews were negative, but someone found out that if you had been using the older version on your body then you need to reset the lens in the body's control panel. After that, people seem to think it performs slightly better.
• bayonet-style hood attachment
• quiet motor for movies
• pretty fast focusing

ii R:
• better looking
• same optics as Mark ii
• ships with the latest firmware (though the Mark ii version can be upgraded to identical firmware to support faster-focusing recent bodies)
• bayonet-style hood attachment with dummy ring for cleaner appearance
• quiet motor for movies
• pretty fast focusing

The bayonet attachments, such as fisheye, macro, and tele(?) cannot fit on the oldest version. Maybe older non-bayonet versions existed, but I don't know.

That's all stuff I've seen on the internet, I don't have extensive first hand experience.

Thanks guys,
I think I'll keep an eye out for one of the 2 latest versions.
01-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Once upon a very blue and cold day, the Fata Morgana speeded down the river IJssel ...

Last edited by PentaxMom Felua; 02-12-2012 at 02:34 AM.